Is there a data plan better than $80/10gig?
kb85
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently relocated to rural AR to take care of my mother following surgery. She is using Verizon wireless as her ISP and has the $80/10gig plan. Based on our now combined internet usage that cap is far, far too low. Is there a higher tier or unlimited plan available? If not I will look into other providers when her contract ends next month. The option to throttle back speed rather than pay for overages would also be acceptable but the plan cost and low data cap with charges for going over is simply not going to work for the eight month recovery period when I will be here.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
tigerthetony
Enthusiast - Level 3

She can always increase her data package, but it would be an additional 10 dollars per 2 GB's to increase it. At that point, if possible, it may be a better Idea to look for an unlimited ISP instead of a wireless one with a data cap.  I'd personally just weigh the costs with whats available, some areas are rural, and don't have access to very many ISPs.

kb85
Enthusiast - Level 2

Didn't see that as an option in her account when we looked. I assume we would have to get a rep on the line for that? While I do understand that wireless is a different type of service it feels quite ridiculous to go from paying $70 a month for 15MB down with a soft cap at 200gig throttling me 7.5 down (which I never hit) to paying $80 a month to have a data cap so low I can't even download a game purchased on Steam without going over. Much less watch shows or movies on Netflix. It's simply not adequate for even casual usage. It's excellent as far as speed and the quality of the connection but neither of that does me any good when I'm too worried about data to utilize the service.

0 Likes
Not applicable

kb85 wrote:

Didn't see that as an option in her account when we looked. I assume we would have to get a rep on the line for that? While I do understand that wireless is a different type of service it feels quite ridiculous to go from paying $70 a month for 15MB down with a soft cap at 200gig throttling me 7.5 down (which I never hit) to paying $80 a month to have a data cap so low I can't even download a game purchased on Steam without going over. Much less watch shows or movies on Netflix. It's simply not adequate for even casual usage. It's excellent as far as speed and the quality of the connection but neither of that does me any good when I'm too worried about data to utilize the service.

Mobile data is not a replacement for cable internet or DSL so things like Steam or watching Netflix are out of the question. Mobile data is good for basic browsing. rural living has it;s disadvantages. it's not Verizon's responsibility to be a replacement for bale or DSL just because neither wants to come to a rural area.

In October and early Nov they had a promo where 30 GB was $130 and 40 GB was $150. Still a pretty low amount for what you want to do but it's better than what they charge now for those amounts.

kb85
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually yes it is. It's certainly a second tier option you only choose when a hard line connection isn't available but it's the only internet solution for some rural areas and even areas that aren't truly rural just in a dead zone between two infrastructures.

Considering the limited applications where it makes sense to utilize this type of service in the manner we require not having higher tier packages even at an unreasonable price (which I already consider current capped plans to be) makes no sense. The number of people who would want, much less need the service is small and could not possibly come close to placing a strain of the network. Expecting wired speeds and unlimited data for a cost comparative to a wired connection is unreasonable. Desiring reasonable speeds (which to me would be as low as 1MB/s) with a datacap high enough to allow reasonable ability to utilize that speed in 2014 is not that out there. The ability to provide reasonably high data caps at a fair price to an extreme minority is both possible and profitable. When there is doubt about which is cheaper between renting a cheap apartment and paying for utilities and a wired connection v a 100GB data cap ($500-600 on the plans I could find) for rural internet alone something is wrong.  But my personal views on telcom pricing and exploitation of consumers aside my question was if there were other, unadvertised solutions available.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If it were profitable in a rural area, it would be more profitable in an urban area, and then Verizon should simply just offer unlimited data. Unfortunately, that is not the case Just because you would like something does not mean you can get it at a reasonable price. It is more reasonable to drop Netflix and go with something like DirecTV for your entertainment choice. Then you could go with a more reasonable data cap like the 10 or 15 GB/month.

