Verizon Customer Service going downhill - Switching to another provider ASAP
zannieweikel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used to love Verizon for their customer support/service and was so happy with them added everyone in my family on my plan.  My 2 year contract ended a couple of months ago and so I had been considering upgrading my phone and extending with another 2 year contract.  My current phone fell on the floor which smashed the touchscreen, so that escalated my decision.  I ordered a new phone on Thursday, the Verizon web site indicates free overnight delivery for orders over $49 (mine was well over that).  When I got my tracking information, it indicated I wouldn't get my phone until Monday (so much for overnight delivery), but that's fine, but as I work (which is how I pay my phone bill) I wouldn't be home when they delivered, which means I wouldn't be able to get it for yet another day since they require a signature (understandable, these phones are expensive).  So I contacted FedEx and asked them just to hold it at the FedEx location, they indicated Verizon doesn't allow them to do that.  So I contacted Verizon, explained my current phone was broken and that I work during the day and asked them to contact FedEx to have them hold it so I could pick it up there so I could get it faster to replace my broken phone - FedEx requires ID and a signature when you pick it up at their location, so not sure why this should be an issue.  Verizon explained that they have had issues with new customers ordering phones giving phoney addresses then requesting to pick it up at the FedEx location.  Their concern is understandable, but I am NOT a new customer, I have been a customer for over two years, never missed or was late for any payment, was a loyal customer adding lines for my husband and sons, and have picked up verizon phones at the FedEx location previously without issue.  They explained this was their policy and were unbending.  I asked if they were willing to lose a customer just because I wanted to pick my phone up where it would be more convenient?  Yes, they were in fact willing to lose a customer for that.  In addition, since I can't use my broken phone, have no intention of extending my contract (Verizon would rather the phone be returned to them then let me pick it up at FedEx), I wanted to decrease my data package since only my sons would still be on the plan.  They won't let me - I am being forced to pay for more data than I need because until they physically receive the phone back that I will never have, my plan is "pending" and they won't allow me to change my data plan.  My plan is a Share Everything plan, so we share the data regardless of what phones or how many are on the plan, so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to adjust the data level.  Just one more way for Verizon to put the screws to me.  What happened?  Their customer service used to be so good, now they act like to don't give a crap about the customer.  Has anyone else noticed that they only time you receive one of their survey calls is when you have a good experience?  I'm had multiple bad experiences over the last couple of days, and not one opportunity to express that experience.  Seems like they are trying to skew the results.....

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon Customer Service going downhill - Switching to another provider ASAP
Not applicable

The issue could have been resolved by having FedEx deliver it to your job. I have done that many times.

Or you could have had any adult stay at your home until 10:30 AM or 3:00 PM depending on what the noticed said as far as overnight. ( it can be either of those times)

If you order on a week end say after Friday at 6 PM depends on where they are shipping from so unless it was for Saturday Delivery there would be reasonable that next business day (Monday). So no reason to be mad at that.

Additionally, you could have went to a Verizon Wireless Corporate Store and got your stuff the same exact day.

Verizon seems to have shifted in being customer friendly or reasonable. FedEx would have left a tag and it would have been delivered on Tuesday after you signed for it on Monday when you got home. (Left door tag in same place as where FedEx left it)

So again in a haste to get your device you threw a money wrench into Verizon's orderly plansSmiley Happy

I am sure this was not planned to get you to leave their service. However if it is going to trouble you more than you wish it to, I would just walk with my money to a provider who will be more understanding.

Good Luck

Re: Verizon Customer Service going downhill - Switching to another provider ASAP
zannieweikel
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is not an option where I work - they do not accept deliveries that are not business related - the package would never make it past security.  I do not have an adult that would be available to stay at my house - every adult I know that I would feel comfortable to stay at my house works during the day or lives too far away.  I just moved to this area a couple of months ago and don't know my neighbors well enough to ask that of them. Easy enough to say that in hindsight, unfortunately, as I haven't previously had these issues with Verizon (they've always let me pick up at FedEx previously), it didn't occur to me that I would need to go to a store to pick up as I haven't had to do that in the past.  If I had known I would have these issues, I would have gone to a store, though there is not one anywhere near where I live or work, but could have gone out of my way to find one.  Now that it has been shipped, picking up at a store is not an option for another week or so, leaving me without a phone unless I go with another provider.

