Program & Setup Fee - Verizon retailer store
heomoi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi

I made a mistake by upgrading 4  phones at Verizon Retail Dealer store at Eastridge mall.  I paid $40 (non-refundable) for device set up fee in additional with activation fee $35 (once time charge on 1st bill) for each device .  Besides this they overcharged me $10 more on each device I purchased. I thought coming there to get the iPhones right away but ended up still waiting for the order delivery. I lost $153 for purchasing 3 devices from them. Even worse, after paying the tax and fees I contacted the salesman for device trade in he ignored my text. I’ve learned my lesson I would never go to Verizon retailer store for upgrade phones anymore.  Verizon will lose customers for having such retailers because they tricked customers. I wished I had never been there. 

Re: Program & Setup Fee
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning!  Thanks for reaching to us.  We understand that you have some questions about your account.  We are more than happy to assist.  Please send a PM for further assistance.  *Jerina 

0 Likes
Re: Program & Setup Fee - Verizon retailer store
zaherjj

I was charged $70 set-up fee in addition to $35 activation. The setup only took 5-10 minutes and it was done by software, no intervention by the representative. So what exactly is the $70 paying for?

0 Likes
Twarren1515
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can understand your frustration in a way. I went to my local Verizon store and the representative i had did not know how to use a debt card and kept swipping my card. 5 times he swipt it. This was on a Friday evening. He ran all the money on my checking account and told me it would be back in my account in 5 to 7 days. Didnt apologize or anything. Was just like ow well, move on to the next customer. It was very frustrating. I had no money in my account until monday morning. He left me no money for the weekend. Thankfully i had help. But what if he did that to someone who was all on their own and needed that money for food or gas over the weekend. I left and will never go back to that store. If i have to go to Verizon,  i drive 1 1/2 hours to the next store....

0 Likes
Sunflwrr629
Enthusiast - Level 1

My son is at the Verizon store in Pottstown Pa on Shoemaker road, and didn’t even know he was being charged $40 for what they call a set up fee. I called and spoke to Will the rep and then the rude Store Manager took over and they told me it’s a charge that covers him walking in the store and getting help, not just setting up the phone. I find the whole situation sketchy and that they took advantage of my son. I told Will that we don’t need set up help and the Store Manager said that the $40 covers Will’s time getting into the account, paying off the old phone, and helping get the new phone added AS WELL AS setting up the phone with iCloud etc. this whole thing leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and seems like a sc-am. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Sunflwrr629. Help is here. May I ask, did your son visit a premium retailer by chance? Direct Verizon store locations do not charge this fee but the premium retailers do as they have their own pricing for set up. Please let us know. 

-Natasha

0 Likes
Calebj517

Yes they do the one in West Farms Mall (corporate location) tried to charge $30 to set up. They were very rude, disrespectful and short. 

0 Likes
mrcwoods

Wish I would have read this thread first. Same thing happen to me and my family. Went in for 4 iPhone 14s (their promo). They only had 3 in back...had to upgrade to a 15. He was very pushy with the insurance. We did all of the leg work downloading the app to transfer phone info. Found out later that cost me $30 per phone for set-up only to be charged another $35 per phone to activate. $65 per phone??? Outrageous!!! What about my discounts I was promised...oh, those don't come off your bill for 2 or 3 cycles...wish I was told that upfront. Oh yeah, I had to set-up automatic payment and ID check on my own...where is my $30!!! I would change service providers, but there is a $50 restocking fee!!! Not such a great deal!!! They get you coming and going. Called Verizon and said they cannot do anything since it is a retail store. The retail store told me to call Verizon at 611. I got the runaround for 5 hours! If you go into a Verizon store, first ask if it is a retail store, if so promptly leave.

0 Likes
Tuks12

Hi 

The same process was done to me @ florin branch Sacramento next to Walmart. 

I came for a phone and ended up with an upfront of $282 including both activation fees ($35*2) loaded on my side and the said thing I came in as a new client and I had to repay an extra $40 non refundable for an error in uploading files.

I turned to the guy and said , bro sometimes customer service comes first than ripping customers off in broad daylight .

I just came out of that store and.promise myself never to go back to that store.

They just ripping customers in broad daylight there .

So shameful 😞 

0 Likes
Notok

I had the same exact issue.  Plus my bill changes every month. It keeps getting higher for no reason.

0 Likes