HTC One M8 is unable to create new email or reply to received emails (Exchange Mail account), getting "Unfortunately, Mail has stopped" error message. Verizon when are you going to fix this problem?
MQMJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

HTC One forums are talking about this problem, as is AT&T.  As of Feb 17th, I am persistently unable to reply to received email or create/send new email with my Exchange Mail account.  Deleted account, reestablished account, rebooted phone...all failed to resolve the problem.  Error message states, "Unfortunately, Mail has stopped."  Verizon, please help ASAP...unsatisfied customers are being impacted negatively.

Labels (2)
Re: HTC One M8 is unable to create new email or reply to received emails (Exchange Mail account), getting "Unfortunately, Mail has stopped" error message. Verizon when are you going to fix this problem?
BlueHeron
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had the same issues for several days after an auto update.  Tried Recovery boot, wiping cache partition etc - no use. Do not waste your time on that.

Found a solution on the ATT forum.  The updated mail app for HTC conflicts with the latest update of Android Webview.  Simply uninstalling Android Webview, which is easily done in the play store, fixed the Problem. 

For my purposes I don't think webview is important.  If I find out it it is, or if it auto updates and renews this problem frequently my next plan is to simply switch to a different mail app.    But for now just uninstalling Webview was easier than loading several email accounts into Gmail.

If HTC fixes this conflict that would be nice too. 

Re: HTC One M8 is unable to create new email or reply to received emails (Exchange Mail account), getting "Unfortunately, Mail has stopped" error message.  Verizon when are you going to fix this problem?
BlueHeron
Enthusiast - Level 1

Only three days - and Android Webview updated - so Mail again gave me -"Unfortunately, Mail has stopped."

I just uninstalled Android Webview again - that takes about 10 seconds once you remember how. 

So Mail is functioning again. 

I will have to see how often Webview reinstalles itself to decide whether to switch to a different mail client.

To be clear this problem is NOT a Verizon issue.

It is an HTC Mail and Google Android Webview (latest update) conflict.  

The discussion thread on the ATT board is long.  so it is not an isolated issue, but just came up with the Webview update about a week ago.  So doesn;t seem well known yet.

Hopefully HTC will update their Mail app so that it plays nice with Webview.  

Hopefully soon. 

Re: HTC One M8 is unable to create new email or reply to received emails (Exchange Mail account), getting "Unfortunately, Mail has stopped" error message.  Verizon when are you going to fix this problem?
Eric-MD_
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, Blue.  Good fix.

0 Likes
RayScott3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing happened about this time last year, and rolling back Webview fixed it then. Just rolled mine back again and sent an email. I am not set to auto-update, so previously I waited a few weeks for HTC to find a fix and then let Webview back in. No problems with it until recently.

0 Likes
Re: HTC One M8 is unable to create new email or reply to received emails (Exchange Mail account), getting "Unfortunately, Mail has stopped" error message. Verizon when are you going to fix this problem?
SJUncleDave
Enthusiast - Level 2

Email app update available which correct this issue for me when using latest WebView.

0 Likes