Long term customer Very disappointed with forced loss of grandfathered plan
buzzillion
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been a customer of Verizon since the Airtouch days.  I've brought my family, friends, etc. over to Verizon - more than 12 accounts total.  But now Verizon has disallowed the use of the unlimited data plans and forced us to go to metered plans.  F   rom my perspective, this is totally unacceptable.  For the first time, I find myself shopping other carriers and will take my family with me.  Thanks Verizon for being just another senseless corporate entity.

Labels (1)
33 Replies
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Wow.  Tinfoil hats, too.

Again, you ALWAYS have other options.  You can purchase a device at full retail or from another source and KEEP your unlimited data plan.

At some point, Verizon WILL "force" people off unlimited.  But that point is not now.

airsushi
Enthusiast - Level 1

For what it's worth I would be surprised to hear the same people argue that it's fair if the situation was reversed. The industry standard has been after 24 months the consumer is able to upgrade to a new phone at a subsidized price. I don't believe you were arguing that Verizon was not allowed to change policy just that it was unfair considering past practice. I think that this exemplifies the reasons that it is time to switch. I personally just upgraded from my Note 2 to the Note 3 and from a Galaxy 3 to an iPhone 5s for 0 down and with a 260 credit on my account. Go T-Mobile.

LadyVermont
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh Dear!! What a horrible ordeal! You are experiencing the reality that customer service has went away with the steam engine. Verizon seems to have quite the revolving door with employees. I've yet to walk in my local Verizons and see the same people working there. Sometimes you'll just have to bite the bullet and lose and credits coming to you, have them delete your account and when you re-up, (if you dare try using the company again) and change your name and number,,,,,,,,,,,George T. Jones to G. Thomas Jones, just to leave the horrible paper trail behind. Start out fresh with a new phone number and see if that's workable. Tell you one thing, you certainly are detail minded and they should hire you as head of customer service. If anyone has run the gamut of problems one could experience IT'S YOU !!!

Good luck to you, LadyVermont

buzzillion
Enthusiast - Level 3

I never really thought in modern history that I'd be shopping for a new carrier until now.  I was happy as a bug in a rug with my service aside from knowing I was paying too much. But now I've had a chance to look at other carriers and I'm blown away by the alternatives.

The greatest misconception going on right now is that people are talking phone subsidies vs. paying for phones outright.  After looking around, I can get a financed phone WITH unlimited service rolled in at least 20% cheaper than just the cost of service with Verizon.  So the whole idea of subsidized phones collapse when you look at other carriers.  After being forced to look around and see what's available, I'm even MORE mystified why Verizon decided to close the ability of people to keep their grandfathered plans with new subsidized phones.  It makes no business sense to remove a perk that has obviously kept long term members happy.  They obviously have no idea what membership rewards are all about.

At this point, the issue is moot now.  I have already opened an new account with another carrier, purchased an unlocked phone and my bill will be $50 less a month.  I'm no longer trapped in a contract and now I AM in control.  My girlfriend, her daughter, my Mom, Dad and sister are all headed out the door also.  Nearly $600/mo lost from just my circle alone.

Anyhow, it was a good run.  But I won't be attached to the yoke of big red any longer.

And thanks for the kind words LadyVermont!

Not applicable

Sadly this is the only option open to us.  I have been a Verizon customer since 1995, when I got my first Cell phone.  I am glad I can port all my phones to Straight Talk.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I am recently divorced and my budget if TIGHT.  I researched other plans so that I might port my number out of Verizon and still have decent 4G service.  AT&T - no, just as pricey.   T-Mobile, poor coverage, better price.  But I can't take my phones to these carriers, so no benefit.

Short story is .... I am going to Straight Talk, which uses Verizon service.   I will save $100 a month over my family plan and we get unlimited data (2.5GB at 4G speed, throttled after until new month)  Since none of us use all 2GB we have now I'm not worried.

I look at it this way - I will save $1200 in a year, $2400 in 2 years.  That will easily buy 3 new smart phones.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Keep in mind that although they may use Verizons towers, first precedence goes to actual Verizon customers. So....in an outage, VZW customers restored first. Heavy call volume?  VZW customers first. There will always be a lag or delay on straight talk. And god forbid you need customer service. It will be from an underpaid foreign call center. The old adage "you get what you pay for" was invented for a reason.