It is curious how people expect to only pay $8/month for a service like Netflix and expect another company to foot the bill for bringing the service to you.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's not really a question about profits per says but technical limits. With only 20 MHz max use for  DL capability you simply can't have hundreds or even dozens of people trying to stream HD video and have a network that is reliable. Now once Verizon enables LTE-A and uses carrier aggregation and has more spectrum and installs for macrocells and microcells then maybe. But we are talking several years away for this. Of course all that cost money which does get into the whole profitability question. But as it stands now if Verizon offered unlimited data in most areas the network would end up being slower than molasses in January and everyone would complain.

rcschnoor
Legend

mrhelper wrote:

It's not really a question about profits per says but technical limits.

Well, yes it is when I am replying to the statement "The ability to provide reasonably high data caps at a fair price to an extreme minority is both possible and profitable. "

0 Likes
kb85
Enthusiast - Level 2

Uh no. I haven't had TV service for eight years. There's a reason more people are cutting the cord every day. I don't think you understand rural v urban. In an urban area wireless data needs are minimal.  You likely have a wired connection at home. Even if not Wi-Fi is plentiful and often freely available. It's not a service you need to utilize it's a convenience. In a rural area it's your main and possibly only internet access. Your computer connects to it. Wi-Fi in my case is available, but an hours drive away. The population density is hilariously lower as well. There were more people living in the city I moved from than there are total in the neighboring counties combined. Wireless data availability to rural areas is a byproduct of necessary coverage expansion  and evolving tech rather than a direct intended goal.

I don't need unlimited data at fiber speeds. I need a cap based in the realm of reality for normal usage in an abnormal and uncommon situation. I would happily pay $120 a month for say 20gigs of usage with throttled speeds after that. I would happily pay $120 for a 10 gig cap with unlimited data from midnight to 5am or whatever hours are considered least utilized.. I would be happy with either option at half of my current speed. There are a myriad of solutions that simply aren't offered because providers rather than consumers currently decide what is fair and reasonable.

I would rather do without that pay for service that does not meet my needs. So that's what I'll probably do.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Not everyone in a city has internet or access to wifi-fi and I can guarantee you if Verizon offered unlimited data people in the cities would forget about using wi-fi. Why would you bother with wi-fi if your mobile connection is unlimited? Now while a rural area may not have the data needs of a city the fact is Verizon has ONE price for it's data .There isn't a city price and rural price. Thus Verizon plans have to be based on area where usage would be highest. Also a rural area has fewer towers to it kind of even out how much data a tower uses.

rcschnoor
Legend

kb85 wrote:

Uh no. I haven't had TV service for eight years.

And that is a choice you have made. Switching from TV service to another service, Netflix, which requires a data feed of SEVERAL GB in order to use means you have to consider the price of those GB when considering the cost of your entertainment choice.

Switch to Netflix if you want, but then you have to live with the cost of that choice, which INCLUDES the cost of data supplied by your provider of choice. Possibly Netflix should increase its price and come to an agreement with wireless providers NOT to include the data used by the app to be included in the customers carrier data charges. THEN the imaginary low cost of Netflix will not be so small when comparing to cable/dish TV services which DO include the cost of delivery to your home in the price you are charged. When you don't include the cost of delivery in the price you pay, and instead place the onus on the delivery company to simply foot the bill in order to make the price in your favor, you are not being realistic.

Not applicable

tigerthetony wrote:

She can always increase her data package, but it would be an additional 10 dollars per 2 GB's to increase it. At that point, if possible, it may be a better Idea to look for an unlimited ISP instead of a wireless one with a data cap.  I'd personally just weigh the costs with whats available, some areas are rural, and don't have access to very many ISPs.

Where do you get that figure? The 15 GB plan is $100. 5 GB for an extra $20 is $8 per 2 GB not $10.

0 Likes
tigerthetony
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, when you live in a rural area it's tough, I'm lucky enough to live near a city so there are several options. Usually you'll have the best luck by calling or chatting with customer service. They may be able to see some plan options that you can't see online. Everytime I call in I ask if there is a better plan than the one I'm on just in case. Smiley Happy Hope your able to find an alternative solution for your needs, streaming video would run a data package up pretty quick!

kb85
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess I'll give that a try unless CS responds here first. We tried the other day but gave up on getting an actual rep on the line after about an hour. Thanks for the info!

0 Likes