Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 9,229 Members online 270K Discussions 44K Solutions
LG V20 Suddenly Has Connection Fluctuations
csr19us

My almost-new V20 has suddenly started losing and changing tower signals all the time. One minute, it will have a pretty good LTE lock, but then it will randomly drop to 3G (if I'm lucky), and sometimes just drops altogether. I am missing lots of calls (goes straight to VM like I have it turned off), and many calls drop a lot... forget HD quality.

When I first got this phone, it was working great... always a strong 4G/LTE lock.

I've tried the entire troubleshooting gamut... Verizon's troubleshooting tool, many factory resets, cache wipes, SIM and SD card re-seats, battery pulls, LG software/update utility on the PC w/USB cable (the 90 minute repair process), etc. EVERYTHING... for three days effort now.

I've completely exhausted everything that I, as a tech-savvy IT guy, know how to do.

My suspicion is now settling on that I have a hardware failure or SIM card needing replaced???

I had to have a shop change my screen since it cracked several weeks ago, so I doubt the warranty is still valid (or is it)? By the way, it was working fine after the repair for a couple of weeks at least; so I highly doubt that is related to this.

Can I change my SIM card at least, to try that, first? Seems easy enough a thing to try.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

csr19us, I'm glad to hear that your device's screen was repaired. However, if the screen was not repaired by the device manufacturer's authorized technicians or through the Asurion wireless insurance provider (When filing a claim), this would void the device's equipment warranty. Ensuring that your device works at all times is our goal and we'll do everything we can to get it working for you. We appreciate the troubleshooting you've already done for your device.  I've noted that you will visit a store replace your device's SIM Card to help resolve its service issues. We'd like to save you a trip to a store. 

RobertC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
50 Replies
M00X

Any actual update to this? I know this post is old but im hoping for some shred of light. My V20 started having the same problem within the recent weeks, and honesty, it seems to be getting worse and worse. I'm an IT professional as well and I've gone through all the troubleshooting i can think of: factory resets, network resets, new sim card, I ran verizons "health check" (which is no help at all) the devices self tests came up clean as well. The connection "reset" happens about every time i send or receive a text message as well. Any help would be much appreciated from the OP or anyone, im a hair away from going back to a flip phone.

Anyways, cheers!

-M00X

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We undertand the seriousness of your concerns and want to make sure we get a resolution. Do you know if your device is still under warranty? We would love to continue to find a resolution. Please reach out to us on facebook at facebook.com/verizon so that we can continue to look at other options. 

0 Likes
SparkleElly

I am having the same problem. For a few days it seem to pick up a signal and then it started dropping. I thought it was the area we were in but my husband got the new iPhone the same day and he would have a full signal and I would have 3g or nothing. What was your final resolution?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important to have reliable service, SparkleElly. So far LG has not identified a known issue with this device. Have you had a chance to work with tech support to troubleshoot the service issue as well? If so, what steps have you been able to complete? There was a software update released to address a signal issue recently. Please go to Settings>System Updates>Check For New Syttem Update. Is your phone up to date?

LaurenC_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CURLYQ42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its been happening for a few months. The last update I did to my phone was in early may. I have deleted any new apps that I've downloaded. My zip code is 12020

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are not giving up, CURLYQ42. Can you please run a device health check and see if there are red flags showing? Please click here: http://spr.ly/65848s1dg

ChrisM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CURLYQ42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did that, no change

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CurlyQ42, let’s take a deeper look into your signal concerns. Since this has been happening, have you powered your phone off, taken the SIM Card out for at least 1-2 minutes and then put SIM Card back in and power the phone on again? Since this issue has been happening, have there been any other steps  that you have tried to get the device going? (We want to make sure we don’t repeat the steps.)

TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CURLYQ42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having the same issue.... Has anyone got any type of answer.... My other phones have never had this problem.... I can have my moms phone (Samsung s7) and my phone next to each other and she has better service where I have little to none. Please help!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CURLYQ42, your service experience is essential to us. What is not working on your phone? When did this start? Does this happen indoors, outdoors, or both?

JoelR_VZW

0 Likes
CURLYQ42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am losing calls or have no service. I will be on phone and pull out of my driveway and drop a call. Or I could be walking in to my house and drop a call. My phone has 4g then no service. Last week I was at a concert, standing in the same spot and I would have service then would have nothing. I had to restart my phone 8 times to get service every time. I would send one text message then it would drop service. Is this my phone? Or my service. I hate being at home and having to call someone back so I can switch to airplane mode and work off Wi-Fi. Why am I paying for service? This happens both inside and outside and has been happening for a few months now

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Losing calls and having no service is not the experience we want you to have with us CurlyQ42. How long have you had issues with service in and outside your home? Any recent updates to your phone or new applications? What is your zip code so that we can take a look at the area. 

