Ok, let's think down the road a bit...
jleebiker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let's say it's Dec 31 or Jan 01. GN has been released. People have their handsets. The forums are burning up with posts from people about this or that not working. The first batch of patches are en route to handsets. 

 

What is the roadmap to release ICS (or its variant) to all the older Droid handests? Anyone want to speculate? Will people be rooting and booting left and right to load the most vanilla experience they can and get their handsets clear of their carrier's bloatware?

 

Anyone want to look in their crystal ball and make a prediction?

 

(Hoping this gives people something to discuss other than the ad naseum "Where is the GN already???" threads.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
38 Replies
Wildman
Legend

First this, you wont be seeing ICS on very many if any older devices.... 

 

Now as for this GN, I am guessing you meant GB for Gingerbread, under most issues I have seen has been coming from old NON-GB compatible that users do not care to stop using, until the developer updates for the new OS they should be removed. 

 

One easy way to know if the app is compatible after GB, if you go to market and can't find the app with GB installed, the market does not show incompatible apps with the installed OS.

 

Now I notice you list a Xoom and unless things change ICS wont work on the Xoom because the platform is different..  It is possible with some code changes but at this moment it probably wont be for your device anyway.

0 Likes
budone
Legend
I took GN as Galaxy. NEXUS
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
:smileyvery-happy:
budone wrote:
I took GN as Galaxy. NEXUS

:smileysurprised: Oh...  I didn't think of that, its getting to the point that so many are referencing a device by 2 letters, between that and the OS being abbreviated I am having trouble keeping up with what means what..  :smileyvery-happy:

 

My mistake...

 


droidsw wrote:
"Everyone" looking forward to the Nexus like they were the Thunderbolt and Bionic? Then, what? The big letdown.

Up until about 6 months ago, I couldn't have imagined NOT being interested in the Nexus, or whatever next "latest and greatest" is coming soon from Android.

Not anymore.

ICS might change that, but for some reason (bloat, OEM skins, bad apps, etc.), I doubt it. Not interested in rooting and I just noticed that word wasn't edited in the OP's
post, whatever that means.

I agree, I really don't see what the big deal is with the Nexus anyway, it don't seem to have anything really different from all the others, the Bionic was a flop and the razr did not have to be out long before users started complaining about the battery life and the manufacture rumors of a new revised version of the phone...

 

Can someone get up close to all the ones all hyped over this phone and scream "HAVEN'T YOU LEARNED AFTER SEEING THE IPHONE?" , they are just selling you the same hardware labeled as something different.

 

So many complained for the iPhone for so long and the deveice was released and sales was not major and the one that did buy them mostly returned them..  I give it a week or two and another device will hit that would be next big crave and the Nexus will be tossed out to dry..   Talking about money to BURN :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Sorry Wildman, but I disagree with you.  I think that the Galaxy Nexus is worth the hype!  People who are concerned about hardware aren't as enthusiastic about this phone.  People who like vanilla Android are the ones hyped about this phone.  I think that anyone who hasn't used Honeycomb on a tablet will enjoy learning Android all over again.

 

I'll admit that the hardware is nothing to write home about, except for the large screen size, great resolution and the crisp appearance of text on the screen.  The Nexus S was the same way; it released with hardware that was behind that time period.

 

Where did you get your sales figures and return rates for the iPhone 4S from?  Are you speaking of just VZW, or across all carriers?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
I was talking about on the Verizon network only, the statement wasn't about the device but more along the level of how no matter what the device comes with or is designed the user wont be happy for long.

All I have seen is users getting worked up over a device and after it's released it doesn't take long before they start complaining about the device or working on the next released device.

It is just a phone and by next month it will be a forgotten technology like all devices before it..

All I am saying the device wont change the world and to get worked up on a device that is basically old already because the technology in this device has not change much from all the other previous versions of the devices released before this one.. Just seems that users can't be happy with what they got for longer than a month or two..

