$800 Verizon Trade-in issue 2021-2022
ykx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I saw a $800 dollar trade in for an Apple Iphone 13 Pro deal with Verizon. Despite having a decent phone (Samsung Note10), I decided to give it a try as it was a very good offer.

I did the usual: filling out documents and took the new iphone home and sent in my older phone once the trade-in package via UPS arrived. A few days later, Verizon confirmed it received my old phone and soon after sent me a appraisal value email at $33.33 for 24months =$799.92. I was told that the promotional credit would kick in within 1-2 business cycles. 

Fast forward 1-2 billing cycles (Jan 2022), the credit did not apply and I called Verizon to resolve this matter and told me it will be rectified again 1-2 billing cycles. 

Comes March 2022 the credit did not apply and I called Verizon to resolve this matter and told me it will be rectified again in 10 days. They did not even know what promotion I was even referring to until I provided my confirmation number of the trade-in.

FYI Verizon: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/carrier-offers
Asking Apple may be helpful, they still have the promotion information up on their website. 

May 2022: I look at the bill and only got $300 over X months credit towards my bill. I called Verizon and informed me that I did not sign up to one of their premium 5G plans and did not meet the tier level to get the full $800 dollars. If that was the case, why would I consider the upgrade or also if I really wanted to get the promotion, I would have made the plan upgrade to begin with to qualify me for the deal.

This is total non-sense, because the promotion nor did the staff did not mention any sort of plan requirement to qualify for the offer. 

They failed to meet the condition they set forth 3x on rectifying my promotional credit taking up nearly a year. Once they rectified the credit, they did not provide promised amount. 

Like forreal? Is it logical to trade in a phone that was out only for 2 years for $300 dollars and get into a 24-30month contract  when its competitors offer the same deal (and honors it) without any durational requirement.

Once I figure out my contractual duration, I am cancelling my services with these Scamm. 

54 Replies
samroney
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. I responded to the iPhone 14 "on us" offer. 

• Lie #1: Once you dig into the offer, it's not at all "on us". That's a flat out lie.  If I have to give them a trade in worth $1000, it's on me, not Verizon. If my trade in was worth a grand, I wouldn't be trading it in. The deal was supposed to be "on us"(Verizon). 
  • Lie #2: Ok,  so I had guessed there would be some kind of bait/switch catch and found out the "on us" was a lie. Now, I go ahead and just see what they'll give me for my phone anyway and consider making the deal. I put in all of the info on my phone and they offer me $400 for it- not "up to..." or "as much as.." the trade in value said $400, period. Then, I almost missed the second bait & switch, but after I pick out the service contract and go to finalize it, they pop in $11 as the trade in value. Are you f kidding me??? For $11, I'll keep it and Verizon can shove their "on us" deal right up their charging port.  

Can ya hear me now? I don't do business with con artists. I'll get my phone & service elsewhere, thank you. Verizon has lost my business after many years of putting up with bad customer service and billing errors.  I'm out.

jkennedy78
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem.

On the phone again today with Verizon today.  Identical story to others and feels like a bait and switch.  Traded in two phones back in December of 2021 and January of 2022 and each phone was assigned an $800 credit.   

Three times over the past year, I've received emails stating the promotions would be removed as a result of changing my plan.  I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY PLANS ONCE IN THE PAST YEAR.

So, I call in, explain the situation to the CSR's, they see that I have not changed plans, they see that I should be due the credit, and I am assured they would not be removed.  THEN THE CREDITS STILL GET REMOVED.  I call back in, explain it all over again, and the CSR's reverse the chargebacks and re-instate the credits.  

Each time they assure me this was a mistake, and it will not happen again.  EACH TIME IT HAS HAPPENED AGAIN.  I am now facing an $850 bill because I've again been charged back ALL of the credits received so far, and the promotions have AGAIN been removed from my account.

Isn't customer retention the whole objective of promotions to begin with?  In my opinion, the inability to get this right is going to cause Verizon to lose more customers than it retains.  This may the most frustrating experience I've had with a wireless provider, and I've had plenty of frustration.

How many people don't even notice the chargeback, or don't call back again and again when it keeps happening.   It seems like these promotions are being used to lure customers in only to have them rug pulled on some technicality after the fact.  MISLEADING AT BEST, FRAUDULENT AT WORST.

