How do I calibrate the compass on my Galaxy S7 Edge?
DRYNN
Enthusiast - Level 2

In all non-Verizon versions of this phone there is a service menu where you can calibrate all of your sensors including the compass.  Unfortunately the Verizon model has disabled this feature.  Is there some other (non-third-party software) way to calibrate the compass?  Mine is currently off by about 25 degrees which can make navigation a headache.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I calibrate the compass on my Galaxy S7 Edge?
DRYNN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Samsung did not block this feature, Verizon did.  I'll just return the phone and get a new one that doesn't have a jacked up compass.  That way I receive a properly functioning device and Verizon fixes the problem they created.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried looking in the Play Store for a third party option?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DRYNN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154 wrote:

Have you tried looking in the Play Store for a third party option?

Is there some other (non-third-party software) way to calibrate the compass?

0 Likes
DRYNN
Enthusiast - Level 2

To expand:

I shouldn't need to download extra garbage to make my phone work the way it was originally designed to work just because Verizon doesn't want me to see under the hood.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello DRYNN

I know how important it is to have accurate directions. Are you using a third party compass application? How were you able to measure the current calibration?

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DRYNN
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used the built in navigation (google maps) to align the orientation to north, then compared those results with two separate known-good physical compasses.

Samsung has also packaged in a sidebar compass tool which reveals the same result.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Appreciate you following up with us, Drynn. Your best bet will be to use a third party app to help with re-calibrating your phone's compass for GPS support. You may also want to reach out to Samsung support for additional assistance/recommendations.

http://spr.ly/6584BLn9Q

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DRYNN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Samsung did not block this feature, Verizon did.  I'll just return the phone and get a new one that doesn't have a jacked up compass.  That way I receive a properly functioning device and Verizon fixes the problem they created.

0 Likes