Home Fusion-LTE Internet Installed is a hotspot on Unlimited!!
MRAKRAK6530
Enthusiast - Level 3

I live in a somewhat rural area and like many others use this as home internet. I have had this for about 5 years and with the exception of being data limited, it works VERY well. I was very excited to find that I could move this onto the Unlimited plan and was told that after 22G the data would be "prioritized"...which I thought we could live with. Unfortunately this in not the case at all. The real issue is that Verizon treats LTE Internet Installed Cantennae as a hotspot...even though it is bolted to the side of my home. This means that after 10Gig on the Unlimited plan we are switched over to 3G. The problem with this is that the cantennae is not backward compatible, and will not work with 3G, therefore after 10G our home internet will not work! (Do you know how quickly home internet will reach 10G with a family of 4 !!!) I've called Verizon dozens of times to find out why they would treat my home internet as a hotspot and render it inoperable after 10G. No one had an answer, and they led me to believe that a change in this "hotspot" designation would not be coming anytime soon. I've been loyal and with Verizon Wireless since 1998 and can't believe that I am being treated this way. It just makes NO SENSE to treat this device as a hotspot and to make it not work after 10G....very disappointing.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
mborozny
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have gotten maybe 10 days of 4G speeds out of 30 on this plan as well. The kicker is that even when our new month started on the 17th, we were getting speeds of 1 Mbps or less. Verizon refuses to have anyone come out and recheck your installation.

My cantenna is now turned off. We are using the Pocket WiFi from 4GCommunity.org's premium plan (similar to Unlimitedville's Yellow Plan) and pulling download speeds of up to 14 Mbps. It took some research and attaching the right routers, but we now have the fastest internet we have ever had.  CHRISNICHOLL7, I would give either of these companies a try.

View solution in original post

141 Replies
JERBEE33
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks DAVLOV44 for your write up, I couldn't have explained my frustration any better. I too am now looking into other options. It is insane they believe they can bully loyal customers into receiving [Removed] poor performance, without speedy corrections; bad business plan all the way around. When I changed from 30GB to the unlimited plan, I asked multiple times if this is to good to be true, and they ensured me the Cantenna is not considered a "hotspot" and would prioritize only after the 22GB threshold; well, it looks like I should have listened to my gut instincts. Thanks everyone for your input, I am definitely going to be looking into Unlimitedville, hopefully it is also not "to good to be true".

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure we offer the best plan for your needs and your budget is key, JERBEE33. Losing you as a valued customer is not an option for us. I've sent a private message to you so we can work together on the best solution for your needs.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI

The VZW rep was actually replying to JRRinNC not DAVLOV44.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DAVLOV44
Enthusiast - Level 2

Of course, it doesn’t matter, and your assertion doesn’t add to the reasons people are reading this thread; however:

Not being familiar with this forum, I received an email addressed only to me with the greeting “JRRinNC.” It then said something about a private message. I thought that THIS was the private message since it was addressed only to me. After writing my reply (in my email client, not in my browser within the forum) and sending it, I went onto the forum to see what other messages there might be and discovered both what I thought was the private message that was misaddressed but also my reply. The bulb came on, and I realized that all messages posted to the thread are also sent via email and addressed only to one person at a time.

Lesson learned long before your belated correction.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those are email NOTIFICATIONS.  Each post notification message starts with "created by xxusername in xxtopic - View the full discussion" and ends with "Reply to this message by replying to this email - or - go to the message on Verizon Community"

If the rep had sent you a direct message, the email subject line would have been "xxusername has sent you a direct message".  At the email notification would have "Continue the conversation by replying to this email - or - going to the direct message on Verizon Community".

It is quite clear to me where each message is housed.  This is a public forum.  Users can reply to the original post that created a thread and they can reply to a specific post in the same thread.  One can even quote the previous message to specifically address the statements made in that post.  Others address their reply like if they are starting an individual letter or email.  When viewing the thread on the community each post also states which post they are replying to.  You can actually click on that information to view that specific post.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DAVLOV44
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154,

You did understand that I figured it out and didn't need a tutorial, didn't

you? Please don't reply anymore. That was a rhetorical question.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I didn't read it that way and the information can inform the others reading the thread.  I can choose to reply to any open thread as I choose.