MrLocker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon supporters will bring out the negatives like this as a ploy to scare Verizon customers into sticking with Verizon.  I heard the same thing almost word for word from another Verizon supporter, rcshnoor.  Can you point out any actual cases where tower sharing has resulted in lag or delay after an outage or during heavy call volume?  Or is this just a gut feeling Verizon company supporters share with Verizon customers?  I understand Verizon customers are served first but Verizon sells network airtime to several carriers at lower rates. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Check the coverage before you leap.

" And god forbid you need customer service. It will be from an underpaid foreign call center."

Not anything like Verizon's sterling reputation for customer service.

VERIZON NEEDS TO RESPECT CUSTOMER LOYALTY TO IMPROVE CUSTOMER RELATIONS

Ignoring loyalty has a direct impact on customer relations. As buzillion states:  "I've brought my family, friends, etc. over to Verizon - more than 12 accounts total."  Loyalty.  See what doing the right thing can do?  But it won't happen now because he is being PUSHED to get rid of his unlimited plan. He's taking his 12 accounts elsewhere.  Business lost.   How can that be good?

Not applicable

Verizon supporters? Would not a forum for verizon customers be verizon supporters with service issues?

Although I have very little complaint with my service and the simple fact of the matter is verizon does have the largest and most reliable cellular and data networks.

Let's say for discussion purposes Verizon decided not to share their service towers. Let's even say no carrier that sweated and paid to make their buildouts decided to allow no company to share their networks and only their paying subscribers.

You see Straight Talk and others can sell service so cheaply since they own no networks to maintain, they don't own the infrastructure but rely on buying connectivity from companies that do own them. Naturally if one were to think about it the main use of the towers would give their own customers priority.

Now many of the brick and mortar mainline companies like in order of customers Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile have purchased these companies like Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Go Mobile, Straight Talk prepaid service but will not give absolute priority to such companies even when they own them. Its like Consumer Cellular which uses AT&T towers. They were just given a number one in customer satisfaction.

The day of cellular companies holding customer base is on its way out. With no more subsidize devices, no more contracts, and frankly almost 100% saturation of the customer base the cell companies will try to raise revenues at any cost. The customer is a pawn in the lions den. All these cell companies can claim they are the largest, the best coverage, the best customer service, the highest number of subscribers but with these same claims you have to remember they now don't care if you leave, they don't care that your device is non functioning, they don't have to give deals or incentives to get your business or keep you as a customer. It is all about the revenue base.

Years ago Verizon the telephone company lagged behind in giving high speed data, they just watched cable providers take away business while they quietly built out there service. Today Verizon FIOS and TV are the best. Verizon lost money to make money via customers. Smart move.

Verizon Wireless started out late in the game. Did you know Sprint PCS was the frontrunner in providing service?

However they just did not have the money. Then Cellular one had the largest customer base, they changed to Cingular Wireless and took their time building out, they had partners they used for cellular services. Again Verizon then called Bell Atlantic/NYNEX Mobile (Arch Wireless & Air touch and others they absorbed) quietly built up their networks and customer base to become number one. They don't need to appease customers any longer. They are number one and they know it.

I have read for each customer that leaves that two or more sign up. (Churn)

So just take a wait and see attitude and if you can get a better service for less go for it.

rcschnoor
Legend

Elector wrote:

So just take a wait and see attitude and if you can get a better service for less go for it.

As you are aware, that IS my motto with, but not limited to, cellular service.Smiley Happy

For me, that currently is Verizon as they have by far the best service for the areas I frequent. As you have done in the past(with T-Mobile most recently), I routinely look at the other carriers to see if they would be a better fit for my needs. Unfortunately, T-Mobile and Sprint simply have too many dead spots(i.e. NO service) in areas I frequent, and Verizon currently has better service for me then AT&T.

Being a former customer of both Sprint and AT&T(sometimes with multiple carriers simultaneously as you have also done), I am living proof of my motto that IF I could get the service I have come to expect(or would like to have) from a different carrier, especially at a lower price, I would give them a try. Obviously THAT makes me a Verizon "supporter" in the eyes of some. That's OK, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.Smiley Happy I AM a Verizon "supporter"

It is also at least a BIT funny if someone tries to educate themselves about their providers policies instead of staying ignorant of them, that makes them a "supporter" of that provider???? And you should NEVER try to help anyone else in understanding those policies!

MrLocker
Enthusiast - Level 3

rschnoor and elector

So do either of you have some actual experiences we can read about.concerning the horrible service, lag etc.?  I know you like to do research so as to accurately inform.  Customer complaints come from every wireless carrier. Unreliable. I was thinking more along the lines of news articles.  Depending on the number of different occurrences and how severe could put some real meat into your warning. I'm looking too but I haven't found anything yet. My gut feeling is there are some valid stories but I haven't been able to uncover any so far. 

The day of cellular companies holding customer base is on its way out. Why? 

With no more subsidize devices, no more contracts, and frankly almost 100% saturation of the customer base the cell companies will try to raise revenues at any cost.  To what level?   So eventually only the rich will be able to afford a cell phone?  That seems like a crazy thing for an American business to do. To their fellow Americans where the revenue comes from.

All these cell companies can claim they are the largest, the best coverage, the best customer service, the highest number of subscribers but with these same claims you have to remember they now don't care if you leave, they don't care that your device is non functioning, they don't have to give deals or incentives to get your business or keep you as a customer. It is all about the revenue base.  When they upset a Verizon customer to the extent they want to switch carriers, the customer drags everyone he can away, telling his story over and over. When he goes, multiple accounts go with him.  So the carriers behave like sharks, always having to rely on fresh blood. Maybe I'm missing something here but this does not sound like a good way to do business with the customer base. Sort of like cutting the goose open to get all the golden eggs at once because impatience won't allow waiting for tomorrows profit.  But hey . . . look at that huge revenue base!

rcschnoor
Legend

1 - No I do not however I had no real experience with Verizon validating employment for "employee discounts" until a few months ago. I do remember mentioning on this forum a year or so ago how I thought it strange that I signed up for an employee discount with Verizon several years ago and not once had Verizon checked to see if I was still an employee for that company. I just assumed they sporadically checked the email address I signed up with to see if it was still valid.Smiley Happy

2 - I have no idea. Possibly because people are so quick to jump ship when they feel they have been slighted, regardless of the quality of service from other providers.

3 - obviously to what the market will bear. If Verizon starts losing customers instead of gaining them, I would assume they will change their strategy.

4 - I have always thought that word of mouth was highly overrated in the cellular industry. I have not once tried to sway the cellular decision of anyone I know, nor has anyone tried to sway me. I personally don't know which service provider most of my friends currently subscribe. The few instances where I do know are those I have loaned/given an old phone to when their phone broke while they were still under contract and not eligible for a discounted upgrade. IF I am asked a question, I will try to provide the information they are asking. I think if a person is happy with their carrier, they are unlikely to make a switch EVEN if someone DID try to sway their decision.

Not applicable

It is unlikely the cell providers can get any great number of subscribers, since if you Google it between all the claims of cellular customers holding 120 Million at Verizon, 115 Million at AT&T and 80+Million at Sprint and finally T-Mobile at probably the same. That is saturation. When you have almost as many customers as there are people. You can Google on population and also on how many people or households have cell phone. Some families have more phones than people using them. My wife and I each have a phone and a third for cases of emergency which can be a broken device, loss or theft or just for any reason.

The cellular providers don't care if you are happy any longer, customer services cut into profits, and even keeping people to handle customer inquiries is now being done with automation more than with people.

The day of appeasing a customer to have them stay is waining. Your choices are great for a provider, they all have good features and bad. Verizon has the best coverage, AT&T has the fastest 4 G, Sprint has the best deals in cell phone selection and customer services and T-Mobile has the innovation of being first with no contracts, full price phones for a monthly payment, the best Global Plan in the industry. But they are in last place so they have to have a gimmick to get customer base. Sprint & T-Mobile offer unlimited data with their plans, Verizon & AT&T do not.

That is why no word of mouth of threatening to leave and take the whole brood with you is no longer a threat.

Leave and find if the coverage works for you. Leave if you want unlimited data. Leave if you want outstanding customer service. The basic facts are you are not going to get all you want with one provider. My reasons are within my post.

And as RC was saying if you can find the services you need at another provider then the customer should leave.

There is no such thing as loyalty since the corporations know customers will leave for whatever reason. You can tell verizon I am going to take my whole three lines,or ten lines to another provider. When in the beginning days they would plead with you to stay, today they send you a final bill, and a adios. Hense my statement of they just don't care.

Research on Google via using different phrases and you will see the answers you are looking for.

Good Luck