Re: Extremely SLOW data speeds!!
RLR9X20
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Debbie. First let me make it clear I am not vzw support. I am IT support for another organization and happen to have the same problem you do. The iphone usually has a built in field test mode that is accessed by opening the phone app, entering a special code and pressing call. You can google "field test mode on iphone" or here is one of the links that mentions the iphone7 How To See Your iPhone's True Cell Signal Strength - Business Insider

I do not use iphones so have no personal experience. When reading signal strength in -dbm the lower the number the better. -60 to -80 is considered normal range. A number lower than 60 is considered great and one higher than 80 is considered starting to get weak with above 100 not good. In my case signal was acceptable but not great for years and then all of a sudden data speed dropped off with no change in signal. Called support and they bumped it up to tier2 support, supposedly sent someone out to the tower and then closed the ticket saying the area just had weak signal. In my case the signal is the same as it always has been. My issue has not been resolved as yet and I don't have high expectations. I am exploring other options for service and hopefully can find something that will work for me. If a weak signal is detected inside make sure to go outside to highest elevation possible and hold the phone in the direction of the local tower to get a second reading just to have as additional info.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

debbiecastillo,

We don't want to see you go. At the same time, we can relate to how important your service is to you. What type of speeds are you getting? Please run a speed test from an app like speedtest. net and share the results. Addtionally, what zip codes are you experiencing concerns in?

KatiM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LAND-TIMBER
Enthusiast - Level 1

Many Verizon customers in South Central Virginia are dealing with these PITIFUL SLOW SPEEDS as well. I am sick of the run-around as well. If something is not done to remedy this problem VERY SOON, Verizon will lose me, and many others in my area, as customers.

LAND-TIMBER
Enthusiast - Level 1

FYI, Speed test averages over the last month are:

Ping > 382 +/- 249 ms

Down > 0.55 +/- 0.41 Mbps

Up > 0.36 +/- 0.49 Mbps

Absolutely pitiful

debbiecastillo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good Morning,I was able to check the speed on my iphone this morning and it is -107. From what I am understanding this is very low. How can you improve this reading?

Debbie     

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've seen worse and connected to the cellular data connection on worse. The reading can be improved with better hardware in the devices and the towers and with better infrastructure for the back haul lines.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MARIESDAD

This is the answer that Verizon sends you when they have a problem with their network. This problem is admittedly their problem and is a result of no network upgrades before offering unlimited data only after being forced to do so in response to other carriers taking away thousands of customers:

Signal Concern Resolution                 

Our investigation has determined there is less than optimal signal strength in your reported area, which can cause weakened and reduced network connectivity, especially indoors.

Though Verizon has the nation's best network, there are small pockets that experience these kinds of negative connections.

Other impacts to your service include:

• Network usage and capacity
  • Seasonal issues, such as large groups of people for events or holidays, or even foliage during spring and summer
  • Population increases
  • New building construction that interrupts tower line of sight
We're always reviewing our service areas, though it can be a complicated, time-consuming process. We can't share our build out plans, nor can we provide specific information about when service may improve in this area.

Some additional options that could help your experience:
  1. HD Voice. Make sure it's enabled if it's available on your device. Our FAQs provide easy step-by-step instructions on how to enable HD Voice:
  2. Wi-Fi Calling could also help. We have a variety of devices that are Wi-Fi Calling compatible. Learn how to activate Wi-Fi Calling on your operating system:
  3. If your device isn't HD Voice or Wi-Fi Calling compatible, a Network Extender could enhance your voice coverage for multiple devices.
  4. If you're still experiencing a device-related problem, our online Troubleshooting Tool has a comprehensive list of device solutions.

In other words, just shut up and pay your bill every month. After all, we are VERIZON and you are a mere peasant. Read this carefully:

" Though Verizon has the nation's best network, there are small pockets that experience these kinds of negative connections".

I reckon this perception depends upon which end of the financial spectrum you are on?

0 Likes
RLR9X20
Enthusiast - Level 3

Debbie I have seen worse than -107 connect but error correction makes the speeds drop very low. I would not worry about doing anything until you see that either increasing your elevation or getting closer to the tower improves the signal (<100) and the connection speed improves. I have seen just going to a second story window facing the tower direction make a big difference in signal and connection speed. Then you would know a fringe weak signal is causing the problem whether it be the tower or environmental issue. You can put a speed test app like Ookla speed test on your phone and check connection speed at various locations along with using the built in field strength signal meter app. If you see a better signal greatly improves connection speed you can then go from there.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are dedicated to keeping you at top speed and we will work to help you stay! When did this start? What type of device are you using? May I have your zip code to pinpoint the area?

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
debbiecastillo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good Morning,My zip code is 31014 and the best I can recall it started after I changed to the unlimited plan.

Debbie