Porting number to Google Voice and keeping Verizon plan
aloha7
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a very small business owner and want to share my current Verizon mobile number with a new assistant. I have 3 newly acquired devices on my Verizon unlimited plan yet to be fully paid. Can I create another number with Verizon and transfer the devices to that number and then port my current number with Verizon to Google Voice so I can keep an active plan with Verizon when I lose the old number? 

And is it the case that Verizon won't have an option for sharing a number that is as affordable as Google Voice? I have a Google Workspace account for business and would be buying their business GV Starter ($10/mo) or Standard ($20/mo) plan.  Thanks in advance for enlightening me. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You can certainly open a new line on your account. Keep in mind that when opening a new line, if you're not purchasing a new device for the new line, you will need to have a device other than the one on your existing line, so that it could be considered a "Bring Your Own Device" line: https://www.verizon.com/support/bring-your-own-device-faqs/ Once that line is established, you can definitely swap devices on the lines. However, it's important to note that if your existing device is not fully paid off before you port, you will not be able to use the phone on another carrier. Please let us know if this helps clarify further.

~Izzy

View solution in original post

3 Replies
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question. We do not have an option to share the number with other phones, it is only available with connected devices, such as smartwatches. You can move your devices to other lines and port out your number, however, any device payment agreement on the line you are porting out will need to be paid. ~Peter

aloha7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you Peter. Could I open a new phone  line on my same iPhone and move my device accounts to the new line to continue paying for them, then port my old number to a VOIP company? I would maintain a number with Verizon and keep paying down my devices there.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You can certainly open a new line on your account. Keep in mind that when opening a new line, if you're not purchasing a new device for the new line, you will need to have a device other than the one on your existing line, so that it could be considered a "Bring Your Own Device" line: https://www.verizon.com/support/bring-your-own-device-faqs/ Once that line is established, you can definitely swap devices on the lines. However, it's important to note that if your existing device is not fully paid off before you port, you will not be able to use the phone on another carrier. Please let us know if this helps clarify further.

~Izzy