Full bars / poor signal strength
grpeterson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello!

I'm having an issue where I'm seeing full bars but my phone is showing poor signal strength and no data throughput.  I'm on a Note 10+, in LTE/CDMA network mode, showing a signal strength of -88dBm / 99asu. 

I'm located in zip code 91505, just south of the Bob Hope airport in Burbank, CA.  I had experienced this once before, I believe around fall of last year, before the issue eventually resolved itself after a few weeks.  I was able to occasionally circumvent it at the time by manually  selecting specific network bands, but my mileage varied at the time. 

I occasionally will have a similar issue on the UCLA campus, but I suspect that may just be congestion as there is still some movement of data.

Any help is appreciated, thanks! 👍

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Full bars / poor signal strength
grpeterson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, please feel free to correct me if my interpretation of signal strength is inaccurate.  I'm seeing some info on other forums that 99 asu is the value displayed when it is unable to be determined by the phone.

0 Likes
grpeterson
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue appears to be resolved.  Resetting network settings did not resolve, but the timing seemed to coincide with rebooting in safe mode, although I can't tell for sure if it was a change on my end that resolved the issue.  I'm still seeing the same signal strength values from my initial post.

0 Likes
grpeterson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now it is occurring again with no intervention on my part...  How frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Grpeterson, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing some struggles with your service and appreciate the great details. Let's gather a few additional pieces of information to ensure that we are on the right track. Do you experience any issue with your calls or text messages at this location? How far from this area do you need to be before you see a change? When you type Speed test in the browser and run the test, what actual data speeds are you receiving? Do you recall any changes to the phone? 

-LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

grpeterson, thanks for the updates regarding your connection issues. Please send us a private message to further assist and troubleshoot your line. Thank you.

- Alan

0 Likes
grpeterson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Loren,

Calling and SMS are not affected when I'm experiencing this problem with mobile data.  It's difficult to determine exactly where I'm no longer having the issue, but I can't say I've experienced it on most of the mile drive home.  However, merely stepping outside my office does not resolve the issue.  I'm not able to run speed test when experiencing the issue, I have zero mobile data activity (at least down).  I can't think of any software updates or other recent config changes to my phone that could have caused this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You hit the nail on the head earlier about how the number of users at UCLA will affect available signal, grpeterson. The same holds true around an airport, as the cell phones use radio signals. Did I read correctly, though? When you put the device in safe mode, things were much better?

-George

0 Likes