Each to their own...
0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

its a samsung phone, of course people are going to have problems with it

0 Likes
gerio
Specialist - Level 2
I was looking forward to GNex coming out and persuading me to come back from the fruity side.

Now I no longer care...

This update and release thing has gotta get eons better before I care again..

Geri O
0 Likes
droidsw
Specialist - Level 1
"Everyone" looking forward to the Nexus like they were the Thunderbolt and Bionic? Then, what? The big letdown.

Up until about 6 months ago, I couldn't have imagined NOT being interested in the Nexus, or whatever next "latest and greatest" is coming soon from Android.

Not anymore.

ICS might change that, but for some reason (bloat, OEM skins, bad apps, etc.), I doubt it. Not interested in rooting and I just noticed that word wasn't edited in the OP's
post, whatever that means.
0 Likes
techjunkie64
Newbie

I am still looking forward to the Nexus, either on Verizon on the 15th, OR on a GSM network as soon as one gets here when ordered on the 15th...

 

For me, it's not about a 10% faster processor, or extra MP in the camera (I've taken *maybe* 75 pictures over the last 2 years with my OG Droid - I just don't give a rip about taking pictures.  For me, it is the vanilla Android experience.  I've been running pure Android since day 1 with my OG Droid.  My daughter has been running vanilla Android on her Eris since the 1st day it was available. 

 

It's not a matter of when/if your non-Nexus device gets ICS, the FACT is, that once ICS is released for that device, don't expect it to get any more updates.  In 6 months, users with those devices will be whining and crying "Why aren't we getting Jelly Bean". Those with an encrypted/locked boot loader (Motorola) won't even have the option to go else-where for their updates.

 

I have a terrible feeling that I'll probably have to leave Verizon in a couple of years when the 4th or 5th Nexus device is released, simply because of the way Verizon is botching this release, I seriously doubt Verizon will be getting any more "Nexus Love" from Google.  (Of course, that could depend on whether there was a *real* problem with the Nexus 4G, or whether it was Verizon pulling a a hindside-retentive, control-freak, angry little-boy didn't get his way, "steve jobs" maneuver on this release.

0 Likes
WraithTDK
Newbie

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

 

Man, I'd be happ just get the 2.2 update for my Galaxy S Continuum, without which the desktop and car docks that they also sold me do not work properly.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

WraithTDK wrote:

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

 

Man, I'd be happ just get the 2.2 update for my Galaxy S Continuum, without which the desktop and car docks that they also sold me do not work properly.


 

ICS=Ice Cream Sandwich =Android 4.x

Android 2.4=Gingerbread

 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

21stNow wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

 

Man, I'd be happ just get the 2.2 update for my Galaxy S Continuum, without which the desktop and car docks that they also sold me do not work properly.


 

ICS=Ice Cream Sandwich =Android 4.x

Android 2.4=Gingerbread

 


2.3.X = Gingerbread 😛

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Thanks for the catch Tidbits.

0 Likes
WraithTDK
Newbie

21stNow wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

 

Man, I'd be happ just get the 2.2 update for my Galaxy S Continuum, without which the desktop and car docks that they also sold me do not work properly.


 

ICS=Ice Cream Sandwich =Android 4.x

Android 2.4=Gingerbread

 



One good correction deserves another. Though technically that wasn't a good correction, as it's inacurate.

 

Android 2.1 = Eclair. It's what the Galaxy S Continuum (and most of the first wave of Galaxy S phones) were released with. But we were promised that very soon we would be upgraded to...

 

Android 2.2 = Froyo. It's what (to the best of my knowledge) all of those Galaxy S phones were upgraded to, and what the Samsung Galaxy S Continuum Desktop and Car docks, which Verizon sold at $40.00 a pop, require to function properly.

 

Android 3.0 = Honeycomb. While it seems out of order, honeycomb was the first version of Android to be created specifically for Tablets, and was released between 2.2/Froyo and...

 

Android 2.3 (not 2.4) = Gingerbread. Released shortly after Honeycomb. While not specifically designed for tablets like Honeycomb was, a lot of tablets still seem to run on it.

 

Android 2.4 (as I said)/4.0 - ICS/Ice Cream Sandwhich. Similar to the way Microsoft consolidated Windows NT and Windows 9X into Windows XP (thus beginning the Home/Pro/etc. versions), ICS is the next version for both phones (2.4) and tablets (4.0).

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

WraithTDK wrote:

21stNow wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

ICS? As in Android 2.4?

 

Man, I'd be happ just get the 2.2 update for my Galaxy S Continuum, without which the desktop and car docks that they also sold me do not work properly.


 

ICS=Ice Cream Sandwich =Android 4.x

Android 2.4=Gingerbread

 



One good correction deserves another. Though technically that wasn't a good correction, as it's inacurate.

 

Android 2.1 = Eclair. It's what the Galaxy S Continuum (and most of the first wave of Galaxy S phones) were released with. But we were promised that very soon we would be upgraded to...

 

Android 2.2 = Froyo. It's what (to the best of my knowledge) all of those Galaxy S phones were upgraded to, and what the Samsung Galaxy S Continuum Desktop and Car docks, which Verizon sold at $40.00 a pop, require to function properly.

 

Android 3.0 = Honeycomb. While it seems out of order, honeycomb was the first version of Android to be created specifically for Tablets, and was released between 2.2/Froyo and...

 

Android 2.3 (not 2.4) = Gingerbread. Released shortly after Honeycomb. While not specifically designed for tablets like Honeycomb was, a lot of tablets still seem to run on it.

 

Android 2.4 (as I said)/4.0 - ICS/Ice Cream Sandwhich. Similar to the way Microsoft consolidated Windows NT and Windows 9X into Windows XP (thus beginning the Home/Pro/etc. versions), ICS is the next version for both phones (2.4) and tablets (4.0).


this really is a flaw of android. i'm a big fan of the OS, but isn't it time something is done about this? the continuum is still stuck on 2.2. the citrus is still stuck on TWO.ONE.....yes 2.1!!!!! i know it's a bit older and cheaper, but it's not THAT old. when you have devices that will be 3 major OS updates behind, then you have a problem, in my opinion. i criticize people for whining and complaining on here about release dates, updates, etc.......but to buy a device and NEVER get an OS update really is wrong to me.

0 Likes
WraithTDK
Newbie

AZSALUKI wrote:

this really is a flaw of android. i'm a big fan of the OS, but isn't it time something is done about this? the continuum is still stuck on 2.2. the citrus is still stuck on TWO.ONE.....yes 2.1!!!!! i know it's a bit older and cheaper, but it's not THAT old. when you have devices that will be 3 major OS updates behind, then you have a problem, in my opinion. i criticize people for whining and complaining on here about release dates, updates, etc.......but to buy a device and NEVER get an OS update really is wrong to me.



No no no, see, this is the problem: the continuum is not on 2.2. It's Supposed to be. They promised us it would be when they sold it to us, and when they sold us accessories that require 2.2. But it's still stuck on 2.1. And this is a Galaxy S phone! A Galaxy S phone that is still being sold!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
That's on Samsung. They were the ones to claim they'll support their products and made restrictions on their accessories when they didn't have to. Knock the doors down at Samsung.
0 Likes
WraithTDK
Newbie

Tidbits wrote:
That's on Samsung. They were the ones to claim they'll support their products and made restrictions on their accessories when they didn't have to. Knock the doors down at Samsung.

Incorrect. FIrst of all, they made an update for it. Verizon is holding it back. That's why XDA has it. Search the forums, this has been discussed many times.

 

As for the accessories, the restrictions aren't in the accesories, it's in the OS. The issue is that the docks have an audio jack in the back that allows you to plug speakers (or a car's aux adapter) into it, thus allowing you to simply slide the phone into the docks and have the audio automatically go through the micro usb port and into the speakers. 

