Swapping Devices on New Line
brendenr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently added a new line to my account that came with a free new iPhone. I would like to use the new iPhone on a different existing line and swap an existing (older) iPhone to the new line.

I'm unsure how to go about this. The Swap device function seems to require that both devices be set up. However, since the new device is on a new, not yet activated, line, it doesn't show up as an option to swap.

When the new device arrives can I upgrade my current active line to that device, erase everything on the current older phone, and then use it to set up the new line?

Or, with eSim cards, is the new line tied to the new device?

0 Likes
Re: Swapping Devices on New Line
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@brendenr ,

While it's great to know that you have a promotion that covers the device payment of your new phone, let's take a step back first to ensure that you don't lose that promotion. The phone needs to be activated first on the new line that was made with it. Once it has been activated, you can move the phone to any other line on same account: https://www.verizon.com/support/swap-devices-faqs/ . As for upgrading another line on your account, as long as you have the ability to make a new device payment on that line, you can upgrade to something else. 

-Russell

0 Likes
brendenr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will the swap device function also transfer the contents of my current iPhone to the new iPhone after it is assigned to my number?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The device swap function allows you to use the device on that number. For content such as media, contacts, etc. this will be tied to your Apple ID. You will want to ensure you have your information backed up to your Apple account and then sign in on the new phone to ensure everything transfers over. 

*Joshua

91Sk

Looking to do the same! Did this work for you?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

91Sk, I can provide some assistance. You are able to switch out devices from one line to another on your account, even if they have promotions. The promotions are tied to the line, so as long as you keep the line active, you can use the device on any other line on the account. Easy way to switch devices on lines is to switch the SIM cards. ~Peter

0 Likes