Not able to Download Apps anymore.....
chicagoastro

Can't Download Apps anymore....

For about three weeks now, I have not been able to download apps from the market or any other site.

I am able to scroll through the apps or scan the code, but when I click the install, I get this following message every single time:

"Sorry....

The Application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again.

- Force close -"

No matter how many time I attempt to install, on different apps at different times of the day, I get the same annoying message.

Now, perhaps something I downloaded in the past is interfering with new app downloads.....I dunno.

Any ideas on how to correct this please...?

Thanks.

Astro Joe 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Not able to Download Apps anymore.....
Tidbits
Legend

Tap Menu --> tap settings --> tap application --> scroll until you see market and tap it --> tap force stop, then tap clear cache.

That should fix your problem.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

If the above does not work, also turn off the phone & remove the battery for a little bit. Put it back in and turn on the phone

0 Likes
chicagoastro

Hi Tidbits,

I did the following:

Menu / tap settings / tap applications / tap manage applications /

Scrolled until market, (v. 1713 - 3.15mb) - tapped it..

Forced stopped it...

Tapped "clear cache"

Returned to the market and attempted to download a app...

Same condition with the same message.

( I thought this would do it...alas....no. But now will remove the battery while I make myself a sandwich.)

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If thegreatones response doesn't help then:

If you have uninstall updates button on the same screen try that and power cycle your phone.  Once that is complete open market and it should tell you to reupdate.  update and see if that works.

0 Likes
chicagoastro

Nada.

Same condition.

Sigh.

Also looked for a "Uninstall Updates", but couldn't find one.  

All I got is the "Uninstall" button.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There should be an uninstall updates button.  Sometimes for example when I had my Nexus One I had a problem with my market all I needed to do was the above steps and always have worked for me.  Sorry I can't be of much help to you :smileysad:

0 Likes
chicagoastro

It's cool and thank you.

Perhaps there is a simple solution that will be posted.

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel your pain!  I had a very similar situation with my LG Ally last week.  Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, I couldn't update any apps (it would literally be downloading for HOURS), and I couldn't install any new apps either.  I performed the whole shut down/restart thing; pulled the battery; even did the factory reset more times than I can count, and I still kept getting an error message.  (Can't remember exactly what the message was; something to do with google and "the process" stopping unexpectedly).  Finally called Verizon customer support - they did what they could (which was very little - surprise, surprise).  They said they could replace the phone, but suggested that I call LG support first, which I did.  LG was even more useless.  Called Verizon again, they transferred me to tech support.  Tech support was unfamiliar with the error message I was receiving, but they were more than helpful in getting me a replacement phone. 

Now, I have a couple of things to say about Verizon support.  Despite the constant complaining I hear on these forums about Verizon, I have NEVER had a problem with them - EVER.  I have been a Verizon customer forever - it is the only wireless provider I have ever had.  They have never been anything other than helpful and pleasant, no matter what I called about - my plan, my phone, whatever.  When I called last week about this current issue, the people I talked to were professional, helpful, and nothing less than courteous even though I'm sure I was not the nicest person at the time.  The last tech that I talked to on Wednesday evening at almost 11pm, was very apologetic about my particular problem, and even kicked in free overnight shipping so I would have my phone before the holiday weekend.  He didn't have to do that, but that my friends, is the definition of Customer Service.

But I digress.......

My recommendation, Chicagoastro, is to call customer service and see what they can do for you.  At worst, they will do nothing and you are screwed.  At best, they just may send you a replacement phone.  NOTE:  I did not receive a "new" Ally, but a replacement - bare bones, no charger, no battery, no back, no SD card.  I didn't care one bit.  It works, and that is all that matters.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

"if you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning...."

0 Likes
chicagoastro

Hey...I'm back in business!

I had to call Verizon support and I got a very nice Rep in Boise Idaho.

We went thru some procedures, (Battery removal, phone update/phone activation), and none worked.

She said then to re-set the phone, but back up my stuff.  I did and we re-set the phone back to factory defaults.

And after close to an hour on the land line phone....we got it back to accepting downloads.

So the solution here in this case - was to reset the phone back to factory specs.

(I did lose all my apps, but ok...easy enough to download them all again and on a fresh phone now.

Thank you to those who offered solutions to my problem.

Astro Joe

0 Likes