Re: Nexus Accessories available at Verizon even if the Nexus isn't
AZSALUKI
Legend

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204770404577081610232043208.html#ixzz1fldgQ3yq

you have to subsrcie to read the article. but the quote is as follows:

Verizon isn't preloading Google Wallet on the phone, but won't prevent users from downloading it from Google's app store as long as it gets cleared, a person familiar with the matter said. 

"We're working to provide expanded services that will provide the best security and user experience in the market around m-commerce," Verizon Wireless spokesman Jeffrey Nelson said. "We expect to provide access to an open wallet when those goals are achieved."

take it as you wish.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
But if you read the whole transcript. Verizon miffed on a lot of things. They do block apps in the Android Market and they want a commercial(last statement) deal for Google Wallet
0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Honestly, I can't understand why people get so worked up over Google Wallet.  Don't smart phones come with enough vulnerabilities and back doors that you wouldn't need a wide open front door with a welcome mat that says, here's my checking account, you're welcome?

We read more every week about how insecure smartphones are, and yes Apple fans, the iPhones as well, The more you make it easy to spend your money, the more you make your money easy to steal.

Be careful what you wish for.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

re4ee wrote:

Honestly, I can't understand why people get so worked up over Google Wallet.  Don't smart phones come with enough vulnerabilities and back doors that you wouldn't need a wide open front door with a welcome mat that says, here's my checking account, you're welcome?

We read more every week about how insecure smartphones are, and yes Apple fans, the iPhones as well, The more you make it easy to spend your money, the more you make your money easy to steal.

while i agree.....i think most of the people are more upset about the principle of this. i would bet that many that are complaining wouldn't even use wallet. however, it shouldn't be blocked or inaccessible IF it is part of the nexus. i think people just want a truly pure nexus device, so that they can choose what or what not to use on it. 

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

AZSALUKI wrote:

re4ee wrote:

while i agree.....i think most of the people are more upset about the principle of this. i would bet that many that are complaining wouldn't even use wallet. however, it shouldn't be blocked or inaccessible IF it is part of the nexus. i think people just want a truly pure nexus device, so that they can choose what or what not to use on it. 

Exactly.  Let me decide if Google Wallet is something I want to try.  This just brings back memories of crippled bluetooth and disabled GPS radios, both of which I've experienced on Verizon.  I'm about 3 years past my past real "upgrade" and was looking forward to the Nexus to get current.  Why the Nexus?  Because of the "pure" Google experience and support from Google.  If VZW seems intent on being a middleman on everything, I don't know if I am going to really get a Nexus "experience" with the Galaxy.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
That's the deal... They CAN chose what and what not. All Nexus devices have bloatware including the Nexus One. The hardware will more than likely be the same except for radio. It can be ported over just like the Nexus S. With the unlockable/relockable bootloader you can do what you want when you want. If you are complaining about it now what has changed? This was going on LONG before Verizon decided to run with the Nexus. If people cared about the "principle" of things they complaints would have started with the Nexus One.
0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:
That's the deal... They CAN chose what and what not. All Nexus devices have bloatware including the Nexus One. The hardware will more than likely be the same except for radio. It can be ported over just like the Nexus S. With the unlockable/relockable bootloader you can do what you want when you want. If you are complaining about it now what has changed? This was going on LONG before Verizon decided to run with the Nexus. If people cared about the "principle" of things they complaints would have started with the Nexus One.

What bloatware are you referring to?  Certainly not carrier bloatware.  Are you referring to Google's apps?  I think that having Google apps still qualify as a "pure Google experience", by definition.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
... Amazon MP3, Twitter, Facebook and I believe 2 others for the Nexus One. If you owned and played with the Nexus S there was Sprint bloatware on it as well as the GSM had their own bloatware as well. I own them and ran with them.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
So by everyone's definition of a pure Google experience device. Google have yet to make one themselves.
0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I'll admit that my memory is bad, but I don't remember anything that I consider bloatware on the Nexus S.  I don't feel like doing a factory data reset on the phone just to see the original apps.  I had the GSM version; I remember seeing Sprint apps on their version and thought that it was weird.

0 Likes