Device Payment Plan
AWSilverman

Yes, the idea would be to sell the phone that's on a Device Payment plan but to replace it on that line with a different phone.  The current phone would be sold to someone else for use on a different Verizon plan.

1.  Will the phone work on someone else's account if I continue to pay every month?

2.  Will my monthly bill go up if I activate a different phone in its place?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Device Payment Plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AWSilverman,

Keeping your line access discount is definitely important so I completely understand your concern. I see that I previously reply to you regarding this same question in another thread. But I want to correct my previous answer and clarify.

If you are on the More Everything plan and you have an active Device Payment Plan (formerly Edge) you will continue to receive the monthly line access discount as long as the Device Plan Payment is active. You will continue to receive the discount until the Device Payment Plan is paid off. You do not need to have the device from the Device Payment Plan active on the line to receive the discount. As long as you have a Smartphone activated on the line you will continue to receive the discount. I apologize for the confusion

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you did that it'll work. Keep in mind you will be in the hook for the Payments as well as the data plan if you are on an older plan even if you put a basic phone on that line. Also I believe you won't get the line discount either by selling it to someone else. It's not worth it to do it as it'll cost more in the long run than if you kept it yourself.

0 Likes
AWSilverman

Why won't I get the line discount if I'm still paying the installments on the phone?  Are you sure?  My plan is to replace it with another smart phone that will use the same data.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There's was a few other threads and some customers have claimed because it is not on the line they couldn't add the discount. So just giving you the safew than sorry reply based on what was said the past few weeks. I personally buy my devices outright so I don't honestly know.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

WHile Tidbits information is correct, there are cases where customers were told they couldn't get the discount. 

(there was a case a few months back where the husband was wanting to switch phones with his wife, but the Edge plans would be on the wrong lines.  VWCSR told him incorrectly, both lines would lose the discount.  Not true.)

But that is wrong, and as long as you have no 2 year contract on a line, you can get the discount applied.

THe only snag is if your replacement phone is not a white listed device. 

But you are still entitled to the discount, fight for it!

0 Likes
AWSilverman

So my monthly plan cost shouldn't change if I put a non edge phone on it in place of an edge phone?

0 Likes
AWSilverman

Your answer on this?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AWSilverman,

Keeping your line access discount is definitely important so I completely understand your concern. I see that I previously reply to you regarding this same question in another thread. But I want to correct my previous answer and clarify.

If you are on the More Everything plan and you have an active Device Payment Plan (formerly Edge) you will continue to receive the monthly line access discount as long as the Device Plan Payment is active. You will continue to receive the discount until the Device Payment Plan is paid off. You do not need to have the device from the Device Payment Plan active on the line to receive the discount. As long as you have a Smartphone activated on the line you will continue to receive the discount. I apologize for the confusion

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DSkiGone

Sorry, but is the bottom line this? You can sell your device but you will still be responsible for the payments? If this is correct, will the other person still be effected by payments?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

The answer from support is clear.

You still have to pay off the phone, you can use another phone on the line.  You still keep the line discount.

The financed phone can be used on another account and that line would have a reduced line fee under BYOD discount.

You can sell the phone and use the money to pay off the Edge/Device Payment plan or buy a different device.  The buyer has no responsibility for the payments.   Payments are connected to the line of service.

Bottom line:  it's your phone, you can do as you like as long as the line with the financing is active.  If you cancel the line with the loan, your balance is immediately due. 

0 Likes