BOGO reneges offer
Ultragal
Newbie

BOGO ripoff: I was sold a BOGO offer of two Note 9 devices then got a call from sales rep saying he made a mistske, 10 days later after I've given my old device away,  and that I would need to bring the devices back to exchange for actual offered devices. How is their mistake my issue? Please give opinions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
christopherm_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hello Ultragal,

I apologize for any confusion that occurred with you and the agent in the store. We always want to ensure we are providing the best experience for all of our customers and I regret hearing about this incident. What date did you originally make this purchase? Have you gone back to the store? What did they say?

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ultragal
Newbie

Hi, the date was Dec 16th. I have spoken to two managers at the store, and am waiting on a decision. Its not likely they will honor the offer. I feel I was mislead. Mistake or not, the sales rep knew what he doing. I remain hopefull they will do the right thing.

0 Likes
dizzy442
Enthusiast - Level 3

All while mistakes do happen, he did at least try to attempt to correct his wrong. I would just go back to see what he's talking about and if you do decide to exchange, you will get the new phone while at the store. Keep in mind a $50 restocking fee may apply. Make sure you ask if exchanging the phone(s) void any credits. Keep me posted

0 Likes
Ultragal
Newbie

Unfortunately,  the more I think about it, they knew exactly what was happening.  This sales person was very knowledgeable about how the offer worked.  He even gave us 30 min or so to think about our chouces. They just eanted to trap us into buying 2k worth of phones. There's no "mistake" . We will see what corporate does. I'm not going back to that store.

0 Likes
dizzy442
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think it would be better to go to the store first VS waiting days.. weeks.. months to hear back from corporate. I could be wrong though. Hope it works out in your favor

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Neither party read the offer conditions, mistakes happen.

0 Likes