0 Likes
JRRinNC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann154, why should anyone on this thread care if they were replying directly to me?  They SHOULD in fact be addressing EVERYONE on this thread PLUS EVERYONE who was lied to in order to have them switch their HomeFusion plan to this ridiculous 10GB cap!!!  Indeed, a VZW rep did send me a private message asking me to send them my information so they could look into my usage and recommend a plan.  What?  So maybe I might be able to go back to some form of limited data usage at the exorbitant rates?  No thanks.  This whole situation has led me and others to better options, so I'm done with VZW and their lies. 

Want to know my "private message" response back to that rep?  Well here it is...

"I  already spoke with your reps and chatted on the net.   What you can do at this point is stand up to what you told me AND the others on this forum AND all those who are simply frustrated but don't know about this forum, but that Verizon flat out LIED to when we went to the unlimited plan.  I had the 60GB plan before and I used that limit most months.  I thought the unlimited plan would be great even if I was throttled at 22GB.  At NO point -- Please read that again!-- At ABSOLUTELY NO POINT was I told it would be be limited to 1x speeds (No this is not even 3G speeds) at 10GB.  As a result, I have found other truly unlimited services for less than what I paid before.  Why would I ever want to go back to the limits, or stay with Verizon for ANY of my phones if lies like this are what we can expect going forward?"

Ann154, the posts you have made on this thread are not in the least bit helpful.  It is obvious you are a cheerleader for Verizon who has not been affected by this change in the least.  So why are you even on this thread?  You obviously have nothing to contribute except reiterating the lies we already see from VZW! 

MRAKRAK6530
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very true....the VZW rep's should be replying here with answer directed at everyone, since everyone's issue is the same. Instead, they handpick a few and send them private messages...all the while never addressing that we were lied to, or giving a real solution to the paying customers. I think that this really confirms for all of us involved here that VZW could care less. I also feel that is why you see many here leaving Verizon.

I have had several responses from Ann154....Most of them have been a bit frustrating....in the sense that she could not seem to understand how .005 mpbs download speeds are unacceptable. I would like to think that she is trying to be helpful. But it seems clear to me that she has not experienced the Home Fusion frustration of being "baited & switched" as well as being lied to about speeds. She certainly has the right to comment here, but obviously does not have the perspective, and feeling of being deceived, that the majority of us here have.

0 Likes
MRAKRAK6530
Enthusiast - Level 3

DAVLOV44....Your post pretty much sums up the experience of every Home Fusion user that was "baited & switched" with Verizon's "unlimited" plan.

It's amazing to me that they would even post in this thread, since all they are really doing is saying they'd like to help, but ultimately won't. The only solution that they have is to recommend that we go back to our 30 or 40G plans, which substantially raises our monthly bills. That kind of "solution" is what has upset customers here to the point where we are leaving or have left. And yes, I would pay more per month for internet service that actually works....but just not to Verizon, because as you've pointed out, they cannot be trusted any longer.

I have already cancelled the complete Home Fusion setup, and Verizon doesn't care. Next up I'll be switching 3 of 4 lines that are out of contract over to different carrier, the 4th line will get switched next year. Our Verizon landline has been cancelled as well.

All of this, and after being a customer for over 20 years, Verizon has shown no indication to me that they care. I am no longer a loyal customer, and they don't care...that's why our family is moving on. It is too late for Verizon to make it right for me. And for the others here who don't appreciate being treated like this, I suggest that you do the same.

