VERIZON LOST MY TRADE-IN AND IS CHARGING ME FOR IT
twozerotwo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a new iPhone back in Nov 2023 and returned my trade-in (for credit) using the UPS label Verizon provided. UPS tracking shows the the trade-in as delivered on Nov 21, 2023. It's over two months later (Jan 28, 2024) and Verizion has charged my account for the $333 trade-in value and are claiming the phone hasn't arrived at the warehouse yet.

I've spoken to several agents over the past few weeks and was assured each time that the problem was resolved and the charge will be removed. Nothing has changed. Each time the problem gets punted with no action and I've had to reach out over and over. They've suggested that I reach out to UPS and file I claim. Even though that should be their responsibility (because I used the label they provided), I've filed a claim. I've heard nothing.

Update:  gilbert (a rep) reaches out to me for info to resolve my issue. i provide it and after a couple correspondence w/ gilbert, a rep named ivone reaches out to me, asking for the same info. i tell her i'd like to talk to gilbert rather than start the process over and she tells me that i may have to interact w/ more than one rep and suggests i try the chat or call if i want to interact w/ one rep. my original post explains that i've tried those channels (several times) already, so clearly my op isn't being read. i then start the process over w/ ivone and am sent a link to authenticate my account so she can view it. the link doesn't work, which i tell them. next, a rep named joe replies telling me to try the chat.

after several weeks of dealing w/ verizon customer service, zero progress made, a lot of time wasted and frustration, and a bill w/ a $300 charge on it that i don't owe.

UPDATE 2: I reached an agent last week who assured my the problem was taken care of and the $333.28 will be auto-adjusted on my next bill. I received my new bill today and to no surprise I'm still being being billed the $333.28, so NOTHING HAS BEEN RESOLVED. What a customer service nightmare.

UPDATE 3: Verizon is now threatening to suspend service if I don't pay the $333.28 even though I was explicitly told "... I have checked the details and see that you are getting charged for the remaining device payments of $333.28 in your bill . Need not to worry at all, the charges will be auto adjusted in your next bill. I will also make the detailed notes on your account for your future reference regarding the same."

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VERIZON LOST MY TRADE-IN AND IS CHARGING ME FOR IT
twozerotwo
Enthusiast - Level 2

FINALLY! after several weeks and agents (and false assurance) that the problem has been fixed, i got a rep who could actually help me.  there wasn't any asking the same questions over and over. they succinctly got the the root of the problem and removed the charges. thanks to jesse for getting this taken care of for me!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to hear that you haven't found a solution to your trade-in dilema. It's our goal to make sure you get the help you need, and we're going to make sure this is taken care of once and for all. We're sending you a Private Message so we can better help you get this resolved.

~Jesse

0 Likes
ShehawkenPrincess
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have found it useful to keep the bottom tag of return label that includes the specific tracking  number or take a picture. This has been useful for troubleshooting a returned device in past. Good Luck with a credit, I had months of “one time charges” all 2023 with no exchange to devices or unreturned warranty replacements.  Opened multiple tickets and NEVER heard back regarding any follow up.  Also, was told it’s a glitch that the bill reads that way it is only a carried over charge from previous month not fully paid.  Also no way you would get same agent on chat or calling that makes no sense unless they’re referring to the chat AI bot which is good for nothing other than feeding into upset when situation is not understood by a machine! 

0 Likes
twozerotwo
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the advice. next time i'm going to document the entire procedure. 

0 Likes
twozerotwo
Enthusiast - Level 2

FINALLY! after several weeks and agents (and false assurance) that the problem has been fixed, i got a rep who could actually help me.  there wasn't any asking the same questions over and over. they succinctly got the the root of the problem and removed the charges. thanks to jesse for getting this taken care of for me!

0 Likes
DaiLopez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh my God! I thought this was only happening to me! I returned my phone about 3 days after you returned yours and the exact same thing happened to me and now I’m stuck paying for a new phone at full price as well.  I’ve spoken to several representatives and they keep telling me that the pkg was received but there was no phone inside and that I should file a claim with UPS. I can’t file a claim with ups because they only give you a limited amount of time to file and that has already expired because Verizon didn’t notify me that the phone wasn’t received. Instead I found out because I was being charged the full price 3 months later!! How are all these packages being delivered but there are no phones? Shouldn’t the employees receiving these pkgs be investigated? This is too much of a coincidence.  I did find out however that I can file a complaint with the Attorney General and I will be doing that right now.  This is ridiculous and I’ve been a customer for over 15 years! I am beyond angry 😡 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello DaiLopez, thank you for reaching out about the frustration you have experienced with the trade-ins. We can look closer to ensure you receive all the eligible promotional offers and research the status of the retuned devices. Please reply to the private message that will follow so we can get into account details in private.

-Deb

0 Likes