KinquanaH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Trh1108

Please keep us updated if new phone works better.  If it does ill send mine back as in under warranty as well.

0 Likes
csr19us

Almost had it for 24 hours now, and so far, so good, actually. I even took

the latest firmware update OTA, and still working as it should. Then again,

my previous V20 worked just fine for the first couple months of ownership,

as well. I'll note that the replacement was a certified like-new device;

but it looks brand new. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with switching

carriers... time will tell.

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Trh1108 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
cst602

Hello,

Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors--I am sending this message via my wonderful​ V20.

I created a VZ forum account so I can chime in about this issue. As multiple users have reported, this phone has serious reception issues. The new firmware update pushed out from Verizon did not fix the issue. Like other users, I have the same exact issue.One minute I have LTE , the next minute 1x (rarely 3G). Missing phone calls is now a regular occurrence.

I have done all the network changes, SIM card replacement , but I refuse to perform a factory reset. Some my ask why? Well, I consider my self an intelligent and rational person. I have read many reports on many forums about V20 owners on Verizon, ATT , T-Mobile, etc..., That have tried the same troubleshooting and have not yielded a change or modulation with this issue.

As this issue has occurred across multiple carries, multiple locations,etc....In my opinion this is more of a hardware issue or base firmware issue.

The carriers can't​ fix this issue. How could they? All they can do is provide troubleshooting  and if necessary, replace the device with a refurbished unit.

As one member noted the only real action that will bring "change" is switching to another device. For some that may be moving to another carrier or picking up a second phone.

As I just moved from T-MOBILE to VZ, and stuck in a 2-year reimbursement for my T-MOBILE device, I will stay with VZ. In my case the cheapest option is to aquire a unlocked phone (Nexus, Pixel, Moto, etc..) and used the V20 what it excels at , taking pictures.

Note: If you chose to pick up a unlocked phone (new or used), make sure you get a device that is CDMA compatible.

On a funny note, my experience with LG has made me consider Apple in the distance future. At least when Apple has an issue, they do not leave the carrier and the consumer handing. No more LG for me (I am done with Samsung).

Good luck.

0 Likes
csr19us

A Verizon rep (Erica) contacted me yesterday and offered to send me a

replacement under warranty due to manufacturer defect. I am pleased that

they are willing to try; because I was very close to switching over to

T-Mobile. We will have to see if this replacement fixes the issue, or

whether it will start having problems again in the near future.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

csr19us,

I'm happy to know that you were able to get assistance with replacing you device. We want everything to be smooth sailing from here. We're here for you when you need us. Do you have any additional questions or concerns? If not, you can find great info at http://vz.to/1s96X1K.

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupportIf my response answered your  question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response.  This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance  for your help with this!

0 Likes
Trh1108

It would be nice if LG and Verizon would step up for long time customers and help get them out of these awful phones LG put out.  I dont want to switch carriers either since ive been with Verizon close to 20 years or maybe more but if thats the only way I can get rid of this useless paper weight of a phone I might have to.  Both my wife and I get nice discounts thru our employers for other carriers so it might be time to shop around and see what else is out there.

0 Likes
Trh1108

The v20 is just a garbage phone.  I have had these same reception problems since day 1.  I can sit next to my wife who has the Note 5 and she will have 3 or 4 bars and I'm lucky to have 1.  A lot of calls to me go straight to VM like my phone is off.  I have tried all the different settings like Verizon suggests and nothing works.  Verizon and LG should have some sort of trade in program for these phones as LG just missed it on this phone.  If only Samsung didn't have issues with Note 7 I would be a happy camper.  Never had a problem with any Samsung phone ive had but to get out of this LG V20 would cost me way to much so I'm just stuck with a [removed] phone until I pay off enough to get rid of it.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
csr19us

I would like to disagree with you, but I can't. The V20 looks great, and is

an overall GREAT "device," but it is nearly useless as a cellular phone.

When I first got it, it was flawless, but became this way almost overnight

for no apparent reason. My case is mostly similar to yours, except my 4G

will often drop out right as I try to use some data (even if it has 3-4

bars), it will just "reset" (or something) to 3G. I constantly miss phone

calls. I have to resort to wifi-calling, which also sucks (and isn't what I

PAY for). I agree... Verizon and LG need to figure something out, because

this seems to be not unusual. I even had a phone repair place tell me that

there was some kind of class-action lawsuit, but haven't looked into

that... YET.

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Trh1108 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes