Is V's wireless ISP for home reliable?

There's nothing except satellite on my street. It is ridiculously slow, but never goes down. However, I will jump to verizon's isp in an instant *if* it can be as reliable. I'd even settle for it dropping now and then, if, most of the time, it's up.

One issue I have will require a network extender. I can only get 1 or 2 bars in the driveway, or receive a text if the phone is sitting on the ledge of the front window.

I see an older extender on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005629X8M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p107_d2_g107_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_...

...and then there's the new one, at more than double the cost: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFeatures

Oh...and, if this will work, which hotspot is the best?

Can anyone give me their actual experience with this and recommendation?  thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is V's wireless ISP for home reliable?
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

The service will be exactly as reliable as the 3G data connection through your phone.  Use your phone to test reception in the area you want to place the HotSpot and see if that will be acceptable.

In terms of replacing your sattelite internet, that depends on your usage.  Do you currently have a cap on your data?  Does that cap line up with a Verizon plan that you're willing to pay for?  A lot of folks switch from traditional internet to a Verizon plan only to get burned because they had no idea how much data they used and started racking up overages in just 2-3 weeks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

the network extener requires a high speed internet connection to work (not a hotspot)

0 Likes

Oh no....does this mean there isn't a way to get wireless internet service if my signal needs boosting? I can't believe verizon reps didn't tell me that when I was asking about all this. They told me that I don't have availability for wired broadband, and that I'd need to get either the $50 or $80 per month internet wireless plan.  Now I'm confused.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

If you don't have a good signal on your phone, you won't have a good signal on your MiFi or data card providing your cellular internet connection.  All of Verizon's data devices (be they a phone, netbook, mobile hotspot, etc.) run off the 3G network.

The Network Extender is a device that creates a mini-cell tower in your home, but uses an existing high-speed internet connection (most sattelite connections will not have enough upload bandwidth) to connect with Verizon's network.

There are cell signal boosters and external antennas on the market from various third party vendors, I'd reccommend doing some searching.

Thanks.....I *have* seen a zBoost unit that claims to be good.

My ultimate question would be, if I get good signal, is the service reliable thru one of VZ's hotspot devices (and which one)? Reliable enough to terminate my satellite, and not regret the move.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

The service will be exactly as reliable as the 3G data connection through your phone.  Use your phone to test reception in the area you want to place the HotSpot and see if that will be acceptable.

In terms of replacing your sattelite internet, that depends on your usage.  Do you currently have a cap on your data?  Does that cap line up with a Verizon plan that you're willing to pay for?  A lot of folks switch from traditional internet to a Verizon plan only to get burned because they had no idea how much data they used and started racking up overages in just 2-3 weeks.

0 Likes