Poor Coverage and Getting Worse
jfpoje
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been a Verizon customer for nearly 20 years.  For most of that time, I have stuck with Verizon because the coverage was hands down the best.

Over the last 2 years, Verizon's coverage has gotten worse and worse.  I live in the populous suburbs of Chicago, not in the stix.  I work in a major government office, also in the suburbs.  Yet, if I walk from one side of my house to another, I lose any call I'm on.  My phone doesn't even ring sitting on my desk in my office.

And that's just voice coverage.  At work, 6 out of 10 times I can't get anything better than a 1x data signal, let alone LTE.  I may as well just use my phone as a paperweight during the day, and at home I have to go through my home's wi-fi to be able to do anything on it.

Verizon needs to resolve it's coverage issues quickly.  It is about that time that I take my business somewhere else.

237 Replies
benjamindavisson
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same experience. I switched almost 10 years ago and I had amazing service. I brought over all of my family and they loved it too. Recently, I'm lucky to get cell service in my home where I never had trouble before. I cannot receive 4G or 5G on my phone or tablet anymore. Areas around town where I previously had excellent service are now dead zones. I thought that it might have been my phone so I bought a new one and upgraded. It turns out that the problem still persists. I don't want to leave Verizon but having reliable service is more important than customer loyalty. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

benjamindavisson, I rely on my phone for many tasks, so I know how urgent a resolution is, but receiving service in a certain location, home or building can be difficult based on many factors. Here is a video: https://www.verizon.com/support/troubleshooting-wireless-signal-coverage-video/ with all the details and solutions to help keep you with Verizon. 

-David

0 Likes
kittenboops
Enthusiast - Level 1

Adding my own complaint to this old thread. I've been a VZW customer for what has to be close to 2 decades now, and on a family plan for many years with my siblings. Ever since my brother was enticed years ago by VZW salesman to sign up for an "unlimited data" plan, my service has been awful. Even when my bars are "full" I will not be able to pull up simple websites on my phone depending on my location in the town I live in. Now once again my brother was enticed to change our plan after breaking his phone and needing a new one, and my portion of the bill has jumped by $20/month. For what? What am I getting out of VZW by paying that much extra a month? Considering how bad VZW service is, it's time to say goodbye. 👋

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our top priority is to keep you connected with good service. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. Let's gather more details. Do you typically have these issues with your service while being outdoors? -Joel

0 Likes
BearNmeg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue as op. Been a Verizon customer since 2003 and always had excellent signal strength and service in places when people with other cellular providers would not have service. For almost the past 2 years, I’ve had terrible cellular signal strength the majority of the time and I’m less than 30 miles from Silicon Valley. I’ve also had the 5G service briefly and had same low signal strength in 2 different 5G coverage cities-San Jose and Fresno. I upgraded my iPhone SE 1st edition to an iPhone 12 thinking that would resolve my issue, but unfortunately that didn’t occur. I’ve been so frustrated that I’ve contacted Verizon about it and they just told me that it’s because the user traffic volume is higher near the cellular tower I’m using and suggested I reset my network settings. Tried this suggestion numerous times and still it remains that I only ever have at most 2 bars of signal strength or none in my usual areas and occasionally I’ll get full strength in a commercial area. But the signal strength is always 2 bars or less and it’s frustrating and also makes me consider taking the time and enduring the hassle and expense to switch cellular providers. I don’t like to use my WiFi at home with my phone because my data cost for that is extremely high. I also have friends and family with long term Verizon service and different phone brands and they also are experiencing the same issues and have not moved and have new phones that are all up to date with their OS. Please fix this issue Verizon! There’s definitely something wrong on your end and it’s a travesty to claim #1 cellular service provider when your coverage reliability doesn’t work in your large coverage areas. This is not an Apple or Samsung etc etc issue. 

loki1943
Enthusiast - Level 1

It has gotten atrociously bad in my area; previously Verizon phone hotspot and actual dedicated Verizon hotspots worked great in my area in 2016-17; now you can barely connect to the internet; you can no longer play online games most of the time. I ended up cancelling the hotspots because I was paying money for something that provided no benefit over my terrible satellite internet. I plan on cancelling Verizon service altogether by May once I have informed all my contacts and gotten a new number. I might as well use straight talk if I get no benefit from using Verizon; i.e. I can get the same terrible service for less $$ from straight talk that I'm getting for more $$ from Verizon at this point.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your many years of loyalty are greatly appreciated and it is understandable to feel upset with service issues. We always want you to receive the best value and would never want you to consider switching wireless carriers. The fact that lines were cancelled due to a lack of service is a concern. What we can do is find out what's caused the change and what can be recommended as a solution. What exactly is the problem with coverage? Please provide specific details related to the calls, text messages and data.  What troubleshooting steps have been completed on your end? -Rita K.

