is there an option for current customers?
manhattanproj
Enthusiast - Level 2

is there an option for current customers to keep their current plan when upgrading device after june 28? currently i have a family share plan with no data. when i upgrade, can i keep my current plan and add the $30 data or will i be forced into the hideous shared plan?

someone from another post said this:

You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone

can anyone confirm? the catch is i don't have data in my current plan. wonder if verizon will force to the new craptastic tiered data plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: is there an option for current customers?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Considering that snippet is from Verizon's Share Everything Plan site, I'd think that's correct.  They'll still have the current individual line tiered plans (2GB for $30, 5GB for $50 and 10GB for $80) for those who don't want to switch to the Share Everything plans.

0 Likes
manhattanproj
Enthusiast - Level 2

with verizon, it's always a bit sketchy, so it's hard to say. hello, grandfathered unlimited users.

since i don't have data currently, technically, i'm not on the current tiered plan. so after june 28, verizon may say, well sorry, you'll have to move to the new share plan.

wonder where i can get a final word on that?

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

Any idea if you're forced off a grandfathered plan if that voids your contract by forcing you into a contract you didn't sign on to?  technically, they're changing the terms of the contract you signed at that point. 

0 Likes
klpete09

I have spoken to VZW 3x today, and the final answer is you are either required to move to one of these plans when you "upgrade" your phone, or leave it as is and pay FULL PRICE for your next phone.  That $200 iphone you have had your eye on will now cost you $650 if you want to keep your unlimited data.  I currently pay $64/month for 450 minutes, 200 text messages, and unlimited data.  I called and I was SOOOOOOOO MAD, but I was nice on the phone, and after 4 hours, I had an answer.  If I move to the new plan (yup, losing my unlimited data, and will be relegated to the 1GB/month), I will be charged $90/month, but that does not take into consideration my employee discount I currently receive.  With that discount, my cost goes to $66+tax.  So while in dollars and sense it sounds good, that is only if/when I stay under 1 GB data.  The second I go over, I pay $10 for the next GB. 

I requested an early upgrade (I am due 8/15/12), otherwise I am gone.  I am sure the answer will be no, but that is OK.  10 years with them is not enough to keep me, especially if they won't bend. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you can't be forced off the grandfathered plan unless you sign a new contract. once you sign the new contract, the old one is void.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you should be able to upgrade on 8/15 and just select the individual data plan of 2gb for $30. from the wording, it appears that all of the current individual plans (except for unlimited) will still be offered. you will lose unlimited, but have 2 gb and get the discounted phone for exactly what you pay per month now.

0 Likes
klpete09

I really hope that is the case. 

0 Likes
manhattanproj
Enthusiast - Level 2

that's the case if you want to keep your unlimited data. pretty much for unlimited data users, you'll have to upgrade now or buy your own after june 28, if you want to keep it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

manhattanproj,

If you upgrade after June 28th and receive a discount on the new device you can either switch to one of the new Share Everything plan or you can keep your current calling plan and add one of the tiered data plans to the line  starting at $30 for 2GB. Visit http://bit.ly/LhyDt7 for more information regarding the new Shared Everything plans and http://bit.ly/JLsd3I for information on our tiered data plans. ^JB

0 Likes