Re: Ellipsis 7 Android Version 4.4.2. Background data restricted and won't play videos
bhabony

Under "APPS" my only menu items are sort by size, sort by date, reset app preferences, and multiple uninstall. Under "DATA USAGE" my only menu items are auto-sync date (which is checked) and show wi-fi usage.

0 Likes
Re: Ellipsis 7 Android Version 4.4.2.  Background data restricted and won't play videos
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you provide screenshots of those sections of the Settings so we can see what you see? I don't have that tablet, but visuals go a long way to figuring out the differences between your device and mine or another community member's device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Ellipsis 7 Android Version 4.4.2. Background data restricted and won't play videos
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As the rep indicated, when you go to Data Usage and tap Menu, there should be an option to Restrict Background Data and when it's restricted, you should see a triangle in the notification bar.

Since the option isn't there for whatever reason, their suggestion that you:

Settings> App Manager> All> Settings> Clear Data

doesn't involve the Menu button.  When you go to Settings and then Apps, you should see a list of apps with the word Downloaded at the top.  Scroll the screen to the left and you should then see another list of apps with the word Running at the top.  Slide the screen left once more and you should see All at the top.  Scroll down to Settings and tap it.  Tap Clear Data.  Then tap the back button at the bottom left and scroll up to Google Play Store.  Tap it, then tap Clear Data.

0 Likes
bhabony

now I am getting these when I tap play store. After following your directions.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The "restrict background data" might also be only available after one sets a data limit for the cellular usage.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bhabony

I currently have all set data limits off

0 Likes
Re: Ellipsis 7 Android Version 4.4.2.  Background data restricted and won't play videos
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have the data limits off then that might explain why you don't have the option to control background data usage.

0 Likes
JEFFBRODER

I'm having the same problem with my tablet...Ellipsis 7.  I had the exact same comments as you in that I didn't have the menu items everyone kept telling you to click on.  I finally found the 'Background Data Restriction' choice by going one more step.  Click on 'Settings', Click on "Data Usage", below the graph of your data usage there are all the apps that are using data for the cycle, Click on "Google Play Store", then click on the 3 dots (menu button) in the upper right corner.  That is where I found 'Restrict backgound data" with the box to click on. 

Now, it IS 6 months since this chain got going and you've probably either gotten it fixed or gave up, but just to let you know, this didn't fix MY problem.  I hope you got yours fixed.  Good Luck!

0 Likes