0 Likes
mlody_me
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have 7 active lines with Verizon and are slowly starting the process of moving them to different carriers. We are done with Verizon - the last trip we took, around Lake Michagan - WI, IN, IL, nothing but disappointment - we have kids on prepaid ATT and T-mobile service and they both had much better coverage (working coverage) than our Verizon postpaid 5G phones. Also my city (downtown area) is all plasted as having 5G UW band (c-band) according to VZ maps. I wantto challenge Verizon to come here and actually show me where that coverage is, cause I walked the town so many times and nothing - all we get is 5G which is actually slowe than LTE. I am soo sick and tied of all VZ lies. Perhaps they used to be on top the coverage game years ago, but this does not seem to be a case anymore. - bye bye VZ

Wickdchyld
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’m in Fort Myers FL never had an issue in 15+ years and now two years of this is ridiculous.  
WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX IT instead reading scripts.   WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX IT, instead of LYING YOU THE CUSTOMERS that built your company.

I never recommend Verizon to any anymore, Verizon is becoming the garbage can of cell services.  Figure it’s time to leave this service or get a class action suit going!!!   You charge more and give less service, how does that even make any sense???  Total garbage, time to boycott c.r.a.p service if they can’t be honest and or come up with a solution. #verizonisgarbage

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wickdchyld, making sure you have the services you need is important to us. Allow us the opportunity to investigate this matter. Does your service concern happen primarily indoors or outdoors? What services are impacted (calls, text, data)? Also, how far do you have to travel to receive a consistent connection? 

-Sylvia

0 Likes
AM0309
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same 94801 area

wesley5150
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here, over the last year or so, our data speed has gotten really bad. I can have 4 bars and the highest speed I get is 2.75Mbs, sometime it gets down to .75Mbs, when I used to get up to 25Mbs. And, it's not just me, everyone I know who lives in the same area is having the same experience.

I always paid more money to be on Verizon because I had superior coverage but it might be time to switch carriers after almost 20 years of Verizon.

Patrickmcdiver
Enthusiast - Level 1

I knew it would happen, too. This is their way of forcing you to go to 5G. They don't wand to support 4G anymore. They did the same with 3G.

Hothairjulia
Enthusiast - Level 1

My family has also been a Verizon customer for over 20 years.  The coverage in our area, and everywhere I travel has gotten worse and worse.  Areas I never had issues with I am now loosing service.   It is pretty bad when I have terrible service at my work (not just inside), which is less than a mile west from down town Meridian ID.   Several of my co workers have also been complaining about this. I travel frequently, and Verizon used to be the most reliable.  Now I am finding my friends with significantly less expensive cell plans have better coverage. When you pay a premium for what is supposed to be premiere, it should be so.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Are you experiencing service issues while you're indoors, outdoors, or both? Can you provide our Team with the city's name and state that you're in and the nearest intersection where you're located so that we can review the area where you're experiencing service issues? (Not your exact address while in this public forum) Thanks for your time and patience! -Robert C.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As long-time and valued customers, your family's service concerns are our concerns to. Having reliable service available at all times is very important.  Let's work together to address and resolve your service concerns.

Can you tell us more about your service? Have there been any recent changes with your devices? (e.g., software update, new apps downloaded, recent SIM Card change, etc.) Please reboot your phones while we're troubleshooting together. Thanks!-Robert C.

0 Likes
Jolmeda121
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don’t get any pleasure in reading other customers struggles with the VZ service lately, but I’m glad I’m not alone. I live in S. FL and work as a sales rep covering several counties. My work (and safety) often is very dependent on having good cell service. Unfortunately, I’m not getting that AT ALL.  My calls sound horrible and drop all day. When I try to access the web the browser runs extremely slow and choppy at best. When my family come down from out of state they quickly see the difference in service quality as soon as they land. There’s gotta be a better carrier out there for me. VZ is way too expensive for what we’re getting. Not happy. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Jolmeda121! Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry to read that you're having trouble with the service. We know it's vital to have a great connection, and we'd love to help you get this resolved. Please tell us more about the situation. Is this happening everywhere or only in specific locations? Are you having trouble indoors or outdoors?  ~Aaron

0 Likes
Tracydds
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hate that this problem is common, but I am happy I am not alone. I have never had an issue with coverage or signal but in the past two weeks I am unable to complete a call without the signal dropping at my home and at my work. It is beyond frustrating and I have the newest iPhone so I can’t imagine that is the issue.  I am typically connected to wifi and it says I have 3-4 bars of service but it certainly doesn’t seem that way. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'd like to see what's going on. Let's get to the bottom of this. Please send us a Private Note for assistance.m *Melissa

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you have excellent service.*Melissa

0 Likes