Re: Data rip off
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@freddurst321 wrote:

I have the same issue on three iphone XRs on my plan. We have resorted to turning off cellular data at night while we sleep. I'm not sure this is a Verizon issue per se but maybe a iphone spying issue. Either way, it is very annoying to see chunks of data as large as 70MB used when the phone is not in use and all the settings such as Wi-fi assist, back ground app refresh etc. are correct.

it's not a Verion issue. And I a say the vast majority of complaints like this( I hate to use the word ALLL but close to it ) are iPhones. I;ve always used Android and have never had this issue of wi-fi turning off.

0 Likes
Hanka
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Verizon android tablet that I'm tossing in the garbage because it was hacked over and over again.  The data problem on my iPhone paled next to the non-security issues that the android was prone to. The fact is that I have to turn off my cell data use on all my devices (4) every dang night.  It's sickening and a Verizon problem or not, they benefit monetarily. As far as I'm concerned they are complicit in the rip off.  They should be trying to solve the problem rather than point fingers at Apple if they even gave one iota about their customers.  When I tried to get help from Verizon, they connected me to an Apple tech who knew zero about the existance of this problem.  He went as far as having me reset my network settings on the iPhone I was talking on and we were immediately disconnected.  DUH!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hanka, we can understand where you're coming from. Data usage can certainly add up quickly and cause unneeded stress. It's not unusual to see an increase like this, even if you're not doing anything differently. The media we're used to uses increasingly more data. High definition video, more notifications/ads/updates, pictures & videos that auto-load all play a part in the increased consumption. This increase is normal, even if it may seem the behavior isn't different. The content used these days is more data-rich than it's ever been. And data transfers so quickly, even high-definition media transfers quickly. It's easy to use a lot of data. We know that turning off your data is not something that you would like to do however this would be the best option for you, especially since Wi-Fi connections, on iPhones specifically, does not remain connected throughout the night. For more information, please feel free to review this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-usage-faqs/  

TakendraW_VZW

0 Likes
Hanka
Enthusiast - Level 3

You understand that Verizon is benefitting by all the data useage and that it's all about making money. Your PR garbage doesn't impress me and amounts to pandering.  My "normal" data use and data taken from me at 3 and 4AM in the morning ended up slowing down my devices for 2 weeks last cycle in safety mode.  I don't think I can go through that from now on every cycle.  So the best option for me is not to turn off my data each and every night but to look for a cheaper carrier with unlimited data who's willing to buy out my contract with the Verizon!!  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hanka, we never want to see our loyal customers dissatisfied or thinking about leaving our Network. I assure you we don't want to blame anyone. Smartphones aren't really smart, they will only do what it has permission to do. If the background data is running, you'd have to stop it from the device to preserve your tiered data. I hope that helps. Please tell me, are there any concerns I can answer today?

VanetrisC_VZW

0 Likes
Hanka
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why do you think for a minute that I'm a loyal customer?  I found it very easy to leave AT&T because they were charging 10 cents for every text message sent or received!  I'm sick of being ripped off by greedy companies like Verizon and I'll find it just as easy to leave you.  That includes my Fios account as well.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Hanka wrote:

Hey boring user name, why not try to learn how to spell and maybe your replies might have a centella of credibility.  You are an apologist for a corrupt corporation and add nothing to this thread.

OMG you proved your point by insulting me. That's how logic works! Yes please keeping thinking data is magically being added to your plan and if you whine long enough on a peer to peer messageboard the "corrupt corporation" will stop ripping you off. Becsuse once again that's so logical.

Got to love people that rather sling insults and believe in conspiracy theories than to take a proactive approach to solving their actual issue. Do you want your issue sovled or for people to reaffirm your misguided worldview? Let us know so more people aren't wasting their time trying to help you.

Oh here's just one of many threads on the apple website

iPhone keeps disconnecting from WiFi

It seems that my 6S running iOS 11 will frequently disconnect from my home WiFi. When I go into the first settings page to see what's up, it will show that no WiFi is connected I then have to go into the next page to see the list of Networks and then have to choose my home network. Eventually, when the phone is sleeping, it will disconnect from WiFi. Anyone have any ideas?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8083665

Does that sound familiar? and because I'm a nice guy and I like to help here is the answer they got

You've probably tried this but if you haven't go into the WiFi settings and find your connected router. Tap on the littie i next to the router's name. First make sure that Auto-Join is turned on. If it is make sure that configure IP and DNS are set to Auto, unless you use a static IP and DNS. After checking all that, I would then tap on Forget This Network at the top of the page. I would then restart the phone and at the same time, reboot the wireless router. Once both are fully rebooted, go back into the Settings>Wi-Fi and tap on your router. You will need to reenter your router password and then join. Again, after you have rejoined that you tap on the little i again and make sure Auto-Join is turned on and configure IP and DNS are set to auto.

0 Likes
LOUISEC999
Enthusiast - Level 3

Turning Cellular data off at night is not a realistic and even a dangerous solution for those who gave up their land line. Emergencies do happen both inside and outside of the home. 

Just curious, are you experiencing the high data usage on all 4 devices?  

I also wonder if you have a syncing problem with a document, Picture etc. Something may not be syncing correctly and each devices keeps trying to sync it over and over. I would try turning off cellular data for iCloud off and see it helps.  Or turn off 3 devices one evening and see what happens.

Good Luck.  I an looking into my own data and battery problems, and know it can be frustrating.

0 Likes
Hanka
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your thoughtful solutions.  I do have a VoiP account with Spectrum so I have access to a phone.  Most of my data use seems to be generated through one device, my iPhone XR.  My data has been constantly running low as of late. 4GB has always been sufficient without having to resort to turning off my cellular data when in a wi-fi environment.  I’m over Verizon and I’m looking for a way out.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@LOUISEC999 wrote:

Turning Cellular data off at night is not a realistic and even a dangerous solution for those who gave up their land line. Emergencies do happen both inside and outside of the home. 

Just curious, are you experiencing the high data usage on all 4 devices?  

I also wonder if you have a syncing problem with a document, Picture etc. Something may not be syncing correctly and each devices keeps trying to sync it over and over. I would try turning off cellular data for iCloud off and see it helps.  Or turn off 3 devices one evening and see what happens.

Good Luck.  I an looking into my own data and battery problems, and know it can be frustrating.

who said anything about turning cellular data off?

0 Likes