Nexus 6
LolGanked
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like Verizon is going to carry the Nexus 6.

The question I have is:

Will we be able to buy the phone from Google Play?

Will the phone be crippled with all the Verizon bloatware?

Will we be able to update the OS through Google or will we be stuck waiting on Verizon to issue the new versions 3 or 4 months after the fact like on every other phone?

I am hoping I will not have to rely on Verizon for software updates and be able to buy it from Google Play directly like all the other carriers will. I have decided to wait on the Nexus 6 rather than get the Note 4.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nexus 6
dstack1776
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right now the only thing known for certain is the Nexus 6 will be available from Verizon (via the Google Play pre-order page). Monday I asked VZW customer support about whether or not there'd be a 64GB version available. However at that point they could not confirm anything about the Nexus 6. You can see the same on twitter.

So you will absolutely be able to buy the phone from Google Play. However, on CDMA networks (i.e. Sprint and Verizon) the Wireless provider needs to authorize the individual phone via IEMI number. My best guess is Verizon will begin performing such authorizations once they start selling the Nexus 6 themselves (which Google has confirmed they will but Verizon has been mum on that).  The date the Nexus becomes available from Verizon is unknown.

The OS update will not be via Google but via Verizon. It is worth noting that Motorola updates through Verizon have been happening very promptly.

0 Likes
firesafetybear
Contributor - Level 3

1. Yes, you should be able to do so. There are two versions of the phone. International the the other being US, which contains all of the radios for every carrier.

2. The phone will not be crippled with bloatware. It will offer a stock experience that the Nexus is known for.

3. Now when it comes to updates, it might suffer a short lag because of Verizon's certification process. We can only hope for the best and that being it will offer day 1 OS updates.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It should be the same time regardless. Since there is no CDMA and GSM versions they ALL have to go through the same Qualcomm approval process. It will give the effect everything was released at the same time. See Apple as an example.

0 Likes
firesafetybear
Contributor - Level 3

I understand that, but Verizon is very strict with their rules. See - Galaxy Nexus. That was a nightmare.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Google dropped support and they agreed with the rules. Also there was 5 versions of that phone. 3 of them weren't updated in a timely matter. Google was just as much to blame for that one, but of course Google can do no evil right?

I was the FIRST person to point out how Google could never treat the Nexus the same as others inn these very forums. Just the fact that CDMA requires additional testing from Qualcomm makes them already different.

This time it's different because Google can hide it because it's all the same device and the devices can't be updated without Qualcomm signed APK let alone Sprint and Verizon signed APK for CDMA.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Case in point the Nexus 5. All of them were updated at the same time. That included Sprint. Google has to delay the update until they get Sprint CDMA testing done.

So if there is a delay no one will see it because all the devices have to wait.

Nexus677

My question now that the nexus 6 is available on google play when will it be coming to Verizon?

0 Likes