Restricted calls not successfully blocked
Southwick

I get frequent calls ID'd as "Restricted". If I don't answer, they continue to ring for minutes,

without going to my voice mail. When I answer them there is no one who talks. After I

hang up, the call is not logged as a received call. Very mysterious. My theory is a person

can be located by answering their phone, such as the 60s & 70s burglar trick to look for houses

with no one home.

Anyway, the obvious solution should be Usage Controls >> Block Restricted Numbers, right?

Well, my caller got through again today, while the block was in place. I was able to verify this

while the caller rang for 5 minutes! The Verizon *611 phone people don't know what's going on.

Anybody else suffering from this? Or any insights? I was told I can send a written complaint by

US Mail to Customer Service in Atlanta Georgia.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Restricted calls not successfully blocked
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Another option (free!) is a third party service called You Mail - there are many "goodies" with this service, and one is called "DitchMail" - when some one calls in with a blocked or restricted number, it plays a recorded message (our own or one of their defaults) stating that you do not accept restricted calls, and asking the caller to unblock and call back. It then hangs up without the option to leave a message.

It also has other options for dealing with calls that have no caller ID - check it out!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

You are paying $4.99/month for the Usage Controls???

0 Likes
Southwick

Yes, $4.99/month for usage controls, I have been told.

I have only had it in place for maybe 10 days, so it hasn't

shown up on a bill yet.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Another option (free!) is a third party service called You Mail - there are many "goodies" with this service, and one is called "DitchMail" - when some one calls in with a blocked or restricted number, it plays a recorded message (our own or one of their defaults) stating that you do not accept restricted calls, and asking the caller to unblock and call back. It then hangs up without the option to leave a message.

It also has other options for dealing with calls that have no caller ID - check it out!
0 Likes
Southwick

Thanks for making me aware of this - youmail.com - very promising!

Looks like they serve smart phones only, which I don't currently have, but I will look into it further.

However, my overarching concern is that there is phone hacking here - somewhat like the case

in London.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Southwick wrote:

Thanks for making me aware of this - youmail.com - very promising!

Looks like they serve smart phones only, which I don't currently have, but I will look into it further.

You mail is available for any phone, not just smartphones.  Although I have a BB now, I used it with my Voyager (not a smartphone)  prior to this and it worked just fine.

0 Likes