Why throttle unlimited 3G/4G data users?... Hmmmm, let's seeee.
wildroid

I have been a Verizon customer for almost 8 years and never had a complaint but now I do. I've had unlimited data since I bought the DROID1 and would get online alot but didn't download much or watch videos or listen to music too much cuz frankly it was slow, at least for video. I've never been a data hog and it's not my intention to be one. So now I have a GALAXY NEXUS since the 16th of DEC. Well, through almost the whole billing cycle, which ends on the 13th of each month, I had racked up just over 16GB of data usage. You might say that's alot and it is for those of us who never dreamed of being able to download stuff on your phone within seconds or a couple minutes or stream videos without them stopping to load. That was at first but now I don't get online all the time and don't download as much because I don't wanna be glued to my phone every second of the day but I love having 4G, it's great. Anyway, now when I get online and in particular, when I'm home, I notice that 4G and/or 3G will drop off and not comeback as quickly or when watching a video data will drop from 4G to 3G to 1x. There have been a couple days in my new billing cycle in which had no data connection at all for an our in each of those days. I even called them to find out if there had been a data outage on those particular days but there wasn't. Nothing was mentioned online either. Look I understand that Veriiiizon is saying that they only throttle the top 5% of data users on 3G but they, I think, are doing it to 4G users as well. Yea, there are people tethering whether it's on there plan or by hacking and are using enormous amounts of bandwidth. But for people like me that may download and stream on their phones every now and then, after the fever of first using 4G wears off, it's not fair. Heck, even throttling those that are tethering but tethering because it's on there plan and have unlimited data is unfair. I mean, I have unlimited data and so do those that tether and are abiding by the rules. Why should those of us with unlimited data that are abiding by the rules be throttled when we're paying for what we want and expect?... UNLIMITED DATA! I and I'm sure many others feel angry that we're being throttled for using too much data since we pay so much money to Verizon to have unlimited data just to have them turn around and limit our data anyway. Now to my main reason for this rant, I mean discussion...lol;) I believe that Verizon is throttling unlimited data users because they want us to get so fed up with having our data connection bogged down that we'll opt for the tiered data. That way when we go over our allowance they can charge $10 a pop for every gigabyte we use. You know what? They probably wont throttle us cuz they want us to rack up data so they can make a killing. See with us unlimited data users including those with tethering included in their plans they can't charge more unless we go against the rules and hack the phone to tether and there by giving them the right to change you to a tiered plan if you don't stop after receiving a warning. That's what happened to a friend of mine on ATT who has unlimited data. Oh, and all this I'm discussing now, I bet is ATT's intentions as well. They gave him a warning to stop or they would change him to a tiered plan. See, he did it wrong. He wasn't paying for tether so it was their right to do that. It's not right that those of us that are doing it the right way should be throttled, especially when we're paying tons of money for unlimited data. Come on Verizon. You're doing this on purpose to try and get us unlimited data users to get fed up with being throttled to switch to tiered data and make us pay up the nose once we go over the tiny bit of data allowance you give us. The sad part is that I bet you wouldn't throttle us cuz it's contrary to your goal of making us pay more. I would like to know. For those of you that hadn't kept a close eye on your usage for some reason or another and went over your data allowance. Did you experience data throttling? If you didn't don't you question why they didn't throttle you? If they didn't maybe it's for the very reason I speculated about above. They are more then happy to let you gobble up gobs and gobs of data so that they can lay those hefty charges on you. Something to think about... hmmmmm? Even with all my ranting, I mean discussing;) I've never had a bad experience with Verizon's service in general. I just don't like that I'm probably being ripped off for something that I should be getting. UNLIMITED DATA!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
35 Replies
ebsktball30

I've been using around 9 or 10GB of date for the last several months.  All of sudden about two days ago, my data hit a wall.  I typically get amazing speed on my Droid Bionic 4G, but now I am getting horrific speed while I'm at the end of this billing period.  This is crazy!  Has anyone else every been throttled?  While I think it's pretty cool that I must be in the top 5% of data users nationwide, it still is annoying!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

4G is not throttled....err optimized

0 Likes
MrJames
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why not have corporate integrity to honor a written contract?

Why not provide the service to 3G customers that was contracted?

Why not engineer the data structure to satisfy the requirements of all 3G devices that were sold and contracted before

beginning to develop and sell 4G devices and contracts?

Why not just provide free broadband services to all citizens as as a Constitutional right?  Call Washington D.C. now and demand it!

