MyVerizon draining battery
Ellenj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got involuntarially upgraded to a different insurance plan including Digital secure for $2 more a month. 

Today my battery dropped to 66% in 4 hours! Never does this. 15% of battery use was MyVerizon app. 

Is this normal?

If so, it's going to be uninstalled. I have a security app that does the same monitoring without the drain

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: MyVerizon draining battery
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ellenj, we can definitely help check on the insurance plan with you and make sure that everything is in order as well as the usage for your device. So we can begin, please send us a Private Note.

JoseL_VZW *Jose

0 Likes
Ellenj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found the solution. 

When you "upgraded" my insurance coverage without asking, you enabled the Digital Secure App.  It was basically continuously scanning my phone.  Every time I opened an app or a file, it would scan.  

I don't care it if scans once nightly, BUT this continuous scanning just ate the battery.  

I turned off everything in the digital secure and now my battery is back to normal.  When I have time I will experiment to see if I can get just a once-a-day scan.  

0 Likes
Me346

I was involuntarily upgraded too! I was never asked for permission, I certainly never gave permission but I started getting the upcharges plus I now have to constantly deal with this new situation with the battery drain from the Digital Secure app. I have to keep force stopping/disabling an app I didn't ask for but am being charged for. It's making my phone unusable.

So what happens if I or other customers who've been involuntarily upgraded reach for our phones in an emergency & it's dead because of this wonky app we're being obligated to pay for? Did Verizon think this through?

0 Likes
Ellenj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Me346

The good news is that I was able to to onto my account and find a different insurance plan.  Still more than my original $11 per month, but less than the new plan.  And, it does not include the bleeping app.  It also doesn't include the TechSupport app - but since I've never used it, no big loss.  

Log on to your account - I had much better luck on the computer than on the Verizon app on my phone (which just went around in circles and crashed).  

This is the link to the comparison chart. It only took me 15 minutes to find it again.    https://scache.vzw.com/content/dam/support/pdf/Consumer-Comp-Chart-7-22-21.pdf

I went with the Total Equipment Coverage, as I've had my phone for 4 years, and it includes post warranty product failures.  Having barely survived the Boot Loop crash on my LGG4, I want that covered.  (I had to resurrect and use my Droid 2 for a month).  

Actually adding that means going to Account, Add-ons, Overview, Scroll to the bottom and select the box with Protection & Security.  It should let you pick the plan you want.  It took them a month to change it.  

I also reset my Digital secure to scan only, once a week.  It's not eating my battery, but it is a memory hog.  I have another security app that I've had for years.  

Good Luck!

0 Likes