Software Issues with Upgrade to 4.1.2
jim_gordon

So far I've noticed the following with the upgrade:

1) The spell-check no longer functions  when typing into HTML fields in the browser.  The functionality still works in Gmail when creating a message.  The functionality is also gone in the Dolphin browser, so it does not appear to be browser-specific.  Spell-check was added in a past upgrade, and was very useful.  Are there others having this problem?  Does anyone know of a way to get it to work?  Is there any way to complain to Google directly?  Are there plans to reinstate the functionality in a later upgrade?

2) The Downloads application no longer displays downloads that occurred prior to the upgrade.  The files can still be accessed by using the Files application and searching around, but this is not as convenient, certainly, as using Downloads.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone do you have? There are quite a few of the Verizon Wireless phones with updates. It is helpful to know which phone model you are having trouble with.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jim_gordon

The phone is Motorola Droid 4, which has a built-in keyboard, although on the face of it, neither issue appears to be hardware-related.  Prior to the release, misspelled words were underlined, and by tapping on the word a set of suggested spellings would pop up.  Now, misspelled words are no longer underlined, so I have to proofread pretty carefully to make sure that there are no misspellings.  As I indicated in my original post, the spell check seems to be operating as before when composing an e-mail on the phone.  In terms of the download feature, it is quite possible that Android 4.1.2 puts files in a different location from earlier versions.

0 Likes
jim_gordon

It seems like a lot of input functions were messed up in HTML fields by the 4.1.2 upgrade. For example, Swipe capitalizes every word (if initial capitalization is turned on) and does not insert spaces between words. Also, if Swype picks the wrong word and I choose a different one from the list, it sticks it in the upper left of the field instead of replacing the incorrect word.

Also, If I use the keyboard to select text for deletion, by holding down the shift key and pressing the arrow keys, the selection occurs, but the cursor disappears and there is no indication as to what is selected.

None of these issues arise when I compose e-mails in the gmail app.

This is one case where I wish I had not accepted the upgrade. Is there anywhere to post bugs for the android developers so they know what needs to be fixed?

0 Likes