DonJohns49
Enthusiast - Level 2

Amber,

You need a dose of reality and stop putting a spin on the facts if you want my loyally. I’ve had the Verizon Unlimited – until it’s not – Plan since February and each month used about 50-60 GB of data. The first notice of going over 10 GB was received on 4/20 and since then, useless. The first 2 month cycles worked just fine even when the prioritization kicked in at 22 GB. The 10 GB throttling is what BROKE it when rolled out last month. Stop telling people it was part of the plan from the beginning. If it was, I would have changed back to my limited 30 GB plan when throttling would have activated about 10 days later. Verizon Home Fusion is not a hotspot toy like Jetpack or MiFi that people use while on vacation and can tolerate a 10 GB limit. Verizon Home Fusion is a whole home 24/7, 30 days a month service device. Prioritize at 22 GB if you must but remove the 10 GB throttling that makes Home Fusion useless. Least I remind you about the architecture of the Home Fusion modem that does not work at 3G speeds and is even more severely throttled than a Smartphone or Jetpack. AGAIN, your 10 GB throttling makes Verizon Home Fusion USELESS. Don

DAVLOV44
Enthusiast - Level 2

My experiences are identical to everyone else here (went from 40GB plan to "unlimited" without knowing about 10GB throttling).  I asked about going back to my old plan.  "Management" was consulted and said that nothing could be done until the end of the billing month (3 weeks away at the time).  I said I would find something else before then.  I tried Unlimitedville's Yellow plan (cheapest) but it didn't work for me.  Within their 14-day free trial, I returned that system and ordered/received the Pink plan (the next, least expensive) with the Mofi SIM4.  It worked great!  I get 40-50mbps download and 15-22 upload.  Unlimitedville refunded the yellow plan to my credit card the day before the device actually reached them.  Highly recommended.  Just hope they stay in business.

Now, here's my question, posted to this thread because several Home Fusion users here have left Verizon:  what do they want you to do with the cantenna?  Did you take it down and hand it to them, or do they just abandon it?

I might also mention, I've replaced both cell phones with T-Mobile phones.  Tried porting my S-6 Edge phones to them but those phones do not get Band 12, which is the most-expanded new band for TMO in rural areas.  Coverage was awful without that.  Bought a TMO Galaxy S-8 and got one free.  They gave me $90 each for the S-6 Edges.  Two lines for $100 flat and pay off one S-8 at $30 a month.

For my two home lines with Home Phone Connect through Verizon, I've replaced them with Ooma Telo with two Linx wireless connections.  As soon as those numbers port over, I will be Verizon-free for the first time since my first Bell Atlantic cell phones in 1990.  I did tell Verizon that they don't know me, but I do hold a grudge and I never bluff.  I will never buy another product or service from Verizon for the rest of my life.

Just want to know what to do with all this Verizon junk I have left over.

MRAKRAK6530
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow...great that you are getting those speeds!!! When I cancelled and went to yellow plan with Unlimitedville, Verizon Rep's told me that since I had the cantennae and modem for almost five years, that they do not want it back. So I will trash it soon. I plan on using the cantennae mounting system to mount an external antenna that will work with the Mofi router from Unlimitedville....their customer service is very good, and they feel confident that the external antenna that they suggested will improve my speeds to up over 10mbps. I'm in a very marginal service area, so those speeds would be great for me!!

0 Likes
DAVLOV44
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also live in the boonies but the gov't has paid to lay fiber to rural areas which is intended for enterprising companies to connect to for delivering broadband to the taxpayers.  I recommend researching the coverage maps of WiFi providers (little companies, mainly) in your area, along with TMO, Sprint, and AT&T.  Those maps are marginally accurate, of course.  So, I installed apps on my phone from Google Play called Coverage Map and Sensorly.  These are apps that enable reporting from users automatically, so they track along a lot of major roads where more people travel.  You can assess what kind of call quality as well as what LTE data speeds they've gotten on each of the provider networks.

Then, armed with the idea that coverage maps show I'm "covered," my plan was to go through each of Unlimitedville's offerings, returning each within their free period (they also refund postage from them to you but not on your return).  I strongly recommend that you try that if any coverage map shows there is a possibility of getting coverage.  Within that 14-day window, it costs you only return postage to try each service.  You may be surprised.  Sprint gave me only a 10% signal on the little Pocket Wifi device.  The Mofi SIM4 gives four bars, and it's nestled down beside a desk on top of a PC tower.  I have no doubt I could get five bars elsewhere.  I recommend you try another service provider to get more than 10mbps.

