Re: Data plans should be optional
derbyguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Supposedly yes.  A lot of places are reporting that Verizon is doing away with the unlimited plan for smartphones, and going to tiered data packages similar to what AT&T has instead.  Except we have no idea when the tiered plans will be offered, and what the caps will be.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Touch1123 wrote:

Uh okay, first of all I HAVE the KIN Two M. IT SUCKS. NO FEAUTURES AT ALL. A flip phone has more features jeez. And second, I agree. The data package is ridiculous! And you do NOT need a Data Package. Like the person said above, you don thave to use those features! The KIN is NOT a smart phone at all. So get your facts straight. The data package would be okay if it weren't 30 bucks. How about 5? 10? how about NONE or OPTIONAL or BLOCKED COMPLETELY. That's how my KIN is set up. EVERYTHING IS BLOCKED FOR NO CHARGE

No one said the Kins were smartphones....? What are you reading? The person said there were no phones that had wifi that didn't require a data package. I clearly proved them wrong. Get YOUR facts straight.

0 Likes
mildlyannoyed
Contributor - Level 1
Adding on to that thought about Kins. The Kin Twom is NOT a smartphone, but the Kin Two (when it was offered) was. So was the Kin One. They weren't performing as well as verizon/microsoft/everyone involved hoped, so they got pulled and the software was redesigned. Now they are the Kin OneM and Kin TwoM. that's why you have a feature phone with wifi and a 5 or 8 mp camera depending on the model.
0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello and thank you all for your replies. Touch1123, please feel free to review our current Data Packet options and pricing using the following link. Keep in mind for feature phones you have the option of choosing the data packet that is suitable for you. For Smartphones the Unlimited Data Packet allows you to use your device to its full potential.

0 Likes
sassy_1210
Enthusiast - Level 3

You have obviously never had a smartphone to realize how much data they actually use. Without the data package you would be paying $1.99 per megabyte and would have an outrageous bill. Then you would be calling Verizon and asking them to reduce the charges because you "didn't do it" when really you did. The unlimited data package is a great deal and you do need them on a smartphone. If you don't want to pay for the data package then stick with a feature phone. If you only want a smartphone because they look "cool" then you are getting the phone for the wrong reason. You need a phone that fits you. If you are just calling and texting then stick with a feature phone because that is what they are made for and that is all that you need. When I am paying $1.00 a day for unlimited internet I think it is a great deal and wouldn't change it for anything.

0 Likes
RobinCB

I agree that they shouldn't require you to have a data plan as long as you block access.  It can be unblocked if needed.  For instance, if/when I travel, I like to use Verizon's GPS, so I have my internet access unblocked for downloading/installing then re-blocked.  I rarely do that and hope they don't start to charge for occasional use like that.

Some people think I'm nuts for having a phone with a querty keyboard since I don't text (have it blocked).  I use the calendar on my phone a lot ... I don't like using a 10-key-pad for that.  Many think I'm nuts also for liking my Voyager so very much but its keyboard is so much nicer than those out now.  It seems that querty keyboard phones that you aren't forced to have a data plan on are getting to be fewer and fewer.

Verizon could be a leader by not forcing data plan subscription.

RobinCB

0 Likes
Doxielvr3

My daughter has a Env touch and has the $10 data plan and has so many issues with it connecting to the internet. So she bought a Ipod Touch which is exactly like a iphone without the phone. Same features and she says she is so often in places with wi-fi so why bother paying a data plan. I agree

0 Likes
RTFM
Contributor - Level 1

This is a market that Verizon has thus far decided they do not want to serve. It's their business, and their choice. I don't know how large or small that market is, but I know I'm in it.

I want a communication device that will let me use voice, e-mail on multiple accounts, text, occasional web use for checking sports scores, weather radar, and Google to settle an occasional bar bet.  I need a decent MP3 player as well.  Finally,  to minimize my data charges, I want WiFi to be my main connection, with 3G as a backup when I'm out of range of a WiFi hotspot -- and I'll take the responsibility for knowing when that's the case.  Basically, I want good function, reasonably fast data rates, but not particularly high volume of internet use -- especially when I'm using 3G.

I needed to replace my feature phone recently and was appalled to find that many of the current feature phones had non-standard earphone jacks (2.5mm vs 3.5mm), and didn't even have 3G (1X vs EVDO).  Most of them would have been a downgrade from the feature phone I got two years ago.  I finally found the Kin Twom, which I'm very happy with so far. But I'm pretty sure the only reason that phone was available was that it flopped as a SmartPhone (for good reason) and they had a bunch of them to get rid of. So they repackaged it as a feature phone with a good price. As far as I know, it's the only feature phone in Verizon's lineup that comes close to what I wanted....and when it's gone, then Verizon will once again have nothing for folks like me.

Like I said, their business, their choice.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

RTFM wrote:

Like I said, their business, their choice.

Exactly. You just gotta go with it. I want a cable company that lets me handpick the channels I want without having to pay for channels I don't watch, but that doesn't exist so I just deal with it.

0 Likes
KutNKorners

The idea of having an assigned or personal service agent could have pro's and cons.

Expecting an agent to be familiar with your issues could be a reach, unless your regularly contacting support, and then you run the risk of becoming labeled a pest., or chronic malcontent.

If your thinking of any service, similiar in any way to a concierge, or liason, think pipe dream.    

0 Likes