 

The problem is that he ability to chanel the audio through micro usb instead of the audio jack is exclusive to Android 2.2 and above, which is why, when you buy the docks, the boxes advertise these features, and then there's a sticker over the audio jack that says "requires Android 2.2 update."

 

Seems prettly clear that their intention was to have the phone updated soon afterwards, which would fit with most of the reports around here and XDA that it is Verizon, not Samsung, who are blocking the update.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

WraithTDK wrote:

Tidbits wrote:
That's on Samsung. They were the ones to claim they'll support their products and made restrictions on their accessories when they didn't have to. Knock the doors down at Samsung.

Incorrect. FIrst of all, they made an update for it. Verizon is holding it back. That's why XDA has it. Search the forums, this has been discussed many times.

 

As for the accessories, the restrictions aren't in the accesories, it's in the OS. The issue is that the docks have an audio jack in the back that allows you to plug speakers (or a car's aux adapter) into it, thus allowing you to simply slide the phone into the docks and have the audio automatically go through the micro usb port and into the speakers. 

 

The problem is that he ability to chanel the audio through micro usb instead of the audio jack is exclusive to Android 2.2 and above, which is why, when you buy the docks, the boxes advertise these features, and then there's a sticker over the audio jack that says "requires Android 2.2 update."

 

Seems prettly clear that their intention was to have the phone updated soon afterwards, which would fit with most of the reports around here and XDA that it is Verizon, not Samsung, who are blocking the update.


Much like Motorola, and HTC allowing that type of settings by using their own bluetooth stacks on open source software?  Quit kidding yourself when it "requires 2.2" for that stuff to work.  Samsung chose to wait for someone to do it for them while other manufacturers did it themselves, or didn't make accessories that didn't require more than what they were willing to code for.
I did look at XDA...  There are MULTIPLE versions of 2.2 which means Samsung is still working on it.  EC03, and EC07 which were leaked.  Wouldn't surprise me if there are more you don't see or haven't been leaked.  The Vibrant had 13 leaked versions before their final build which people complained about that never felt like it was completed.
0 Likes
WraithTDK
Newbie

Tidbits wrote:

WraithTDK wrote:

Tidbits wrote:
That's on Samsung. They were the ones to claim they'll support their products and made restrictions on their accessories when they didn't have to. Knock the doors down at Samsung.

Incorrect. FIrst of all, they made an update for it. Verizon is holding it back. That's why XDA has it. Search the forums, this has been discussed many times.

 

As for the accessories, the restrictions aren't in the accesories, it's in the OS. The issue is that the docks have an audio jack in the back that allows you to plug speakers (or a car's aux adapter) into it, thus allowing you to simply slide the phone into the docks and have the audio automatically go through the micro usb port and into the speakers. 

 

The problem is that he ability to chanel the audio through micro usb instead of the audio jack is exclusive to Android 2.2 and above, which is why, when you buy the docks, the boxes advertise these features, and then there's a sticker over the audio jack that says "requires Android 2.2 update."

 

Seems prettly clear that their intention was to have the phone updated soon afterwards, which would fit with most of the reports around here and XDA that it is Verizon, not Samsung, who are blocking the update.


Much like Motorola, and HTC allowing that type of settings by using their own bluetooth stacks on open source software?  Quit kidding yourself when it "requires 2.2" for that stuff to work.  Samsung chose to wait for someone to do it for them while other manufacturers did it themselves, or didn't make accessories that didn't require more than what they were willing to code for.
I did look at XDA...  There are MULTIPLE versions of 2.2 which means Samsung is still working on it.  EC03, and EC07 which were leaked.  Wouldn't surprise me if there are more you don't see or haven't been leaked.  The Vibrant had 13 leaked versions before their final build which people complained about that never felt like it was completed.

No, Motorola and HTC did not have that functionality in Android 2.1, either. It's a function of the OS. Search the Android market place for apps that control where the audio goes through. There are a lot of them. Do you know what they all have in common? They all require Android 2.2.  Samsung completed the patch. Verizon is holding it back. Do a little research. It's not hard to vet this stuff.

0 Likes