No voicemail notifications or call forwarding
Bill978
Enthusiast - Level 2

Motorola One Action
Model: XT2013-4
Android 10, kernel 4.14.113-user+, build QSBS30.121-12-12-10
Verizon prepaid, 5GB/month

This phone with this service does not display voicemail notifications. Out of the box without any other apps, no notifications are displayed when a voicemail is waiting. In case it was the phone itself, I replaced it and then new unit has the same problem.

In an attempt to get around the problem, setting up third-party voicemail apps such as Google Voice result in the error "Call forwarding function is not allowed while roaming". This occurred with another app and also when setting up call forwarding by itself (for the sake of testing). Needless to say, I am not roaming when trying to use these apps and features.

The one thing not tested is whether using an annual plan rather than prepaid would enable the nonfunctioning apps/features. As you might guess, I am a very light data user. Tripling my monthly cost is not a reasonable solution.

(Previously posted as a reply to an identical problem here: https://community.verizon.com/t5/Android-General/Call-Forwarding-Not-Working-on-Moto-One-Action/m-p/...)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No voicemail notifications or call forwarding
Bill978
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem fixed through chat with service rep. A "reset" of the account enabled voicemail notifications

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Visual voicemail isn't available for Android phones on a prepaid account.

Did you setup the voicemail by dialing *86 from your phone? If so, please confirm if you have ever gotten the tape reel symbol in the notification bar at the top of the screen? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Bill978
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for replying.

Voicemail (VM) as such is working. The problem is that I do not get any notifications. Callers can leave a message, I can access the message, listen, delete, etc. but no notifications that a message exists. I have to guess and call VM to see if there are any messages.

I realize that Visual VM is not available on my plan. I was trying to set up third-party apps to work around the lack of notifications problem. However, this was thwarted the by the "you can't call forward while roaming (but I'm not roaming)" problem.

0 Likes
Bill978
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem fixed through chat with service rep. A "reset" of the account enabled voicemail notifications

0 Likes