blocking text messages from email addresses
scififan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have recently been inundated with text messages from email addresses. Of course we cannot block them from our phone since there is no phone number to block. Recently I read about blocking email addresses and domains, and so I went in and for each device checked "block all text messages from email addresses." I click save, but it just puts me back to the same screen - does not confirm if the change goes through.

Today I got yet another text from an email address, and went back in, and the selection I had made was no longer checked. Is anyone else having this problem? What can I do to stop these messages?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
Re: blocking text messages from email addresses
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@scififan1 ,

Spam texts will always find a way to get around blocks and filters, so the best way to handle them is to report and then delete. Blocking will only be effective if it's the same number/email contacting you, and spammers avoid that purposefully. Please check out this page: https://www.verizon.com/support/block-unblock-services-faqs/ , and you'll see #5 shows how to block email addresses, while #10 shows the way to report a text, even if it is an email and not a phone number texting you.

0 Likes
scififan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Respectfully, the reason I posted my question is because item #5 does not work. I check the box to block all texts message from email addresses, and click save, and it does nothing. It does not save it. I also tried blocking a domain, since so far all the messages are coming from gmail addresses, and I got the message that it was unable to block text messages from that domain for my phone.

So, while I appreciate your attempt to help me, I think that someone there at Verizon needs to actually check the advice given on your website, and perhaps test it out?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Allow us to further look into this for you. Please send us a Private Note to continue.

0 Likes
scififan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I sent you a private note and never heard back. Perhaps I did not do it right. How about telling me how exactly to send you a private note? I still need help with this issue. Thanks!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

scififan1, 

We have sent you a Private Note directly. Please respond to that maessage. 

JenelleW_vzw

0 Likes
Map53
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here, and when I called Verizon Customer Service, the rep had never heard of this feature. So I finally talked her through finding it, and told her it didn’t ever stick, or work. She hung up. Verizon throws people out there who don’t know the features they have. This was the second rep I had tried to talk through on this AT&T has a process called Article 446389 that walks their rep through the process to set the email block up for you. May have to check into switching.

scififan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I feel your pain. While searching, I found this exact same issue being discussed a couple of years ago, so apparently no progress has been made in all this time! I did finally get a private message from Verizon, but it said, in effect, "what is the problem you are having?" like they were not even aware of this thread. I replied back but so far, no response.

There was speculation in that thread a couple of years ago that this non-functioning feature was Verizon's way of forcing us to pay for the service. Can't prove it, but it is not a totally unreasonable thought.

ac26xp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also getting pummeled with email addresses being texted to me.
YES or NO... Does Verizon have a feature that allows ANY and ALL email addresses to be blocked through texting?
Again, that's blocking emails that are being texted. Not calls and not number to number texting.
Every customer on this thread knows this annoyance, yet Verizon keeps playing this you can block up to 5 numbers and up to 10 individual email addresses game.
ALL EMAIL ADDESSES ! I don't them "texted" to me. Please provide this security service as part of every plan.
Thank you

StephenPaulJo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a brand new customer to Verizon and am considering cancelling my plan due to this problem.  I am being inundated with inappropriate text messages from lewdly-named email addresses. The texts follow the same pattern: They are always from an email address and always include 20 other email addresses.  Verizon, you have IT experts in-house.  You can find the source of this problem and fix it.

As a customer of Verizon competitors for years I never had this problem.   Unless it is fixed timely, I will go to another carrier and will bring everyone I can with me.

I will monitor this string for any answers.

Finally, Verizon support staff, please check out these texts sometime and consider whether you would like your children receiving these texts (at all hours of the day and night) and intentionally or inadvertently clicking on any of them. 

Do the right thing, Verizon. Help. Us.