An alternative would be to have a friend with a really good phone on each service come to your house and run a speed check (making sure they're not connected to your wifi).

0 Likes
DAVLOV44
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to mention, I also installed SignalCheck Pro and LTE Discovery apps to help me assess signal strength and bands used.  Unfortunately, I did not find anything that would tell me what bands OTHER services were using in my area.  Only the ones my phone was connected to.

0 Likes
AMYBEC86
Enthusiast - Level 2

So glad for the tip on Unlimitedville! They look like an actual legit option. I wanted the HomeFusion LTE internet because my new home is rural with only Centurylink 3mbps speed service or satelite internet And since we're heavy use family that streams those just won't work for us. Verizon's Unlimited HomeFusion was supposed to be our solution, and it worked fabulously, until the throttle to 3G issue. So I'm assuming since I can get great coverage w/them that Unlimitedville should work the way I had hoped Verizon would.

MRAKRAK6530
Enthusiast - Level 3

AMYBEC86...It seems Unlimitedville has been around for a few years now...their Twitter page is loaded with positive comments. There are also other positive reviews around online. They have plans that work with 4 cellular carriers, and as it turned out the Verizon Plan (their most expensive) surprisingly didn't work well for me. I went with their Yellow plan (their least expensive) and it works better than my Home Fusion ever did! They also worked with me all of the way to get me connected, AND extended my 14 day return/trial period to almost a month to make sure that everything worked well. Good luck and keep us posted!

0 Likes
JEFRAN13
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would like a personal message on how you can keep me also

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your happiness is equally important to us as well. May I ask what concern you have so we can address it?

AnthonyM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MRAKRAK6530
Enthusiast - Level 3

They sent me a personal message at one point also. Of course this message was so impersonal that they only leave you the standard support phone number...you know, the one where you are on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes. In over 20 years of being a customer I had always had good experiences with Verizon customer support...until this false unlimited bait & switch scheme that they pulled with the Home Fusion LTE Installed. They know that they are wrong, but they also know that they personally can't do anything to help even if they wanted to. Their "personal" solution for me after all of these years was to go back to the 40G plan and add over $150/month back on to my bill....no thank you. That is why I cancelled the Home Fusion LTE Installed and went with Unlimitedville. Good Luck!

0 Likes
DonJohns49
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a continuous Verizon 3-line smartphone customer for 20 years now and added LTE Home Fusion for the last 4+ years after retirement and moving to a rural community. I have no other alternatives to home internet except satellite. Actually satellite is looking better now after switching to Verizon Unlimited - until it's not - Plan. I switched my then max 30GB limited plan, which worked fine for 4 years except for the arcane 1GB per day limit, to the Unlimited - until it's not - Plan on the very first day it was offered. I even found the small print that exposed the prioritization gimmick at 22GB but NOWHERE did it say anything about a 10GB speed throttling limit. For the first 2 months, even being prioritized for the last 6-12 days of the cycle, worked for me and speeds would slow from 12-20 Mb/s to 3-5 Mb/s but everything worked and life was good. About 10 days into the 3rd cycle of my new Unlimited - until it's not - Plan, I get an email notice that I've reached my 10 GB limit and I will be limited....WHAT? I have a Verizon Unlimited Plan. Now, nothing from the browser is working, email is working slowly. My speed is .090 Mb/s. It took me the next 30 minutes to get to a second tier support person who discloses that this is a new 10 Mb/s throttle policy. He also discovers that my Home Fusion has the wrong severe throttle setting. After 24-hours I get a notice to reboot cantenna and retest speed. Now I get .4-.5 Mb/s (yes, 450-500 Kb/s) and is what I have been living with for the last 20 days. Critical bill paying DOES NOT work due to timeouts and most sites just continue to spin waiting for data. This is not a home internet service anymore and I have lost patience waiting for Verizon to do the right thing. 4+ years ago I bought Verizon LTE Home Fusion, touted to be the best and fastest wireless home internet service. What Verizon Unlimited - until it's not - Plan has done is to reduce it to a useless piece of junk! I guess I need to be spending the next 10 days while I'm not throttled looking for my new Satellite provider.