Re: protect against phone number porting
mama23dogs
Legend

@myrness wrote:

Becuause of the increasing power of our cellphones as two factor authorizations, it would be a great idea for cell phone companies to send out urgent alerts to emails and apps, etc if a number is ported.  So that we can know the moment it is done and work to undo it.  (Though I realize it is less likely with a secure pin.)  Since I receive so many other notifications and alerts, this should not be difficult.  Thank you!

There is some iffy info in this thread.

Per FCC rules, to port a number to another carrier, it needs to be active (non suspended or canceled), you need to provide phone number, account number and security PIN code and photo ID.   The PIN should be unique, not your SS number.  

AT&T recently started 2 factor authentication on its accounts.  It’s not working well, and it has gaps.  In my opinion, which doesn’t count, there needs to be another check/balance.  It does not prevent port out.  

I ported a number from AT&T to Verizon and IMMEDIATELY got an email telling me the number was no longer associated with my AT&T account. 

Unless the FCC adds new requirements to port numbers, carriers must port with the correct information.  The new carrier should do due diligence to verify ID.