Decision time, probably sayonara Verizon
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been a cellular customer since 1990.  On VZ since it was Bell Atlantic Mobile (hence, *226 - "BAM", remember?).  I have 4 lines on a personal level, and from a corporate perspective spend way into the 7 digits on VZ services.  That being said, recent experiences and an inquiry about upgrading one of my lines has led me to consider moving all (personal) service away from Verizon.  I have no contractual obligation on 3 of my 4 lines, and the 4th line is more than halfway through contract.  Here is why....

1)  Over the past year, I've had nothing but horrible experiences with a Mifi device - like so many others.  Same experience as thousands of other people - lockups, the "dormant" symptoms, etc.  Virtually no assistance whatsoever from VZ other than taking my monthly fees.  Sure, the device was swapped out - but the "new" device behaved exactly the same.  Finally, replaced it with a new iPad with LTE (MiFi was also LTE) and the symptoms all went away, while the device was used exactly the same way in exactly the same places.  Pretty clear evidence there, Verizon.

2)  Now, I have 3 other lines, and had planned to upgrade one right now, and the other two in the next couple months.  All are upgrade eligible.  However, Verizon wants me to pay for the (subsidized) cost of the phone, get locked into a 2 year contract, AND pay a $30 per line "upgrade fee"?  Wow - they really "value my business", don't they?  I know this is old news, but the explanation given by Verizon isn't just old and tired, it's frankly ridiculous and borders on unethical in terms of truth. 

So, my options are:

a)  Just get replacement phones elsewhere and only when I truly need them.  By doing this, I don't get the subsidized discount on the phone, but I also don't pay the $30 "upgrade fee" (for the joy of locking myself into 2 years of a contract). 

b)  Switch.  Number portability combined with other carriers agreeing to waive activation fees to get VZ business mean that I could get new phones at a lower cost and keep my mobile number.  Might not be painless, and I need to consider effect on service.

Bottom line is that while I was about to upgrade today, I have decided that at a minimum, I will not do so.  I will not extend my contract with Verizon by 2 years and pay an extra $30 per line.  It is simply not necessary.  I will look more carefully at the other carriers, and just might switch very soon.  I really have very little to lose.  I can retain my VZ phones that I have today, and under the worst case scenario, simply switch back.  Yes, it may cost me a little more if things don't work out, but it will cost me less if they do - and more importantly, if more people vote with their wallets then all the carriers will get the message.  Today VZ just totally lost the opportunity to lock in at least one of my lines into another 2 yrs, and they increased the probability that they'll lose me as a customer.  Until today, I was not considering it.  After today, I'm leaning toward it.  And not matter what, I am not locked in, and will not be.

The issue is that for some of us, it's not just $30 - since I have 4 lines it's really $120 every 2 yrs, or $60/yr.  That is effectively a $5 per month service increase, to provide me not a single, solitary element of additional value.  It is absolutely nothing but fee revenue delivered to VZ at zero cost to them, as they are actually not providing any incremental value or service for that fee.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Decision time, probably sayonara Verizon
rcschnoor
Legend

wherder wrote:

I have 4 lines on a personal level, and from a corporate perspective spend way into the 7 digits on VZ services.  That being said, recent experiences and an inquiry about upgrading one of my lines has led me to consider moving all (personal) service away from Verizon.  I have no contractual obligation on 3 of my 4 lines, and the 4th line is more than halfway through contract.  Here is why....

If you have control of enough lines to be paying "well into the 7 digits on VZ services", you most likely have a personal contact(account manager) at Verizon which you can reach out to "do something" in order to retain your business. I would suggest contacting that person and getting their assistance.

0 Likes
Re: Decision time, probably sayonara Verizon
jaymeson
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you are considering switching providers, when all other major carriers charge an upgrade fee as well? Sprint is $36.00. It's a legitimate charge and no one is going to, or can remove it. You can complain just like everyone else on here but all of the MAJOR carriers have that charge. And switching carriers you will have an activation fee, which I am sure you will dispute as well, but now you went from being a "loyal" customer to a new customer.

0 Likes