After Lollipop, native email app won't connect on WiFi
goldberguscj
Enthusiast - Level 2

After upgrading to Lollipop today (OTA, 23C), one bug has shown itself.

Using the native email app (not the Gmail app, but the native email app that LG/Verizon provides), I cannot download email. I have several Gmail accounts setup on the app, a GMX account, and a Hotmail/Outlook account.

If I turnoff WiFi, everything works fine over 4G.

Is this related to the "bug" that is being discussed with Hangouts/SMS not working correctly with WiFi?

Interestingly, if I have WiFi off, turn ON Airplane Mode, then turn on WiFI -- email works over Wifi. But, if I then turn Airplane mode OFF -- the issue returns.

Obviously, there are workarounds ... but this seems like a fairly clear issue related to some type of networking conflict between the 4G and Wifi radios.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: After Lollipop, native email app won't connect on WiFi
goldberguscj
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE: On a hunch ... as everything else was working with WiFi, I moved my email accounts from the native email app to the Gmail app. Everything works fine on WiFi (and 4G) with the Gmail app. So the issue seems to be specifically with the native email app. Just for troubleshooting purposes, I deleted and then tried to recreate accounts on the native app as well -- and could not even connect to the server via 4G. So, there is something amiss with the "native" app. If I had to guess, Lollipop does not support that app and wants users to use the Gmail app.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I can see how that would be troubling! You have a lot of email addresses tied into that app.  Have you tried deleting and re-adding that particular wifi network on the phone? http://spr.ly/65834vU1
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
goldberguscj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I already "forgot" the network and added back the network. One of the first things I tried. The issue seems fairly widespread:

VS985 Lollipop BUGS - Pg. 16 | Verizon LG G3 | XDA Forums

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/32j3cg/bugs_so_far_in_23c_ota_from_verizon/

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/32izto/wifi_problems/

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/32je5c/for_anyone_having_wifi_issues_after_lollipop_see/

VZW Lollipop WiFi Notification Fix (Root) : LGG3

Here is what I just wrote to another tech on Facbook:

When WiFi is turned on, using the native email app (not Gmail, etc.), refreshing an account leads to a "updating" circle for 5-7 minutes, which then timesout with a "server temporarily not reachable" message. If I turn off WiFi, email works as expected. The issue, I believe, is a software conflict where some apps are not being "told" to use WiFi. This can be proven in the following way: When WiFi is off, I turn Airplane mode on. Then with Airplane mode on, I turn WiFi on -- email works as expected. While WiFi is still on, I turn Airplane mode off, the issue returns.

Many others are noting the same type of issue with Google Hangouts and other network intensive apps. Some have also suggested that some of these apps may choke when they don't find an IPv6 connection (which is available on LTE, but not most WiFi networks yet).

The bottom line is -- when on WiFi, the email app cannot find the servers to any of my accounts. So it is not a question of what is being downloaded or uploaded, the app does not know "how to find" the WiFi connection because it thinks it should use the 4G connection. The handoff from 4G to WiFi is broken

0 Likes
krusej23
Contributor - Level 1

It has to due with the wifi syncing issue that Verizon didn't care about. They pushed out the update to everyone while knowing that there was this big wifi syncing bug. They knew about it weeks ago and submitted it to LG but still pushed out the update over OTA because they will get more money from you using their 4g or 3g instead of you using wifi. Don't put your phone into safe mode either because that will wipe out your widgets, default keyboard, and default sms app.

0 Likes
goldberguscj
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a post from http://forum.xda-developers.com/.../vs985-lollipop.../page16 .... "It would appear that the IPv6 explanation is correct. I tested this last night (it was late), and this AM when I got into the office.

I enabled IPv6 on my router, and set it up (Charter is my ISP and is IPv6 capable). Rebooted router and phone, confirmed that my public IP was an IPv6 one, which it was, then started sending emails from my work email to my Gmail account. Notifications came through right away (well about 10-15 seconds).

At work we have a similar setup (same brand router and ISP). IPv6 was disabled. As soon as my phone connected, I tested emailing work to Gmail. No notification. I waited 15 minutes, and still nothing. The emails were there, confirmed via web browser. Manual sync on phone for Gmail pulled them. Logged into the router and setup IPv6. Rebooted router and phone. Sent multiple work to Gmail emails, and notifications came through in about 10 seconds. I was also receiving other emails (Best Buy, etc) too and getting notifications right away from Gmail.

I apologize if this has been explain/tested already, I thought I would share my findings from 2 completely different locations. It is unacceptable that LG/Verizon would let this out as the OTA, as a regular user (not very techy) should not have to root their phone or enable/disable IPv6 settings in their router."

Therefore, would you please confirm that this is a known issue that LG/Verizon are working on before I start mucking around with a device that is work related and mission critical? Thanks.

0 Likes
goldberguscj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also ... If you look at the follow up posts at the XDA forum, you will see at least one individual resolved the issue by enabling IPv6 on his home network. This will not work for me because I use OpenDNS as a security tool, and they do not fully support IPv6 yet, and it is not clear to me that my ISP has full IPv6 support (I believe it is a 6to4 tunnel, not native IPv6).

0 Likes
goldberguscj
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE: On a hunch ... as everything else was working with WiFi, I moved my email accounts from the native email app to the Gmail app. Everything works fine on WiFi (and 4G) with the Gmail app. So the issue seems to be specifically with the native email app. Just for troubleshooting purposes, I deleted and then tried to recreate accounts on the native app as well -- and could not even connect to the server via 4G. So, there is something amiss with the "native" app. If I had to guess, Lollipop does not support that app and wants users to use the Gmail app.

0 Likes
Stonesander
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this same problem, but enabling IPv6 did not work for me. I've verified I have full native IPv6 support on my router and phone.

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

My wife and I both have the LG G3 and I found an interesting workaround for the stock email app.  We were having the same issues but even the Gmail app would not accept our email accounts without providing the same server error message.  I verified with non-lollipop devices that it was not my router and I tried all the other fixes found via Google and other email apps out there with no luck.  So, I got to thinking since my non-lollipop devices did not have the issue.  I decided to use Networking 101 to troubleshoot the issue.  I downloaded a Ping app and attempted to ping both the incoming and outgoing server...and wouldn't you know I had no packets dropped.  I decided to enter the IP address instead of the server name for the email server .... BAM ... 2 seconds later I was able to get emails without any server errors.  Did the same trick to my wife's phone and it worked like a champ, as well.  Seems to me the stock app (or all email apps) are having an issue with connecting to a sever name instead of the actual IP address.  Hope this helps any others that may be having this issue and do not want to use Gmail for your email app (I like them to be separate).

Snn5
Legend

The Lollipop version of the stock app is the first time I have ever liked a stock email app.  (though I never had issues with the new stock app personally)

0 Likes