Re: Just don't understand how the G2 gets Lollipop before the G3
Razo_SE
Enthusiast - Level 3

That statement is inaccurate at best.  Yes LG manufactures the hardware and applies the flavor of Android best suited to the device based on the available releases from Google.  Then they "skin" that version of Android with whatever features and / or bloatware they feel gives the customer the most LG type of experience.  THEN the cell providers [read: Verizon] get their hands on it and tweak and adjust the OS on the phone even further to suit their needs / desires.  It does all start with LG but they are by no means completely responsible for what ends up in a Verizon customer's hands.  It's the same with all handset manufacturers.  They give them to the big providers and hopefully they don't ruin the "stock" experience.  LG already released their version of the Lollipop code.  If they had not then how did AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile get their hands on it???? This delay rests solely at the feet of Verizon (under which we are all made to squirm).

Tidbits
Legend

Wrong... carriers don't touch the code. Been proven countless times. The manufacturer does all the coding and any "carrier" modifications are within manufacturers willing to do list of modifications which they charge carriers for.

Razo_SE
Enthusiast - Level 3

So you mean to tell me every time the carriers find a bug in the code or an issue during testing they have to submit a "bug report" to the manufacturer and then pay to get it fixed??!!  And where do you get "been proven countless times"? 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Look at HTC schedule, look at Motorola schedule, and look at Sony schedule. The Sony AOSP project with Google showed carriers didn't touch the code. Shoot JBQ(old Google Android Project Leader) during the whole Galaxy Nexus on Verizon even said they didn't touch the code but he hated the fact he had to go through the approval process.  So all these people are wrong? The fan sites don't bother with this because they know they got click bait.

Bloatware only takes a few hours to troubleshoot and gets updated on the fly. The carriers don't even make it themselves. Like NFL Mobile for example. I worked for the company that wrote that app for the NFL for the Verizon/NFL deal.  If there was a problem we'd update it via the play store and not during an update for a phone.

Each manufacturer has different teams for each device/carrier. Some teams are faster than others. That even varies by manufacturers times are finished.

derek412
Enthusiast - Level 2

From what i've heard, early versions of Lollipop have been a mess on some carriers anyway, so i'm glad Verizon waited personally. Best to get a version with the bugs ironed out.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It will still have bugs. It's  a fundamental code problem with Lollipop. Manufacturers will never fix this. Google will and did with 5.1. Since 5.0 Google said there are problems with the code and their next major release will address those issues. Manufacturers didn't wait because of the public pressure. So now people will have to wait for 5.1 for it to be fixed. People will blame the carriers for this anyway. They'll forever be in a catch 22.

0 Likes
matty046
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want my lollipop!!

ingrids
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a G2 user who is VERY unhappy with Lollipop, I would gladly defer G3 owners to go first next time.  Lollipop broke my Play Store, Play Music, Google Maps, AND YouTube.  Yes, I cannot even get onto Play Store to update or download anything.

Chesky
Enthusiast - Level 2

While what you are saying might have been true with apps like NFL, in reality it can't be true because Verizon also modifies core things like stock text messaging app, which is not just an installed app, but the main problem here is that the fact that other providers have released lollipop already makes it very clear that Verizon is the one holding it back, in fact I called up LG and they said that it's solely depend on Verizon when to release the update, and this is a real shame...

Tidbits
Legend

They do not...  Manufacturers already said carriers touch NO CODE.  Motorola, HTC, Google, and Sony already went on record... 

0 Likes