Re: NEW EDGE PROGRAM
Not applicable

Yes I understand that. I'm referring to the typical 2 year contract person that likes to come here and complain a lot. These are the same people that thinking paying a $30 upgrade fee thus making their $650 iPhone $230 is being ripped off.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Ironically that $30 is how much I pay in tax for a $600 phone... Maybe Verizon makes people pay some of the tax upfront.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sales tax on a $600 phone in my area would be $58.50

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Terrible $30 or full retail tax Verizon should tell people lol instead

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tidbits, we want to be upfront about this. Click http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/vz-edge.html for all the details regarding how you are billed for the Edge agreement for your device.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

yeah we also have to pay 7.75% sales tax on groceries. Any way with most phones even the $15 Edge discount saves or at least is the same as getting a 2 year contract. And if it's the same why not just get on Edge and have the ability to upgrade in 18 months instead of 24? Also if I was going to have to pay $252 on a $600 phone with a 2 year contract, why not take that $252 and put it on the down payment on an Edge plan? That would lower the Edge payment from $24.99 to $16.92 and I'd also reach the 75% in 15 months. The old edge plan the $10 discount was not advantageous with it being $15 it is.

Also what people don't get is upgrading after 12 months at 60% with a $10 discount is at best about $80 cheaper than upgrading at 12 months paying 75% and getting a $15 monthly discount. And that's if you're getting the most expensive iPhone which is $950

Below $450 the 12 mo / 75% / $15 discount is cheaper

Between $450-$650 12 mo / 60% /$10 discount is cheaper by at most $35. After 13 months it's about the same after 14 months or longer 75% / $15 discount is cheaper. So for the vast majority of people on 8 GB plans or lower the new Edge plans are in fact cheaper than the old ones. People on 10 GB or higher, yes upgrading before 15 months is more expensive, 15 months it's the same after 15 months it's cheaper.

abdiziriel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand that you can save money on the phone in the long run. But, I am not a heavy user data. To get a $25 discount I would have to get the 10gb data plan. Then pay $30 for 24 months for the phone. Even when you get $25 discount every month, you are already adding on a data plan that I would not use. I don't even use 3gb a month and I have 3 lines. I would be paying more monthly and the phone will have to trade it in when I want to upgrade, If I stay on contract I pay de $230 but keep my old phone. Or even sell it and pay part of the cost of the new one.

My statement was that, the first terms Verizon put on the Edge program, able to upgrade at 50%, or even at 60% was reasonable. Now I don't see it that way.

0 Likes
abdiziriel
Enthusiast - Level 3

The bottom line is... when Verizon introduced the "Edge" program, was with the intention of being able to upgrade your device early without having to wait 2 years. The only way you can do that is by paying 75% of your device upfront now. from an iPhone 6 that would be close to $500 and also give the device in ans start from 0 on your new device debt. Does that make sense to someone? It's people choice... but, back to the point, this edge program changed a lot and not for making it better for people for sure.

0 Likes
Not applicable

abdiziriel wrote:

I understand that you can save money on the phone in the long run. But, I am not a heavy user data. To get a $25 discount I would have to get the 10gb data plan. Then pay $30 for 24 months for the phone. Even when you get $25 discount every month, you are already adding on a data plan that I would not use. I don't even use 3gb a month and I have 3 lines. I would be paying more monthly and the phone will have to trade it in when I want to upgrade, If I stay on contract I pay de $230 but keep my old phone. Or even sell it and pay part of the cost of the new one.

My statement was that, the first terms Verizon put on the Edge program, able to upgrade at 50%, or even at 60% was reasonable. Now I don't see it that way.

You do realize you can get a $15 discount for any data plan under 10 GB. My math says for most it's cheaper. You're complaining about not beging to upgrade for 18 months on Edge yet you are willing to stay on a 2 year contract where you have to wait 24 months. That makes no sense. 18 months is MUCH sooner than 24. Also Verizon didn't have to let you upgrade early on Edge AT ALL. T-Mobile doesn't and at&t plans are the same as Verizon's.

$30 for 24 months? Which phone is $720?

Once again fun with math - Old Edge 60%/ 20 months/ $10 discount vs new Edge 75%/ 24 months /$15 on a  $600 phone on your 3 GB plan

wanting to upgrade after 12 months

old edge 12 X $30( monthly edge payment )=$360 - $120( 12 X $10 edge discount )total paid $240

new edge 12 X $25( monthly edge payment )=$300 plus $150 to reach 75%=$450 - $180( 12 X $15 edge discount )total paid $270

So yes you are paying a whopping $30 more on the newer plan if you wanted to upgrade at 12 months

Upgrade after 13 months

old edge 13 X $30( monthly edge payment )=$390 - $130( 13 X $10 edge discount )total paid $260

new edge 13 X $25( monthly edge payment )=$325 plus $120 to reach 75%=$450 - $195( 13 X $15 edge discount )total paid $255

New Edge $5 cheaper

Upgrade after 14 months

old edge 14 X $30( monthly edge payment )=$420 - $140( 14 X $10 edge discount )total paid $280

new edge 14 X $25( monthly edge payment )=$350 plus $100 to reach 75%=$450 - $210( 14 X $15 edge discount )total paid $240

New Edge $40 cheaper. And the savings get larger each month

0 Likes
abdiziriel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand your point and I know the maths. but you say there's not too much difference between upgrading in 18 months or 24 month. There is a difference, and the difference is that at 18 months you have to turn in your device to get a new one. at 24 month on contract you keep your device. So, still better Edge?

Again, I understand that it may be cheaper in terms of cost, but why not wait 6 more month for the 24 month contract and be able to keep the phone instead of upgrading at 18 month and give Verizon the equipment you paid for 18 months?

0 Likes