Droid 4 - Cannot reset, camera locks
SidFishes

The camera app locks up when I try to take a picture. I press the shutter button and it turns blue on-click, but then never releases and takes the picture. I followed Dr. Google's advice and deleted the last few pictures. It worked for one picture and then started locking up again, so I cleared all of the photos off of my phone. The camera still locks up every single time I try to take a picture. There is tons of internal storage left on the phone.

My next step would be resetting the phone to factory defaults, but when I do that I get the "shutting down" message but it never shuts down. Never. I force reboot and try again. Again, it never gets past the "shutting down" message, doesn't clear the phone, and I force reboot to a phone that still doesn't have a working camera app.

FFS. I've had it barely a year and the camera hasn't been working for months.

Advice?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid 4 - Cannot reset, camera locks
Bigfatdan
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may have better luck over on the android discussion board.  This is the Apple Iphone 5s board.  Try here:  https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/droid

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Rather than setting to factory defaults (and that didn't seem to work anyway!) try a system cache clear...

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

It won't erase any settings or information on the phone, but it may help the camera glitchiness.  If it doesn't, and you are still under warranty, you can get it replaced, as long as there is no other physical damage to the phone.

0 Likes
SidFishes

What worked: new microSD card.

After clearing the system cache, I used the alternate method to do a hard reset and chose the more aggressive of the two options given. That wiped everything but the camera app still didn't work.

Replacing the microSD card was my answer though, which was great new to me because the phone is one week out of warranty but nearly a year from being eligible for an upgrade.

0 Likes