How Do I Connect Moto Z To My Computer?
runkia84
Enthusiast - Level 1

The phone does not come with a cable to connect to computer, so I purchased separately a USB-c to USB-a cable.

When I connect to computer it recognizes the phone is there, but thinks the phone is locked which is not.

I have tried all USB drives on 2 computers, same thing. I want to drag and drop music and games from my computer to my phone like I did with my motorola Maxx. Why can't I do this? Very frustrating.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to connect Moto Z to computer
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the wall charger not two pieces?  In other words, you should be able to unplug the cable from the part that plugs into the wall socket; then the cable can be plugged into your computer.

With the Marshmallow operating system, the default USB mode is charge only.  Whenever you connect the phone and computer via the USB cable, you'll have to pull down the notification shade, tap where it says USB Charging, and change the USB mode to File Transfer.  See if this helps:

Move Pictures/Videos from Device - Moto Z Droid Edition / Force | Verizon Wireless

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the wall charger not two pieces?  In other words, you should be able to unplug the cable from the part that plugs into the wall socket; then the cable can be plugged into your computer.

With the Marshmallow operating system, the default USB mode is charge only.  Whenever you connect the phone and computer via the USB cable, you'll have to pull down the notification shade, tap where it says USB Charging, and change the USB mode to File Transfer.  See if this helps:

Move Pictures/Videos from Device - Moto Z Droid Edition / Force | Verizon Wireless

runkia84
Enthusiast - Level 1

No the cable supplied is permanently fixed to the power adapter, which is unfortunate, but probably by design so that you are forced to buy a new cable.

Your attachment was the correct answer, when you connect to the computer, on the phone you have to tell it what you want to do with the USB device, I clicked file transfer and it looks like its going to let me proceed.

0 Likes