Verizon may be the next nationalized US corporation.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

they are actually. They have a long standing policy within their terms dating as far back as 1996 about potential throttling. All landline ISP have these too. All colleges do it from the start.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What do you think 4G is and them trying to push everyone on their 4G network?

0 Likes
gigi234
Enthusiast - Level 1

Throttling in a nutshell is SELLING ME A SERVICE VERIZON NEVER INTENDS TO DELIVER wonder how many of us could get away with that? So why are the wirelss services getting away with it?

Wildman
Legend

Actually Throttling is more like a method to keep cost down for customer and network providers...  The level ov technology can cost the company to be able to supply the amount of bandwidth required to supply the growing demand or data users.. 

As more smart devices are sold the heavier the network demand will be to keep customers on the go and also take in consideration the users that use their data connection from a smartphone to supply the connections for their home internet service, with the Torrents, Streaming Video and Movies and File sharing apps that can be used through a pc or laptop it is clear that some restrictions need to put into place to avoid network overload and outages.

Food for thought..

0 Likes
prdparent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any service provided can use this argument for providing sub-standard service.

"We're only filling your fries half-way to keep costs down for our customers"

"But no dealer is putting FOUR tires on cars anymore - too expensive.  This is for your benefit, trust us"

"Your's steak's only half-cooked to help us keep costs down FOR YOU"

"Well of course one's bigger.  We only augmented the left one to help keep costs under control"

Wildman
Legend

The only thing is that I have learned from years of working with clients, no matter how much the company gives the customer always expect more and feel that it is a obligation of the company to give their shirt off their back to make customer happy.

That isnt a wise view of things because the rule that the customer is always right have been modified for years due to this give me all approach...  I am not saying accept being mistreated but expecting a reasonable give and take relationship from customer and company but all I see is give, give, give me from so many users.

Now with that said I have to clearify things for you....    I AM A CUSTOMER ALSO..

MrJames
Enthusiast - Level 2

On Fox News today (3-15-12), there was a story about a legal judgment against AT&T for throttling data speed to a customer who had contracted with AT&T for unlimited data use.     There was a monetary settlement to the customer and AT&T also attempted to get the customer to sign a confidentiality agreement.   The customer refused to sign and forwarded the details of the story to the Associated Press and it was publicized.

Verizon has restricted my my data flow rate on a $60.00 per month modem data device for the last several months based on their claim that I am currently in a congested cell area and all unlimited plan users are subject to a lower data flow rate.  I was told that Verizon has no plan to upgrade the 3G system to relieve the congestion, since they are concentrating on 4G systems.

The Verizon representative was helpful in suggesting that I upgrade to 4G plan since they don't restrict 4G.

Would it be useful to request Verizon to review  the data flow restriction in light of the legal precedent set in the AT&T case?

I think I will ask them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did you really read the transcripts? They won on the basis that they are being throttled at a lower amount than AT&T lower $30 3GB plan. This is why they still throttle and pushed the limit to 3GB. Courts found it legal to do so. As I said earlier there's a difference to unlimited data and unlimited bandwidth. So as you can see throttling is ok as long as you are not being charged for overages.

0 Likes
prdparent
Enthusiast - Level 2

"throttling is ok as long as....."

It's amazing what we will begin to accept as OK when we're told we have no choice.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you think that. You always had a choice to buy a luxury or not. You always have a choice on what you are willing to pay for. It's their choice to charge what they want as well. If you don't agree with their price don't but it. Once i don't agree withthe i am walking away.

0 Likes
Markymarc14

>Post deleted for violating VZW's TOS<

Posting to the Verizon Community

Users of the Verizon Community agree not to upload, post, or otherwise transmit any content (including but not limited to text, links, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information) that includes any of the following inappropriate content:

• Spam, such as advertisements for other web sites and services, or other commercial solicitation; chain letters, or pyramid schemes;

