k1m Ringtone Help Needed!!!
Blue_Oval_Baby
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried EVERYTHING that was suggested here to get ringtones to my Motorola k1m, with no luck.  If I send the tone to my phone via e-mail (#@vzwpiz.com), it comes through and it plays.  However, the only save option is Save Sound.  It saves it to my sounds, where it can't be used as a ringtone.  If I send it from there, same thing.  I have tried sending it to PixPlace, and get an error message that the file exceeds 22050.  If I drag it to my memory card, it's not recognized. 

Please note that I've tried MP3 files that were 75 and 84KB in size.  I also tried it with .wav files, but they were significantly larger.  Since these are short (3-5 sec.) voice clips, there's no way I can make them smaller.  

Is there anyone who can help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: k1m Ringtone Help Needed!!!
Blue_Oval_Baby
Enthusiast - Level 2

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!! It's a tad complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, you will be able to do it blindfolded. Good luck!!! I found this at Barnharts.net (thanks!), andthere are other k1m tips there, as well.

How to move ringtones from your computer to your phoneNote: USB Driver must be installed
Note: Motorola Software Update Program must be installed {no third party links please}
Note: P2KCommander must be installed {no third party links please}
Note: Try to do this only one time. You will have to reset ringtone assignments each time.

Start the Motorola Software Update (MSU) Program
Use the USB cable that came with phone and plug the phone into the computer's USB port
Wait for MSU to detect the phone and display the phone's ESN
Leave MSU open through the rest of this process
Start P2KCommander (click OK if a pop-up box shows up)
Ignore any error messages in the lower left window of P2KCommander
Select “/a P2k Phone system” at the top of the right column
Click the Re-Read button
A box will pop up telling you it's ok to do other things. Ignore it and be patient.
When the phone has been read, you'll see a single directory called “a” on the right side
Double-click “a”
Double-click “motorola”
Double-click “shared”
Double-click “ringtone”
Navigate the left side to where your ringtones are on your computer
Select the ringtones you want to copy on the left side and then click the Copy button at bottom right
Click OK for each ringtone as it copies
Click the Re-Read button
For each new ringtone on the right side, select it and click the Attributes button at bottom right
Make sure that “Readonly, cannot overwrite/delete” is checked
Make sure that “System, survive Master reset/clear” is checked
Click OK and repeat for each new ringtone on the right side
When finished, navigate back up the right side directory structure until you see MyToneDB.DB
Delete MyToneDB.DB (located in a:smileyhappy:
Close P2KCommander and then close Motorola Software Update
Unplug the phone
Turn the phone off and back on

Message Edited by WendyM on 07-04-2009 08:42 PM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2
I believe on Motos the options is "set as". My co-worker has a moto and thats what he has to do
0 Likes
Blue_Oval_Baby
Enthusiast - Level 2
Mine doesn't have Set As under Options.  It has: Play Again, Forward, Erase, Save Sound, Save Quick Text, Lock, Add To Contacts and Message Info.  Also, only the .wav files I send will play.  The MP3s will not, even though my phone has an MP3 player.  See why I'm confused?
0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

Do you have the ability to change the format of the ringtone to say an m4a or aac format?

I just looked at the users guide, and it offers little help, i tried searching it for set as and ring tone, and the only thing I found was pertaining to ringtone. I will paste it below:

" Note: Your music player includes a special
playlist named ringtones. You can’t rename this
playlist. Songs added to this playlist are not
visible in other categories (for example, Genres)
in the music player. The ringtones playlist initially
contains ringtones that are preloaded on your
phone. You can still edit this playlist, just like
any other playlist, to add or remove new
ringtones that you purchase."

0 Likes
Blue_Oval_Baby
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for your efforts, Carm.  It seems that only ringtones I purchase can be used.  I don't consider that fair, as the ringtones I have are all freesource.  Although... I was able to use ringtones that were sent to me from other Verizon phones.  Crazy...
0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

Blue_Oval_Baby wrote:
Thanks for your efforts, Carm.  It seems that only ringtones I purchase can be used.  I don't consider that fair, as the ringtones I have are all freesource.  Although... I was able to use ringtones that were sent to me from other Verizon phones.  Crazy...
NP
I am surprised for whatever reason that phone won't save them VZW phones had this capability for a few years now. U know I was just tinking. Make sure there is no copy protection or mp3 tags in the files. I found the later could have an effect on things.
0 Likes
Blue_Oval_Baby
Enthusiast - Level 2

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!! It's a tad complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, you will be able to do it blindfolded. Good luck!!! I found this at Barnharts.net (thanks!), andthere are other k1m tips there, as well.

How to move ringtones from your computer to your phoneNote: USB Driver must be installed
Note: Motorola Software Update Program must be installed {no third party links please}
Note: P2KCommander must be installed {no third party links please}
Note: Try to do this only one time. You will have to reset ringtone assignments each time.

Start the Motorola Software Update (MSU) Program
Use the USB cable that came with phone and plug the phone into the computer's USB port
Wait for MSU to detect the phone and display the phone's ESN
Leave MSU open through the rest of this process
Start P2KCommander (click OK if a pop-up box shows up)
Ignore any error messages in the lower left window of P2KCommander
Select “/a P2k Phone system” at the top of the right column
Click the Re-Read button
A box will pop up telling you it's ok to do other things. Ignore it and be patient.
When the phone has been read, you'll see a single directory called “a” on the right side
Double-click “a”
Double-click “motorola”
Double-click “shared”
Double-click “ringtone”
Navigate the left side to where your ringtones are on your computer
Select the ringtones you want to copy on the left side and then click the Copy button at bottom right
Click OK for each ringtone as it copies
Click the Re-Read button
For each new ringtone on the right side, select it and click the Attributes button at bottom right
Make sure that “Readonly, cannot overwrite/delete” is checked
Make sure that “System, survive Master reset/clear” is checked
Click OK and repeat for each new ringtone on the right side
When finished, navigate back up the right side directory structure until you see MyToneDB.DB
Delete MyToneDB.DB (located in a:smileyhappy:
Close P2KCommander and then close Motorola Software Update
Unplug the phone
Turn the phone off and back on

Message Edited by WendyM on 07-04-2009 08:42 PM
0 Likes