Hotspot
Chinchillified
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the new plan, Verizon offers a personal hotspot.  What is that?  Why would my phone need to be turned into a hotspot as I understand it to be, just for me to access data?  If if does turn into a hotspot, wouldn't everybody using it be suckling up my data?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hotspot
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You can use your phone as a hotspot to allow other devices you own or allow to use your data. You don't have to use it and no one can use it unless you give them the wifi password to connect to it.

View solution in original post

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You can use your phone as a hotspot to allow other devices you own or allow to use your data. You don't have to use it and no one can use it unless you give them the wifi password to connect to it.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The hotspot your phone creates is named by you, and passworded by you, so only those who know the password and name would be able to access it.

I've used the hotspot to get internet access on my laptop when I otherwise would not have it.  My parents are elderly, do not have a computer or any other internet access, however I do get a good Verizon signal at their home.  When I visit, I use my phones hotspot and my laptop's wifi to go online as needed.

I build websites, and I was visiting a client at a location that did not have internet, and I was able to use my phone's hotspot and my computer to login and edit their website via FTP.

Those are a couple of examples of how the hotspot has been useful to me.  You may not have a need for it.  I do and it just gives me more options.

Chinchillified
Enthusiast - Level 2

I already have that option on my Samsung Note.  Is it cheaper in the long run to have my phone be a hotspot for 4 phones, or for each phone to use its own data?  I don't know whether hotspots get charged per use or just for each device hooked up to it.

0 Likes
Chinchillified
Enthusiast - Level 2

So what is the difference between mobile data & hotspot?

0 Likes
mA-I-lliW
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mobile data is specific to your device and hot spot relates to if you use another device for data or share data with others by giving them your access password.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Chinchillified wrote:

I already have that option on my Samsung Note.  Is it cheaper in the long run to have my phone be a hotspot for 4 phones, or for each phone to use its own data?  I don't know whether hotspots get charged per use or just for each device hooked up to it.

The phones on your plan all pull from the same shared data pool, whether it's through their own mobile data or your phone's hotspot.  The same data is being used, so there's no point to those devices using your hotspot.

The hotspot creates a wifi connection, but the data that passes through is your mobile data.  The hotspot allows other devices NOT on your plan to use the wifi and thus share your mobile data without actually being a device on your account.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure your concerns are addressed. Are all of your devices currently on a shared data plan?
KKleoLVZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Adamc2

Hot spot is all most wifi using mobile phone.data is used during on phone

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes