How do I stop ringless voicemail
Mycque
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been getting voicemail spam without a prior ring. I have already been on the "Do Not Call List" and have signed up again. I have also complained to the  FCC

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I stop ringless voicemail
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you already blocking the numbers through your phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mycque-

As a consumer myself, I know how frustrating receiving unwanted calls can be. Blocking those numbers from your phone directly is the best way to go as Ann154 suggested. You may also block unwanted calls through your My Verizon https://vz.to/1DwWaQm

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SCOLAW16
Enthusiast - Level 1

Blocking numbers does not fix this problem, because every time they call, they use a different spoofed phone number. even if you blocked 100 numbers in a row, you would still get the ringless voicemail on the 101st call. Blocking individual numbers does not work.

I have installed an app that blocks any number that is *not* in my address book. That works for "regular" telemarketer calls, but it also does *not* work for ringless voicemail calls, the ringless calls still get through and leave spam messages on my voicemail, even with the call blocker in place.

We need a real solution to this problem..

thank you,

Scot

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how frustrating it can be to get spoofed calls Scolaw16. I get them myself. There is no way we can control on who calls you. I know it can be annoying and my best suggestion is to block the numbers on your phone. Sign in here: https://login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login?realm=vzw&goto=https%3A%2F%2Fmyvpostpay.verizonw...  The alternative option would be to change your number. I would not recommend that because you may still get spoofed calls. You can also add your number to the do not call list here: https://www.donotcall.gov/ I hope this helps.  

Amber_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SCOLAW16
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you Amber.

At least we now know:

1. block the number of the spammer: doesn't work.

2. change your number: doesn't work.

3. Add your number to the "do not call list": doesn't work.

4. Install a call blocking app: doesn't work for ringless voicemail spam.

So the current answer to "how do I stop ringless voicemail"? is: you cant stop it.

Hopefully people are out there, somewhere, working on the problem..

thanks,

Scot

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for getting back to us SCOLAW16. Please know that we always take your feedback very seriously. When there is an issue that impacts our customers, we are always working on it. I know that we have provided you with the options currently available for all wireless customers. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Rosanne_VZW

0 Likes
MichelleM1

Blocking phone #'s does'nt stop the ringless voicmail, as an employee you should probably know that. This is on going issue, for years.

0 Likes
Mikus29
Enthusiast - Level 1

The phone companies don't want you to be able to stop them. They could easily identify or allow us to prevent calls from going direct to voicemail without our phones ringing. But that would cut a profit pathway out of their revenue streams.

The only solution would be a public outcry forcing FCC regulators to require phone companies to give another " *xx " type of control over our lines. 

xJohnnyOx
Enthusiast - Level 1

You hit the nail on the head!!!!  If they wanted to really stop it, they could.  This identifying spam calls, and it does flash on your phone that way, then putting them into voice mail is worse than just letting you ignore the call.  Once it is in the voice mail, you then have to take at least two actions to get rid of each one.  It appears their spam protection solutions are just lip service at best, and at worst a coordinated effort to let the robo callers into your phone to maximize the Telcom's profits.  I mean, at least 5 times a day I get a PPP loan offer, 2 time a day I get a warranty for my car offer, once every two days someone wants to buy my house.  Egad, and when I ask my congressman to make federal law, they give me the Glib "use the Federal Do not call registry" (even though I have enacted that years ago and it doesn't do S***).  If I were king of the Telcom Industry, I would require anyone using a phone number spoofing device to be registered, and that registration  to tagged into the caller ID info of every call placed.  Then let the spam filters, through documented rejections of the spoofed calls, build a filter to weed out those registration numbers that get black listed as robo-calls.  The technology is there to easily iimplement such a solution, but like you stated, the Telecoms appear to have a financial incentive to allow robocalls to pester their customers.

0 Likes