Is there an easy way to know which app(s) are causing spike in Data Usage?
GV2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an iphone 4, but son and daughter have iphone 5s and my wife a lumina.  We all spiked in data usage last month, how do we determine what caused this?  Was it Facebook or Pandora?  Some other app? There must be an easy way to find out. Please advise.  Thanks!Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GV2,

I'm glad Mrhelper was able to shed some light on this for you! In iPhones, the amount of data you're seeing under each app is for the "Current Period." Just above that list you'll see info about the Current Period and Current Period Roaming. This is just an overall snapshot of total data usage for that period of time. The Current Period does not reset on its own, so it will be counting everything from the last time you reset it through now. You can reset it by scrolling to the bottom and tapping on "Reset Statistics."

So, for example, if you reset your statistics 3 days ago and then there's 1GB used under App Store you'll know that over the last 3 days 1 GB of data has been used for the App Store.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Look in settings under cellular and see what apps are using the most data.

GV2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  First easy answer I received.  Let me ask this please.  That app list tells you how much you have used with that app for the month? or how much gets used when you launch that particular app?  Thanks. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Not applicable

On Androids it lists data usage over 30 days. In fact you can set it to be the same as your billing ccycle. Not sure how it work for iPhones or Luminas. I will say it's probably Pandora more than Facebook. Pandora on mobile streams at 64 kbps. That abut 28 MB per hour so 1 hour a day would be 850 MB in a month. With something like that you should really be using wi-fi if you have access to it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GV2,

I'm glad Mrhelper was able to shed some light on this for you! In iPhones, the amount of data you're seeing under each app is for the "Current Period." Just above that list you'll see info about the Current Period and Current Period Roaming. This is just an overall snapshot of total data usage for that period of time. The Current Period does not reset on its own, so it will be counting everything from the last time you reset it through now. You can reset it by scrolling to the bottom and tapping on "Reset Statistics."

So, for example, if you reset your statistics 3 days ago and then there's 1GB used under App Store you'll know that over the last 3 days 1 GB of data has been used for the App Store.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport