LG V30 Screen Protector Issues
mesly33

Has anyone else had issues with the "Curved Glass Protector" sold by Verizon for the LG V30?  I purchased the LG V30 and the screen protector together, on Sunday. On Tuesday, the screen protector just popped off while the phone was laying face-up on the table. Took it back to the Verizon Store on Wednesday and the manager was kind enough to put another one on (this is a non-returnable/non-warranty item). I watched him put it on and he did everything correctly (cleaning the glass, using the installation template, removing the air bubbles, etc.).  Less than two hours later, the new screen protector "popped" off (little popping noise and all!).

The biggest problem that I see is that the glue to hold the protector in place is only around the edges and there doesn't appear to be enough surface coverage to hold it in place. This is partly due to the curved nature of the screen.

Bottom line, this product has a design defect and while it wasn't a ton of money, I would never have bought it knowing that it won't stay on the phone. I can't even get a refund due to it being a non-returnable item.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG V30 Screen Protector Issues
stef7
Master - Level 2

I'd chat, email, or phone LG:

LG Chat & Email | LG U.S.A

LG Telephone | LG U.S.A

Have you considered a non-glass, thin-film protector? I presume the protector is mainly to prevent scratches to the screen? If I get an LG V30, I'm putting a thin-film protector on the screen, and placing the unit in a Silicone/TPU case.

0 Likes
mesly33

Since the V30 is so new, I am unaware of what else is available. Verizon only had one type of screen protector available (at least at the store I was at). I'll have to see if I can find the product you are referring to - it does sound like what I am looking for.  Thank you.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

One word: Amazon

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

ZAGG might also have something.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
BAKA77

Good luck, the options for these curved screen phones are all pretty much garbage.  You basically have two options, though.

1) Tempered Glass - Because of the curved screen, the developers don't apply adhesive to the entire screen like they used to do for flat screen phones.  This means you will inevitably get a thin air layer between the screen & protector that will effectively reduce your touchscreen sensitivity.  Be prepared for the things to pop off easily & also require much more firm presses.

2) Wet Application Urethane Film - These will grip the phone screen much more securely and have some self-healing functionality, but I have found they always come with a super annoying draw back.  There is a rubbery feeling to the protector that makes swiping somewhat difficult.  I also personally find them kind of messy to install.

The big Chinese manufacturers (who make this Verizon one & all the clones you see on Amazon in the same factories) didn't bother developing a PET dry application flim for curved screens.  I guess they figured a screen protector that doesn't suck but only covers 95% of the screen isn't as marketable as a full coverage protector, no matter how garbage they are.  Sigh.

0 Likes