Why is my cell tower signal strength so weak now?
Naplescustomer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Approximately 4 weeks ago the signal strength within my residence suddenly decreased to the point that calls frequently failed in mid conversation or never connected in the first place.  This was after over seven years of absolutely perfect service!  The problem is definitely not an issue with my specific phone since it affects my wife's phone, the phone of any Verizon customer who visits our house, and the phones of neighbors with Verizon service.  I can still use my phone reliably if I stand outside my house.  I've spent hours with Verizon personnel attempting to regain the service I'm still paying for.   After contacting several support personnel, I finally found one who was helpful enough to submit trouble ticket NRB00000978473.  A few days later, on April 24, I received a text message stating "Your reported service issue has been resolved.  Please retry your service".  I did, and absolutely nothing had changed.  The reported service issue was actually not resolved at all.  I responded to the text message (theoretically) letting Verizon know that the problem persisted, but never received any indication that a live person was on the receiving end of my  response.   My most recent phone conversation with Verizon support personnel (while standing outside my house) only resulted in being put on hold for a half hour.  The closest I've come for an explanation for the loss of tower signal came from an employee at the local Verizon store who suggested Verizon may be switching out their tower equipment to move toward 5G service.  I hope that this isn't the actual reason for the sudden drop in signal strength because it would mean that issue is not caused by equipment failure, but but rather a corporate decision.  In other words, not likely to be fixed any time soon.  

284 Replies
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

frauke1, it's always our goal to provide you with the best possible service and we'll be sure to provide you with some answers here. Can you please provide an intersection and city of where you run into issues with your service? 

Verizon Wireless doesn't develop the software on any phone. We may include enhancements but not the kind that are easily going to fix any coverage issues. 

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
frauke1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My zip code is 30220 and am at the intersection of Allen Rd and Bo Bo Banks Rd. which runs nearly parallel and about 1 mile from I85. The Verizon map has this location displayed with excellent signal coverage.

I have 2 phones a S10, Galaxy S7 from work and my spouse has a Note 8.  Over the past 4 or 5 months we noticed that the phone did not ring when calls where received and that is impacting my work as well. We also have issues that the phone won't connect, until you restart it, when calls are placed. 

My sprint hotspot has 5 bars while I'm sitting near it my phone only has 1. 

I have the same issue at work, in Vinnings, which is a prominent suburb near Atlanta. There my phone now continues to default over to wifi calling.

Please dont give me the line of not guaranteeing signals inside structures. ALL OF THESE PLACES HAD A STRONG INTERIOR SIGNAL UNTIL RECENTLY. 

I don't spend $800 on a phone and $200 a month on service per month so I can sit by thr road to make calls. A phone is and appliance and as such has to work in the house.

Arunvijay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi team

i work in downtown hartford, Ct (06183) and  live in rocky hill (06067). verizon is having poorest network service there in both places. I have raised ticket but didnt get any response yet... my speed shows 0.2mbps eventhough i have "premium" data plan

0 Likes
ginger25
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is a very interesting thread.  I am having the same issues as well, only recently.  This thread proves that there is something recent that has changed in the Verizon network causing this.  I am now only able to get one bar at my job, where up until recently I had a full signal with no issues.  This is recent, and nothing has changed about the area, building, my phone, etc.  I have always been impressed with Verizon's service coverage in the past, but it is obvious something has changed in their network and they are not going to acknowledge it.  Even though I've been a verizon customer for 19 years, it looks like it's time to look into other providers.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want our customer to have a working service in there areas. I would feel the same way if this were an issue for me as well. With regard to the area what zip code are you in. Are there others in this area with the same service concerns you've mentioned? JasperM_VZW

0 Likes
teesee824
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah there are a lot of people near the 30220 zip having the exact same issues!  30251 30222 30228 we're all in the same neck of the woods and getting more and more frustrated with Verizon. 

0 Likes
Rick1-2

0 Likes
Tripletresort

I also have trouble getting calls without dropping for years now. Ever since I bought iPhone 8 Plus.  I have called customer service on and off for years with no solution. I have Samsung extend and still drop calls. They blame WiFi  speed.  I live in 49655 area.  Verizon had me try WiFi calling but then it didn't work at all. Then Verizon  blamed my phone which they sold me  I went to Apple and no problems with it. My husband 5s phone with the old cdma doesn't have the problems that I do   They then recommended me to shut off voice and data. Kind of defeats the reason I purchased an iPhone doesn't it. I don't know if after December 2019 if we will have service at all after they cut cdma service. We have been a customer for over 20 years and I am sorry to say that Verizon has gone down hill in service and coverage, can you hear me now is in most of my calls. I use to brag that I had better coverage than all our friends with other providers, but now I wouldn't recommend them. I live 2 miles from tower and can't get service reliably.  I use to get great signal. I see so many posts with people that say the very same thing. This is unacceptable and I hope something gets done. There customer service says they create tickets and will me know what can be done but guess what I never here from them again.   I miss the old days when customers mattered to a company. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, Tripletresort. It's important to have reliable service, so I understand your concern when calls drop. We would be saddened if you left Verizon, so I'm here to help. What is the city and closest intersection to the troubled location? How far do you need to travel before service improves? Please check your private messages for additional troubleshooting.

TracyB_VZW

0 Likes
josephinoz
Enthusiast - Level 2

POOR EXCUSE, poor customer service to claim "5G is around the corner."  That is not likely to change poor technical support or customer service

Jaybizzle10
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here. I paid more for Verizon because their signal was better. Now I get no signal in the same areas. From what I'm reading in the comments here, I assume Verizon fell off and it's time for me to switch to Tmobile for less money and better coverage. I went through the cell tower story issue with Sprint many years ago and now Verizon is singing the same tune. When companies make improvements,  it's supposed to be better for the customers,  not worse. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The last thing we want is to lose you as a customer, Jaybizzle10. I'm sorry you are having issues with your service. I know how important it is to have a working phone. Let's look into this further and get additional information. When did you start experiencing problems with your service? Are you having issues with calls, data or text messages? Also, please provide me with the intersection and city where you are experiencing these problems.

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes
Avengersxtplus
Enthusiast - Level 2

5g will not penetrate homes and buildings as well as 4g period. 5g will have to have twice or three times the towers/beams/repeaters to give the same coverage as 4g when it was performing well. And that's only outdoor coverage with 5g. As it still will not penetrate buildings unless there's and indoor repeater or you run own your WiFi to operate wifi wifi calling and data over WiFi. 

The problem is in fact Verizon is not maintaining, improving and expanding 4g coverage due to rises in population and demand to meet loyal customer needs. This is happening all over the country. ( Read the chats , blogs and posts by customers and cell tower engineers not bound to Verizon's  excuses & false replies. )

Bottom line is that Verizon is spending 18 billion on 5g expansion and that's this year. But it will take two to three years to catch up to the coverages 4g use to provide before the 4g service started fading. And still it ( 5g ) will not penetrate buildings or homes as 4g does or did before the 4g service got overloaded with demand. The other big three of the four providers are expanding the towers/beams/repeaters for 4g and 5g simultaneously while Verizon is only concerned with 5g expansion. And while the 4g service with Verizon continues to fade they bank on disatisfied customers and new customers purchasing the new 5g devices just to get the false hope of receiving better service. ( Which if that is possible it would be two to three years out and still not able to penetrate buildings without the help of wifi and signal extenders.  Not a good marketing strategy Verizon. It's evident when many have had 3 and 4 bar signals for years and then over the last year or two it has dropped to 2 and 1 bar signal bars ( sometimes no service ) in the same locations outdoors. It makes one wonder if Verizon is intentionally turning the 4g signal outputs down on their towers to push the 5g fad. 

Recently I have been testing a free 30 day portable test drive device with T-Mobile. Free Device, 30 days or 30 GB of data. ( Whichever comes first ) T-Mobiles tower is further away yet I get better and more consistent call reception and blazing fast 4g data speeds. Explain that one. 

Also your former CEO that recently retired was for the customers needs and providing optimal Verizon service. 

The new CEO is said to only be concerned with 5g expansion and no expansion or improvement on 4G service for existing loyal customers. 

Rest assured the other companies are improving service and their prices for services and equipment are more affordable & not over the top as Verizon is. 