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
wildroid

Thanks budone, Wildman, and Tidbits for your comments and info so far. As for Wildman and Tidbits, I'm glad that you guys have had no problems with your data connections or speed, and I hope it continues that way. I hope I'm wrong about the throttling and that it all does have to do with the 4G/3G handoffs. Nevertheless, if they are throttling I think it should stop. All of us unlimited data and unlimited data/tethering customers should not be penalized for using too much data when the point of having an unlimited data plan is to have no limit. Also, I think it's wrong for Verizon to do it to the 3G only customers as well. They are paying for unlimited data why shouldn't they get it. Us customers who are doing it the right way should not be bunched up (if that's what they're doing) with those that have unlimited data but are hacking their phones/devices to tether and hog up a bunch of data without getting tethering on their plans. Of course, unless my speculation about Verizon trying to get unlimited data customers tired of being throttled to switch to tiered data is found to be true I guess the data handoff issue is the culprit. Now, a question to budone. If the problem is the radios, is it a hardware or software issue? If hardware then I guess we have to talk to Verizon or the manufacturers about replacing the phones, right? If software, is the 4.0.3 update for the GNEX or any updates for other 4G phones suppose to fix the handoff issue or just alleviate most of the problem until the next updates after that actually fixes it? I was also reading that the problem could very well be the SIM cards and their software. I've read on a couple of Android forums that it seems that when the SIM is checking if one's phone is provisioned to be on the 4G and 3G sides of the network it's having trouble with the handoff. Though, I also read that people that were having problems on their 4G phones were given new SIM's and that for some it helped and for others it didn't. In addition, all the people having problems with their 4G phones were told updates would fix the problems. Again some say that the updates did fix the problems and others say they didn't. Is it the SIM or the SIM's software having problems?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The major problem right now with unlimited is semantics.  By definition as long as you are not paying for overages you do in fact have unlimited data.  Unlimited data and unlimited bandwidth are two different things by definition.  The unlimited data plan is just you don't pay more for data than you already are, and the other is what we currently have.  You can use all the bandwidth you want, but you have to pay for the data.  This was the court ruling of 5 different courts starting during 1998.  Arguing semantics in court never works well.  That's a whole different subject altogether. One benefit from these court cases are seen in your terms(Anything related to data was never changed) are that we have diminishing returns on the ETF.

I think it's just hand offs and it has nothing to do with the Sim, or other things.  It's a placebo effect.  When the network went down 3 times 1 out of 3 times I couldn't authenticate and I had to play around with Airplane mode. The other two times I connected without a hitch when the network was up.  Sometimes when I turn my device off I have to play with airplane more to connect.  At some point when Verizon transitions everything and completes the network it will get better as they are planning to go VoLTE+ and dropping the old networks so we'll have 1 scheme.

boutaswell-v-s
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry but there are no semantics in the term "unlimited".  It means what it says and a company should not be allowed to write their own definition to a word like that just so it will enhance their pocketbooks.

Wildman
Legend

You may want to read this and familiarize yourself with the guidelines that was put in place with the contract that you signed with the company....  http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html?sayt=data%20use%20policy*

Here is one of the main points...

ANSWERS: Frequently Asked Questions

• Why are you implementing Network Optimization?
    We are well known for our wireless networks and we are dedicated to ensuring that our customers have the best wireless experience possible.  Our network is a shared resource with tens of millions of customers.  We are implementing Network Optimization practices to ensure that all of our customers have the positive experience they expect.

• Will I be affected by Network Optimization?
    Only a small percent of customers will be affected.  To be affected, you must be:
  • A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
  • Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
  • Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Then, you will only be affected:

• When you are on the 3G network; and
  • When you are connected to a congested cell site.

• How is this different than throttling?

The difference between our Network Optimization practices and throttling is network intelligence.  With throttling, your wireless data speed is reduced for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization is based on the theory that all customers should have the best network possible, and if you’re not causing congestion for others, even if you are using a high amount of data, your connection speed should be as good as possible. So, if you’re in the top 5% of data users, your speed is reduced only when you are connected to a congested cell site. Once you are no longer connected to a congested site, your speed will return to normal. This could mean a matter of seconds or hours, depending on your location and time of day.

DC12
Enthusiast - Level 1

So it is our fault that they cant keep up with network congestion???  I routinely listen to streaming radio while at work through my cell phone and now I can't even do that!!! It's VERY aggravating and considering how much aggravation I go through and how much time I stupidly waste trying to figure out what is wrong. 3G and YES my phone does stop the data connection every day to which I activate airplane mode and then back to normal before data starts working (not limited to 4G if that's what someone was suggesting). I would love to take Verizon to small claims court.

0 Likes
prdparent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wildman - burying it in the fine print doesn't make it right.
Your employer may (or may not) have a LEGAL right to do this, however morality and legality
have vastly different thresholds - for most of us.

What many are saying is that we agreed to purchase an unlimited
high-speed data plan, and when you employer arbitrarily switches us to a LOW
SPEED data plan for the specific purpose of punishing us, that's kinda not
fair.