0 Likes
Not applicable

That is really a shame. So through matter of circumstances this whole process really has been a bummer for you.

In days past as you have said things worked a lot smoother.

There is a pick up at store option available in certain places, however since a corporate store is not near you that also is an inconvenience. I wish I could think of an easier solution.

I wish you the best of luck, I know its a real hassle now for you.

If you do change providers some of them have free phones, and unlimited talk, text and data for around $80 (Sprint)

T-Mobile is paying off early termination fees but alas each device will be full cost spread out over 24 months. They have cheap plans but the coverage may be horrible.

AT&T has devices on the cheap and they do have good coverage, but the unlimited data is no more.

Good Luck

0 Likes
zannieweikel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't need an early termination fee (and not particularly fond with the service with T Mobile from past experience) - the phone is being recalled from FedEx and sent back to Verizon before I ever receive it, so, per Verizon, I'll go back to month to month (my last contract ended in January) once they receive the phone, so fortunately that isn't an issue - hopefully they will keep their word with that.  I'll keep my sons' phones with Verizon until their contracts end as they both end later this year, so won't be too much longer.  My company offers discounts on both Sprint and AT&T in addition to Verizon, so looking into those options.  I wasn't so much upset about the timing of getting the phone as much as I was with the attitudes of the people I spoke with at Verizon.  In the past I always found them wonderful with their customer support - they seemed genuinely concerned that you ended up as a satisfied customer.  That was not the case with the multiple people I spoke with today (it wasn't just one or two people, it was the same with everyone I spoke to) - there is a definite change in culture from what I have experienced in the past with Verizon.  Customer satisfaction doesn't seem to be a concern with them anymore - I think they are getting a little too big for their britches, what do they care if they lose a customer here or there?  It certainly didn't seem to bother them that I was leaving as a result of the customer service I received.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

zannieweikel,

Good afternoon! I am happy to assist you going further. We would be sad to see that you are thinking of leaving. I want to make sure that we can get back on track with you. I can totally understand that you will be at work when the phone will be delivered. But, the great news is if you are not home when the package is dropped off, FedEx will leave a door tag. With the information on where you can call and schedule a pick up at the local FedEx office.

Another thing that I have heard that people can do is leave a note on the door to leave the package. But that is up to the FedEx driver if they will leave the package. I would love to reivew the account for you to see what other options we might has. Can you please accept my request to follow you, and then request to follow me back. I will then accept that request and if you can then send a Direct Message. This way we can go over the account specifics. I hope to hear from you soon.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
zannieweikel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure how scheduling a pick-up later in the week is great news (so

much for the overnight delivery Verizon promises on their website). FedEx

is perfectly willing to hold the package at the local facility on Monday,

which would allow me to get the phone on Monday - it is Verizon that is

preventing them from doing that. The touch screen on my current phone was

smashed, Verizon is well aware of that, so there is a bit of urgency to get

the phone. In addition, leaving a note to have them just leave the package

is also not an option - another requirement of Verizon - Verizon requires a

signature - they do not want $600-700 phones just left on people's porches

(which I can understand). FedEx requires both a photo ID and signature for

pick-up at their facility, so there is no reason why Verizon should not

allow me to pick up the package at FedEx on Monday. Verizon Customer

Service made it very clear to me that they would rather lose me as a

customer than to allow me to receive my phone in a manner that would be

convenient to me in a reasonable amount of time, a manner that FedEx is

capable and willing to do, but that Verizon will not allow.

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
Not applicable

The problem here is Verizon is telling you in essence what I already said.

You could have had it simply via signing the call tag card/door hanger with them coming back and leaving it yes on your porch.

You could not have had next day delivery when you ordered it on a Friday. That would have been Saturday Delivery and FedEx is expensive for that type of service. Overnight in this case would have been the next business day (Monday) which can be by 10:30 AM or 3:00 PM I know the early AM by 8:00 AM would not have been used.

