Signal booster option - not internet based?
JEFBRE75
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the Texas hill country and get little/no cell service at my house.  I can receive text messages and send them sometimes (if I hold my tongue just right).  I occasionally receive calls and can retrieve voice mail if I stand in one spot at the back of the house - but it's not consistent.   I have kept a rather expensive ($87/month) landline as an emergency line, but would like to eliminate that almost $1000/year cost.  AT&T works perfectly (their towers are much closer apparently) and if I switched to AT&T I could eliminate the landline.  I have seen cell signal boosters offered, and wonder if one could work for me.  The booster offered by Verizon is internet dependent and I do not have great internet at the house- the only option here is satellite and has a data cap.  The internet routinely goes out if there are storms in the area.  Is there any other option for a booster that does not rely on internet?  I have a two story house, and could mount something on the roof if necessary.  If not, I'll plan on switching providers .  Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer!

Labels (1)
2 Replies
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know the importance of needing consistency, JEFBRE75. While user Weth provides some options, we would like to add on a few additional courses of action. To start, what is the make and model of your device? The reason for this, is that in the past year, there’s been two calling aids introduced that are at no cost. One is LTE calling and the other is Wi-Fi calling. Here’s a bit more on both: http://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/hd-voice/

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

There are 2 technologies to get signal. The first is the Network Extender. That is the device that Verizon sells that you connect to a local Internet connection and creates a mini cell site. The extender can work where there is zero signal. The second is a signal booster. These do not use a local Internet connection, but take a signal that is already present and electronically boosts the signal. If you have insufficient signal to boost, these do not work. Typically an antenna for these is placed outdoors on the side of the house or property with the greatest signal. Unfortunately, there is no way to know how well this will work in your particular spot until it is tried. These are not sold through Verizon, but other third part sellers including Amazon.

In your case, if it was me, switching to a provider that has signal where I need it makes more sense.