People don't mind paying a bit more for better service. But your service has gradually become less than optimal . Rather is has become poor to fair including customer service. Trouble tickets and hours on the phone with tech support no longer have any effect on correcting poor service. 

Have a great day. 

Avengersxtplus
Enthusiast - Level 2

And to further answer it's all services . Calls, Data and delayed text. 

Thank you. Sent a previous reply but forgot to include this. 

0 Likes
Hlisa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Us, also.  And in discussing with friends and neighbors in this rural farming community, there is consensus that there has been a significant degradation is signal.

47591, 47597, 47524 zip codes...

I suspect this degradation in quality if signal is the culprit behind "no link to dispatcher" errors on our security system. 

We've been with Verizon for over 15 years. I've had - until the last year - appreciated the coverage and quality of signal across multiple states. However, based upon suggestions in this thread, we will be taking other providers for a test drive.

in this day and age, cell service should be as reliable as electrical service...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to get your connection working the way it should, Hlisa. Tell us, were there any changes in your area before these issues started? Does this happen at certain times of the day?

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes
chawla1234

Same here, 01757 and 01420. Calls take minutes to look for the signal to even start the ring, until I give up, restart the phone and the call rings right away. Phone calls bounce right to voicemail all the time. Texts will not go through, and I receive them delayed by an hour sometimes. Restart my phone and get them in a flood.

This is in zipcodes and addresses that for YEARS had great signal for voice and data. Now months ago, simultaneous with humongous great new 5G rollouts, consistent problems. May have to ditch Verizon Wireless after many many years. I can't afford to be missing calls and texts and restarting my phone every time I need to make a call.

"Can you hear me now?" Been a awhile since anyone had to ask that question, in particular Verizon customers. But I guess it's time again. Feels like 2005 all over again...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Chawla1234, we value your long-standing loyalty, and would never want to lose you as a customer! We're here to help restore your faith in us, and help resolve your service issues. We certainly don't want to think due to our 5G rollout, 4G will no longer be available, as it will. I understand in locations you previously had excellent service in; your service has now become less than stellar. To gain clarity, are others in these locations, also experiencing these service issues? We will need to review the area; please provide the nearest intersection, city, and state where the problem persists. Does the problem persist indoors/outdoors?

ChakiaH_VZW

0 Likes
Avengersxtplus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon , this issue is nationwide in areas that are not within cities with a tower very nearby. And even when in the city adjacent to the Verizon Corporate store in 30458 most people at times get only two signal strength bars and slow data. 

I've been following all blogs, Facebook complaints , Community complaints and the issue is widespread. Not just individuals or one or two areas but large groups of customers and many many many areas nationwide. It seems or is that the power output or tower use has been restricted or cut back. When has Verizon updated or expanded their 4G systems or towers? Or checked output and adjustment and expanded towers to serve more areas and customers? 

I as many others have went from 3 to 4 bar signal strength down to 1 bar and sometimes none. With no obstructions or radio interference in our areas. We are not stupid , some of us are very knowledgeable in technology and radio signals as well as Cellular Technology. Yet there is always and excuse on Verizons end as " Things beyond our control such as obstructions and radio interference " . When Verizon is not going to do anything that is. Which is 99.9 % of the time. The thing is why do these same obstructions and radio interference instances not effect T-Mobile or AT&T services in the same areas when in fact their towers are further away ? And a steady 2 bar signal with them provides for better call and faster data speeds in the same area. 

I'd suggest Verizon step up their services as others are catching up and surpassing your once widespread service. And customers nationwide are taking notice . 

Thank you. Transmitted this message running a Verizon device using a T-Mobile hotspot connection so I wouldn't lose you or the message. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that you get the assistance and the answers that you need. I appreciate your thoughts and your feedback about what you are experiencing. Help me understand, more specifically, what you are experiencing with this. Are you having trouble indoors or outdoors? Is this happening with data, calls, and texts? When did this start? 

NicholeK_VZW

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

What are you talking about? Of course all those potential reasons affect radio signal, so obviously you do not understand how it works. Also, T-mobile and At&t’s forums are also filled with the same exact complaints. 

0 Likes