Usage Controls: IM & Blocked Numbers
patrimonio

Greetings,

I would like to block "AOL Instant Messages" from one of the mobile telephones on my account. In my monthly statement, I noticed an oddly formatted number associated with the "AIM" text messages. Unfortunately, this number seems to change periodically, so the number I blocked in the previous week is no longer the number sending the messages (and, subsequently, gets around the block). Is there a way to block instant messaging services, such as AOL Instant Messaging?

These "instant messages" also seem to be exempt from "time of day" restrictions too. Is this the case? If so, how can I get the Usage Controls to apply to ANY use of the mobile telephone?

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Message Edited by patrimonio on 05-12-2009 10:31 AM
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Usage Controls: IM & Blocked Numbers
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Hello and welcome to the forum!    There are two approaches that "might" work.   There is an "Internet Spam Blocking" feature that you may want to experiement with here.   You can find it by going to My Verizon (hopefully you signed up for this free service) - My Services - My Cell Phone - Spam Controls and click on the "Internet Spam Blocking" tab.    You may try to filter them out from here.

There is also a feature under "Usage Controls" called "Content Filtering" and "Short Codes".    I would bet the funny numbers you are seeing for AIM are coming to you via the "Short Codes".    I have included below the Verizon site that can explain to you in detail how all this works and how you can filter these things out.   

Basically, you are being Spammed by AOL's AIM and they are apparently using short codes to do so.   The site below should assist you in filtering these very annoying messages! :smileyhappy:     I hope this helps and resolves your issue.    If not post back and I guess others can jump on this one too!    

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/content_filtering.html#item5

dancingphone.gif

0 Likes