The problem here is like in days past you could have had self pickup after the card is so marked, redelivery, or as I said earlier at time of purchase work delivery (Which you said the company you work for does not allow).

No neighbors that can stay and get the device for you, and you don't want it left on the porch so in essence you are a victim of your own circumstances.

Oh well, Good Luck

0 Likes
zannieweikel
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem here is Verizon is telling you in essence what I already said.

You could have had it simply via signing the call tag card/door hanger with

them coming back and leaving it yes on your porch. - * I couldn't have had

it by Monday using that method, and if my $700 phone is stolen from my

porch, will Verizon provide a new phone? It would be safer and faster to

pick it up at the FedEx location.*

You could not have had next day delivery when you ordered it on a Friday.

That would have been Saturday Delivery and FedEx is expensive for that type

of service. Overnight in this case would have been the next business day

(Monday) which can be by 10:30 AM or 3:00 PM I know the early AM by 8:00 AM

would not have been used. *- At least get your facts straight - I did not

order it on Friday, I ordered it on Thursday. I don't have an issue with

not getting it until Monday - my issue is that Verizon will not allow me to

get it on Monday. The package is at the facility now. I could have picked

it up at lunch today (FedEx location is just down the street from where I

work), but Verizon will not allow me to do that. They would prefer losing

me as a customer rather than allowing me to have my phone today. *

The problem here is like in days past you could have had self pickup after

the card is so marked, redelivery, or as I said earlier at time of purchase

work delivery (Which you said the company you work for does not allow). *-

How does redelivery help when I will AGAIN be at work when they deliver?

And NO - it is not an option to deliver at my workplace, I was clear about

that, so why do you continue to bring it up? Do you REALLY think it is a

good idea to have it delivered and left on my porch all day? Wouldn't it

be more secure to allow me to pick it up at FedEX where they require a

signature and photo ID? Do you mean to tell me that Verizon would prefer

leaving it unattended on my porch all day versus picking it up where they

require a photo ID and signature?*

No neighbors that can stay and get the device for you, and you don't want

it left on the porch so in essence you are a victim of your own

circumstances.* - I am not a victim of my own circumstances - I am a victim

of a large company that doesn't give a crap about customer service or their

customers. FedEx will allow me to pick up at their location - it is

VERIZON that will not allow it. Do you mean to tell me that Verizon would

rather FedEx leave a $700 phone on my porch unattended all day where it

could easily be stolen rather than to allow me to pick it up in a location

requiring photo ID and a signature, so that it is assured not to get

stolen? Wow - your callus attitude amazes me, even for Verizon. *

Oh well, Good Luck *- Typical kind of response I've been getting from

Verizon as of late - number one reason I should find another service

provider. I am certain that Verizon will not miss me as a customer, I am

just a tiny grain of sand in an ocean, but if Verizon's customer service

attitude doesn't improve, that grain of sand will likely turn into much

larger piles and your giant status will slip away before you know it.

Good luck to you!*

Not applicable

Ah Hmm....I am not an employee of Verizon wireless so please save it. Thank You!

You are a victim of your own circumstance BECAUSE the available solutions such as next day delivery ( No cannot do that since I agree it is a risk to leave on your porch all day), Don't want to sign the  CALL TAG and state you will pick it up at the FedEx location as per what the card states on the bottom. But you did not get the card?

Yes I had the day wrong, sorry but in any case it was not placed in time for Overnight Delivery on Friday, and no they will not send Overnight on Saturday and FedEx does not deliver on Sunday so yep Monday was the only day it could have been delivered. (And yep you say you have no issue with that), I am of the opinion if you waited for the call delivery card from FedEx you could have made the pick up at the FedEx location like I have done on many occasions.

You could have just went to the Verizon Store and this may not have occurred at all. Oh I forgot you work constantly but the only solution is going to the facility but the drop off card would have given you the ability to do so. You just did not get one to read and respond.

Again a victim of your own circumstances.

And from me only.....Good Luck