Data plans and Data usage
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here we go again. For the last year my data usage has been less than 18 GB per month except when I tried to download windows 10. Big mistake. So I was surprised when in June my data usage started to rise (again) Then in July I went way over. So I called Verizon. Guess what. They informed me that Verizon in its infinite generosity is offering me a new data plan 24 GB per month with carryover for LESS money. HA, so that's it. Just like the last time Verizon offered new plans with more data for less money. When they do my Data usage makes a dramatic increase. Of course Verizon blames it all on me and my equipment. So, just to be sure I started tracking my usage, reducing the amount of time I am online, and turning everything off when I wasn't going online. I am still using more data even though I have made these changes. Right now, even with my being careful, I am using about 1 GB per day. I have had Verizon for my internet for 4 years and NEVER used that much data on average. This is BS. I think Verizon has changed its algorithms or the way they count data or something to make up for the loss in revenue with the new plans. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want but this sudden increase in my usage and Verizon's new DATA plans is just too coincidental, and it's not the first time. I used to watch several Utube music videos every day. I have stopped doing that because it drives my Data use through the roof. I cannot get cable internet where I live and Cell phone internet or Satellite is all I can get. I can't wait for Cable to provide service here.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data plans and Data usage
Weth
Legend

You do not get general categories from your phone, it will tell you exactly which app is causing the problem.

Before you go down the conspiracy route, please look at the phone and see what it is reporting. Not the general categories that Verizon tells you. The phone will tell you THE ANSWER. If it is the PC that is causing trouble, the phone can help to since it will tell you how much the hotspot is sending to and from the PC.

If you tell us what phone you have, one of us can show you how to get the app data usage info so you can get your answer. I've been through this with relatives. Each time we find the culprit and it isn't Verizon making up data use.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The phone keeps track of what apps are using the data.  That is a separate counter than Verizon.  Look there and find out what apps are using the data and adjust appropriately.  If you don't know how to check the counters, tell us which phone you have.

By by the way a large upgrade to Windows is being pushed out, so be careful about that.

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Believe me I have gone through every suggestion Verizon has given me to look at my data usage with no answers except general categories. I have done NOTHING different in the last two months to cause this. I have even cut back on my internet usage to stop the increase and it has barely made a difference. I peruse the same sights I have done for the last couple years and have not started doing anything different. If anything I have cut back on UTUBE videos. At the end of my last billing period I used almost 3 GB in 3 days and I was shutting down my PC and Phone to try slowing down the data use. I have tried running the data analysis and I get a message saying it is not available to people with the new plan. I am not surprised. Say what ever you want I simply do not believe Verizon has not done something to effect the Data usage. I look at my Data usage for the last year and I have never used this much data except when I intentionally downloaded a large file or update which I actually did yesterday. I had to download a program that was 220 MB Twice because it did not download properly the first time. So I am well aware of what I do. I am not doing anything different. I do NOT let my PC do automatic updates EVER. I control it as much as I can. If I could get cable internet I would not be a Verizon customer I can barely use my Verizon phone for voice communication at my house but my Straight Talk works fine.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You do not get general categories from your phone, it will tell you exactly which app is causing the problem.

Before you go down the conspiracy route, please look at the phone and see what it is reporting. Not the general categories that Verizon tells you. The phone will tell you THE ANSWER. If it is the PC that is causing trouble, the phone can help to since it will tell you how much the hotspot is sending to and from the PC.

If you tell us what phone you have, one of us can show you how to get the app data usage info so you can get your answer. I've been through this with relatives. Each time we find the culprit and it isn't Verizon making up data use.

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Galaxy S4. I have tried looking at the detailed DATA usage and all I get is cannot display this information at this time. I can see total usage but no details. I also cannot see an account analysis on Verizon's website (this site) it says Data analysis is not available to people with the 24XXL plan. Why is that? Hmmmm maybe you don't want us to know? Smiley Happy I am sorry but I just do not trust Verizon. This stuff happens too often. It's kind of like the GMC dealer service department charging $700.00 for a part I could have bought online for $200 and then I find out the part wasn't bad to begin with.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

robinson007 wrote:

Here we go again. For the last year my data usage has been less than 18 GB per month except when I tried to download windows 10. Big mistake. So I was surprised when in June my data usage started to rise (again) Then in July I went way over. So I called Verizon. Guess what. They informed me that Verizon in its infinite generosity is offering me a new data plan 24 GB per month with carryover for LESS money. HA, so that's it. Just like the last time Verizon offered new plans with more data for less money. When they do my Data usage makes a dramatic increase. Of course Verizon blames it all on me and my equipment. So, just to be sure I started tracking my usage, reducing the amount of time I am online, and turning everything off when I wasn't going online. I am still using more data even though I have made these changes. Right now, even with my being careful, I am using about 1 GB per day. I have had Verizon for my internet for 4 years and NEVER used that much data on average. This is **. I think Verizon has changed its algorithms or the way they count data or something to make up for the loss in revenue with the new plans. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want but this sudden increase in my usage and Verizon's new DATA plans is just too coincidental, and it's not the first time.

