Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active...when?
yknotbw
Enthusiast - Level 2

U stated that the reason Verizon does not the the phones at the same time was do to cdma technology!! I was simply making a point that sprint uses the same technology as Verizon, and they do get some phones at the same time as ATT.

We all know that sprint is lagging far behind in subscribers and should not have the same buying power that ATT and Verizon, nor should they have the ability to have the same device line up. Just stating a point if cdma is the reason for the slower release, sprint should be in the same boat.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone

dj
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, then, what is your experience with buying an unlocked phone and putting it on the VZW network?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

My experience is that it does not work. If you purchase an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 Active from AT&T, it will not have the CDMA radios needed to work on the Verizon network. Additionally, Verizon only allows phones in its database to access its network.

0 Likes
tidblgr434
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would love to know when also. I have been holding on to our UNLIMITED data. But we have those AWFUL thunderbolt phones. I HAVE BEEN VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS PHONE. it has been the ABSOLUTE WORST phone we have EVER had. I am trying to figure out a way to keep from getting screwed out of our unlimited data. I am thinking we will have to just switch carriers. Hopefully someone can find out when/if verizon will get the s4 active.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I would not expect Verizon to get this device.

0 Likes
PDawg2013
Contributor - Level 1

Well, you are not stating the obvious and your assertion that you were remotely correct is WRONG! Sprint gets phones that come on Verizon and sometimes it's vice versa, BUT, they both tend to be behind all GSM carriers 90 percent of the time due to CDMA tech. Just because a one off phone releases at the same time on CDMA and GSM, does not mean the same time schedule is going to be relevant on the other 99 phones scheduled for release. Prime example is the HTC One on VZW. Does anyone know when it's going to be released? Nope. How about the Nokia 1020? Not coming to VZW or Sprint right? How about the Samsung Active? The list is tooo large to even list all of the inconsistencies you present in your statement above. One thing that I can do being on a GSM network is go and buy any GSM based phone online or in a store and bring it too any GSM carrier and activate it. Does VZW or Sprint allow that? Nope. So, again, the phone market is always going to favor GSM based markets over CDMA because of the endless amounts of phones available on a system that covers 80 to 90 percent of the globe without being forced to buy carrier branded stuff. Once VZW goes LTE (GSM based standard) only, they will be forced open their spectrum to any other phone due to the patent issue related to the technology.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

This may not necessarily be true.  LTE phones still need to operate on the correct band and, currently, there is no multi-band LTE compatible SOC.  More likely than not, this will change in the future (there is already talks of developing these capabilities), but it is certainly not guaranteed.

0 Likes
dj
Enthusiast - Level 3

tibblgr434,

You can keep your unlimited plan intact, but, you will have to pay full price for the phone.  Could be worth it, say you pay $600 for the Galaxy S4 Active...that is $400 over the discounted rate that Verizon offers you on the phone if you completely change your plan into one that does not have unlimited data.  Your plan does not change in its terms and your plan does not change in price and you get a pretty good phone, maybe.  You would not have a contract and could jump ship anytime...however, not everyone uses CMDA and your phone may not be transferable to another carrier.

Fabulous, yes?

>>Profanity removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jhawkinson

I still have my unlimited data plan and get my upgrades at the discounted price.  I typically go in every time I am eligible.  I haven't this year because I am holding out to see if they do get the Active and my service has been really crappy lately.  For what our family pays per month for our service plans, I would expect to get better service so we are contemplating switching to a different provider once all our contracts are up, or most of them are up.  We just have to shop around and ask friends about the providers they have to see who offers the best service for our area and when we travel.  Hate switching since we were with Alltel before they were bought out by Verizon, so technically with the same provider for about 10 years.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for 10 years, jhawkinson. Your loyalty is appreciated. We are concerned about the service you have been getting, especially if there has been a decline in service. Where are you located? Have we sent an engineer out to check the area for you?
For information regarding new products & service, check out http://bit.ly/n5snpq.

Tamara_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes