Re: Device Payment Plan
Damian6669
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I mean you are getting a better deal really. My Verizon phone on my edge plan started at 50% then went to 75%. AT&T you pay the same payment a month for the phone but get that upgrade every year just making 12 payments for the same price I'm paying now at Verizon. I just like the fact of not having to pay off the phone. Trading it back in is perfectly fine with me. It's no different than selling it to get a new one than trading it back in to get a new one

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

My issue with the early trade-in method is that "What if the phone is not at the quality standard required for full-balance-credit on trade-in?"  Then, a person has to pay a damages charge.  Reality may be that that tiny scratch that subtracted $100 from the value would mean nothing in the real world, meaning that you owed $200 on it, but the carrier subtracted $100, so now you pay $100 extra on a phone that could have netted $300 on a 3rd party selling site.  $200 lost.

Weth
Legend

To me math wins feelings every time.  Phone on ATT is more per month since you are paying 1/20 of phone each month instead of 1/24. 

Damian6669
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well to be fair if the device was damaged then you would be required to pay it off anyway before upgrading instead of trading. A few of my friends are on att and their bill is lower than my Verizon bill. The payment on the phone is pretty much the same. Verizon should have left the plan the way it was. The plan now is more catered to wealthy people when you basically are tied to a 2 year agreement because u can only pay more if you are paying it off. And when a new iPhone comes out the value to sell still won't be enough to pay it off. That's why trade in program like Apple has now is the best while att next 12 month plan is 2nd. Even US Cellular has a upgrade program every 12 months. Come on Verizon I though you cared about customers

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I just love when there are statements posted with nothing to back up the bold claims. This is all math, and which is better is rather simple to figure out. You can't do it by guessing or gut feeling.

Verizon

1 year ago iPhone 6 with 64 GB - $750
Monthly payments = $31.25
Total paid in 12 months $375 - Remaining $375
Current sell price on swappa.com  $570 - adjust down $150 since new iPhone is release - $420
Difference - cash in pocket after paying off remaining $375 to Verizon - $45
Net paid for 12 months $375-$45 = $330 or $27.50/month
12 month phone cost $330

Apple's New Plan
12 month phone cost $36.50 x 12 = $438

AT&T 12 month plan
$750/20 payments = $37.50
Payments after 12 months $450

So Verizon - phone cost $330, Apple's plan $438, and AT&T most expensive at $450

As you can see, you even have lots of room for getting less on the iPhone if it is not in perfect condition.

I will give Apple a bit of a bonus for including Apple Care plus extended warranty in the price, which the others don't in the prices shown. Also the claim AT&T monthly phone payment is the same. It is not, as the phone cost is divided into 20 payments instead of 24. Which plan is for wealthy people, and which plan is for smart people? Well you are right in 1 way, wealthy smart people will do the Verizon plan.

Capture.PNG

swappa.com screen grab 9/17/2015 for Verizon iPhone 6 64GB

Damian6669
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem with all of that is no one is paying 450 for a iPhone 6 right now. Swappa can put those prices out there but someone has to be willing to buy it for that price. And that's just not the case. I have a 6 plus 64gb and the most anyone is giving in great condition is around 350-375. Gazelle only giving in the 3 mark along with others. I check craigslist and all all the time. With swappa you need to put the slider all the way down to lowest price and guaranteed sale and that's what it will sale for. I do all the math and I'm not gullible enough to know that Verizon did this to make it harder for lower income to upgrade. With the payments like they are and must pay it off fully most people will have to have the phone for around 20 months or so before actually being able to pay the phone off. It should have stayed 50% then upgrade. Was a great deal until they messed it up. Not enough people buying refurbished on Verizon I guess

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It depends how long the warranty is. I have Apple care for my 6 for a total of 18 months I got 5 bills for it yesterday through CL. A lot of people do look at that. You'd be surprised.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Another thing to consider is that the reason your device isn't fetching a higher price tag isn't because no one want Verizon phones...you have to remember that Apple is just days away from releasing it's newest iPhone and others, like you and I, are flooding the market with 6/6+ and older devices.  We all want $$$ for our device...but unfortunately when the world has a billion (exaggeration) of a particular product that can be had just about anywhere...who wants to pay top dollar for it?  It's simple supply and demand...and right now the supply is higher than the demand for our device. 

If you want to see slightly higher $$$ for your device...keep and older device around and unload your current device a month or 2 before Apple releases its next update.  Once Tim Cook steps on that stage and tells the world about their new device and when it'll be released...it's game over as everyone starts execute plans to dump their current device.

Weth
Legend

Look at the math.  Even if you replace the $450 with $350, Verizon is still the best deal. Are you gullible enough that Appe and ATT are not making bill out of their deals?   I fix also don't understand your comment on harder for low income.  First, if someone is low income getting a new $800 phone every year cannot be a budget priority.  Second, when you do buy a new phone now, it is no money up front, rather than before with contracts, so even that is easier. Making this class warfare is silly. 

rcschnoor
Legend

I would like a new Tesla every year. I don't know why they make that so hard for low income people.

0 Likes