If it isn't coincidence, how do you explain the millions of other Verizon customers whose data usage HAS NOT changed since the new plans took effect? I am on a 15 GB/month data allowance with 4 lines and have yet to EVER use more than 10 GB/month.

robinson007 wrote:

I cannot get cable internet where I live and Cell phone internet or Satellite is all I can get. I can't wait for Cable to provide service here.

People have to make choices in life. For every choice there is something that you have to give up in return. You made your choice, you have to live with the consequences. Just like you give up things by living where broadband cable IS NOT readily available I have given up things by living where it IS readily available. You can't have everything UNLESS you are willing to pay the price.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to access this information should be a breeze. Click here http://vz.to/21SvJ6i to view your details. These details will display date/time and how much data is being used but it will not display what is being used. When did this issue start with the Data Analysis?

AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well aren't you the lucky one to have such a wonderful Verizon experience. 10 GB on 4 lines? I guess you don't use the internet very much. None of this explains why my DATA usage took a sudden increase on 1 line when I have done NOTHING different. I am looking at my DATA usage for the 24 hour period from 6 am 8/6/2016 to 8/7/2016 and it is showing my Data usage almost 2 GB. It is also showing my overnight usage of a couple hundred MB and the Phone was turned off.  As far as paying the price goes, with Comcast I paid about $50.00 per month with High Speed UNLIMITED internet. That's UNLIMITED. I pay $110.00 for a paltry 24 GB with Verizon. 24 GB gives you enough to surf the net but if you want to watch video or listen to music you will go through that in no time.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Have you tried to see data use on your S4 using some of these methods?:

How to check data usage on your Galaxy S4 - fixedByVonnie

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

robinson007 wrote:

Well aren't you the lucky one to have such a wonderful Verizon experience. 

Yes, thank you.

robinson007 wrote:

10 GB on 4 lines? I guess you don't use the internet very much.

That would be a matter of opinion. I wouldn't consider several hours a day in the category of "you don't use the internet very much", though. You can load THOUSANDS of web pages and not hit 18 GB of data usage in a month. What I don't do is stream videos or music and if I do, I don't have the app choose what quality to load, I choose that myself. ONE HOUR of Netflix can consume up to 6 GB of data. I don't consider entertaining myself on a 6" phone screen worth it. Some do, and then get mad when they have to pay for that choice. For music streaming, I choose to download the music to my device and then listen to it. Some choose to stream music(either free or a pay service) and are amazed that they actually use data to do so. You think that "free" service is going to pay to have the music delivered to your device? No, YOU DO. I choose to pay for my music and listen to it on the device. Others choose to have a streaming service and pay for the delivery. For some, that is a valid choice, but don't then go complaining about the data cost you have to pay in order to use it. Live with your choices, or change them.

robinson007 wrote:

None of this explains why my DATA usage took a sudden increase on 1 line when I have done NOTHING different. 

Nor does it explain why the data usage of others DID NOT take a sudden increase. If it is a conspiracy as you propose, it must be a limited conspiracy.

robinson007 wrote:

I am looking at my DATA usage for the 24 hour period from 6 am 8/6/2016 to 8/7/2016 and it is showing my Data usage almost 2 GB. It is also showing my overnight usage of a couple hundred MB and the Phone was turned off. 

Data reporting is not instantaneous. It can take several hours for data usage to show up in your online profile and CAN explain how data usage can show up when your phone was turned off. I leave my phone turned on all night, every night as a bedside clock. My overnight data usage is not affected.

robinson007 wrote:

As far as paying the price goes, with Comcast I paid about $50.00 per month with High Speed UNLIMITED internet. That's UNLIMITED. I pay $110.00 for a paltry 24 GB with Verizon.

And in how many locations can you use that UNLIMITED internet with Comcast? How long of a cable and with what cost would it be if you were able to access that UNLIMITED data in as many locations as you can with your cellular device. Your Comcast UNLIMITED data is for a single location and as such does not require the infrastructure or cost as that of cellular. I also have UNLIMITED data with Verizon Fios and it is ALSO less expensive than cellular data. Imagine that, Verizon charging less money for a service which cost them less to provide. The cost of cellular data has been steadily going down for the past several years. When the More Everything Plan was first introduced, you would have to pay $100 for only 10 GB of data. Now you are paying $110 for 24 GB of data. As technology improves that price is sure to drop, but it is doubtful it will EVER(or at least for quite some time) be less expensive than an landline service which is UNLIMITED but only for a single geographical location.

robinson007 wrote:

24 GB gives you enough to surf the net but if you want to watch video or listen to music you will go through that in no time.

I watch Video and listen to music on my device, too, I just download it to my device from my UNLIMITED Verizon Fios service and then watch/listen from my device when I am on the go. If you want to stream video/music then do so, don't blame Verizon that they are charging you according to the terms of their service. You want to use that much, go ahead, just pay for it. You know what the cost is, Verizon is not hiding that from public view.