SHAME ON VERIZON FOR NOT FIXING THIS.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there, Kennedy!

I am truly glad to read in your next post that you already got a solution to this issue.

If you got any doubt or concern, please let me know, I am here for you!

We are available 24/7 just for you!

>Juan

0 Likes
huli1104
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,
Cab someone reach out and help me with 800 trade in for iPhone 13 2021-2022. It is ridiculous that numerous phone calls with customer service result in nothing. Such a waste!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, huli1104, thanks for reaching out regarding your trade-in. I'm sorry to hear you've had to reach out multiple times on this. We're glad to help ensure that this concern is resolved once and for all. So we can best assist, we will be reaching out via Private Note.

-Lauren

0 Likes
LucyMA
Enthusiast - Level 1

We traded in two old iPhones and got two new ones earlier 2022 from Verizon. We were supposed to get $800 credit for each but we nothing. My husband went to the customer service center in person in October to ask for the credit. He was told that we will get the credits in few days. Month pass by and we got nothing. He called this morning and we were told that we could only get $100 if any. They don’t honor their own words. We need to add a new line for my child and I am really worried that we won’t get the credit they are promoting.

jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

@LucyMA 

My experience is that customer service, either on here messaging or calling any of the phone numbers will not resolve your issue.   I got endless runaround promising they would help me but never any conclusion - just empty promises.    

I finally submitted a claim to the FTC (it’s super easy and quick) and within a day or two I got a call from the executive office at Verizon and spoke with a nice gentleman who understood the problem, knew how to fix it and had the authority to actually process the fix.    

I highly recommend filing a claim since it sounds like you have given ample opportunity for Verizon to do the right thing, and they failed.   

I’m hopeful if enough people report their problems with rebates and false promises that the regulating agencies will intervene and require Verizon to have better protections for customers.    

Good luck!   Report back on your outcome 🙂

0 Likes
jkennedy78
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maybe have finally got some traction.  

Sounds like Verizon at some point changed the 5G play more plan to 5G play more UW, which is  triggering the system to think I changed my plan when in fact the only thing that changed was the plan code (by Verizon, not me)

Additionally, somewhere along the line someone mixed up the phones I traded in, and removed the fact that one was a loyalty offer.  This caused the amount I was eligible for to keep getting downgrade by “revenue assurance”

Theresa, the rep I spoke with today l, helped discover both of the issues which seems to be causing most of the headache here.  

She is working to fix the billing, and I’m hopeful this will be put to bed, because none of it was a result of anything I did.  

It’s silly that it’s taken a year of multiple calls (a dozen or more) and endless amounts of frustration to figure this out.  I have to assume  amount of effort Verizon techs and managers  have spent on this could have paid out my promotions twice over by now.  Forget the fact they nearly lost another customer to boot. 

0 Likes
GinaV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been dealing with the same issue since December 2021.  Spent over an hour tonight (again) trying to work this out.  First time I called, the rep told me the trade wasn't logged in and that's why I was being billed monthly for the entire $700.  He was going to work on it and get back with me in 2 weeks.  (Maybe he meant 6 months?) Tonight the rep told me that the trade had been delayed but it wasn't for $800 - my phone only qualified for $400.  They basically said the store personnel and I were wrong, but they understood and were very sorry.  Told them I didn't want their apologies or understanding - I wanted them to make it right.  I love how they repeat everything over and over thinking it will help me understand they aren't going to honor what was offered.  I think I'll take under advisement contacting the BBB and FCC.

scammed1

Yep, I guess I fell for the s-c-a-m too. Took them up on a trade-in promotion. They said they would give me $800 each for our two phones. Nope. Sent in the old phones. Dozens of calls, dozens of chat sessions, dozens of customer service reps assuring me that the issue will be resolved, multiple 'escalation tickets', etc. They promised me $1600 and I'll never see it. Will write it up for the BBB so hopefully some other folks avoid having their phones stolen. 

0 Likes
BMill705

Same issue I'm having. Samsung website had an $800 credit promo for a trade when processing through Verizon. Months later my tickets keep getting closed with "more information needed" added to them each time I respond. All of the chat reps ignore me and add the same more information needed notes and close my tickets. I even have the proof they received and processed my trade-in device. Along with screenshots of the first agent I spoke with telling me it would be processed. No credits received yet. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting the promotion you were promised is supposed to be seamless, BMill705. We are terribly sorry that has not been the case. Please look for a private note from us, as we will need to work there to gather all the facts. 

-George

0 Likes
GKilgore
Enthusiast - Level 2

SAME ISSUE HERE.  I HAVE BEEN ON CHAT AND ON THE PHONE NUMEROUS TIMES SINCE SEPTEMBER AND NO CREDIT GIVEN.  I WILL BE REPORTING THEM TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND BASED ON THE STRESS THIS HAS CAUSED THEY BETTER BE OFFERING THIS CUSTOMER OF OVER 20 YEARS MORE THAN AN $800 CREDIT!!!!

0 Likes
GKilgore
Enthusiast - Level 2

NOTE: I am turning off AutoPay until this is resolved.  I expect my last two bills to be paid for my time and trouble.  A supervisor, vice president, or other high ranking Verizon executive can call me to resolve this ASAP.  I have never been so frustrated and appalled by the lack of customer service of Verizon as I am now.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! We would be more than happy to assist you. Can you please elaborate on your questions/concern?

*Leyla

0 Likes
GKilgore
Enthusiast - Level 2

My concern is more than well documented in my file.  You can have someone call me at 9am pst today to discuss 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! We understand that you are experiencing an issue with your services. We are here to help! Please send us a Private Message for additional assistance. We're looking forward to working with you!

*Kay

0 Likes
jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

@GKilgore @ykx @BMill705 @scammed1 

I feel your pain.   I wasted months and days and hours of my life trying to sort out issues with my trade-ins.   I was promised $2400 for trading in 4 phones and it was NON STOP issues, one after another trying to get the credits promised.   First they never sent trade-in kits.  I requested the trade-in kits again and again via all kinds of different methods, online, over the phone, over chat, etc - and the trade-in kits never arrived.  This was just one of my many, many issues.   Once they received my trade-ins, they tried credit me only pennies of the amount promised or just denied they were received.   Time and time again I called, chatted, used message boards and sometimes would get a tiny step closer to having it resolved, but never completely.   It nearly drove me insane. 

The final solution was submitting a claim to the FCC.  It's super easy and will get you in touch with someone from the executive office at Verizon who actually will LISTEN and has the intellectual ability to UNDERSTAND the issue and has the AUTHORITY to fix it.   Trust me, don't waste another second with the customer service agents.    I gave so many chances for them to make it right, I didn't feel bad at all contacting the FCC.   In fact, contacting the FCC may help fellow and future Verizon customers avoid a similar fate of endless aggravation.   If the FCC recieves enough complaints, they can document a pattern and force Verizon to clean up their act or face serious consequences.   

Here is the link to the complaint center at FCC.  It's very quick and simple and will get results:

FCC Complaints

Good luck!

joelmp
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am new customer.  I decided to take some time on my day off to see if my experiences were unique.  NOPE!  Thank you for the link to the FCC.  VZM_CS is unknowledgeable of the products and services provided.  They are unhelpful.  

0 Likes
tdridge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am so happy I found this thread.  I went in and was told I would receive $800 for my trade in.  I clarified it was not up to but actual trade in value and it was confirmed I would receive the $800.   We did the trade in and first monthly bill was incorrect.  The bill was incorrect for items we were told we would receive, items on there we didn't agree to . . .   We went into Verizon and had it corrected.  2nd month billing was also incorrect and even more than the 1st months bill that was incorrect.  I was told on one of the many issues was that the $800 credit was not applied and now they were charging me for it.  That was not what we agreed to.  Verizon store said they fixed the other issues where we were not receiving our discounts and reapplied the $800 credit.  I asked what makes you think this will go through.  They communicated to come back in Mar'23 if there was an issue still.  After reading all the issues everyone is having with the exact same thing where we are guaranteed the trade in value but then Verizon is not honoring it, I am 100% sure this is still not going to be corrected.  So disappointed because we have been with Verizon for over 20+  and was willing to go elsewhere but with this deal that I received (or thought I received) I was like nope we will stay.  This is extremely bad business practice "Verizon" and extremely difficult. I (we) shouldn't have to deal with the fraudulent promises this major company is offering but not honoring.  I will definitely be using all resources provided to stress my concern (s) to have this fixed

0 Likes